Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone go from 650B to 700c on a Rove ST?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 12:05 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I've got a 2019 Rove ST with 650B Ventures and this thing is a shredder in the dirt--a total blast. But I'm starting to contemplate a 700c wheelset. I know there's all manner of discussion on this forum of 650B vs 700c in regards to speed, etc. - in a nutshell, I'm starting to feel like the 650B is a bit sluggish on the road (my other bike is a 700c singlespeed and I do feel it rolls "faster" relatively speaking).
Just curious if anyone else has gone from 650B to 700c on their Rove, and how that has worked out for them.
Old 08-13-20, 12:26 PM
D-Fuzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I have a Rove NRB and I have two sets of 650b wheels, one with Ventures and the other with Horizons. I use the Horizons for commuting as they roll better on pavement and are quieter. A Rove with 700c wheels is essentially a Jake the Snake, which I have ridden, and I did not find much appreciable difference to my Rove.
Old 08-13-20, 03:06 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
I have a Rove NRB and I have two sets of 650b wheels, one with Ventures and the other with Horizons. I use the Horizons for commuting as they roll better on pavement and are quieter. A Rove with 700c wheels is essentially a Jake the Snake, which I have ridden, and I did not find much appreciable difference to my Rove.
I've had ByWays on my Rove - I don't notice much of a speed/rolling penalty w the Ventures compared to those, but I do tend to adjust my pressure and go higher for pavement.
Would be curious to see how this bike feels w 700c. My other bike is a Cross Check so it's a fairly different beast.
Old 08-13-20, 03:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
650b should feel faster with similar tires due to the lower rotational inertia. Not that it really means anything. If you are going to go to 700c, will you have to use smaller tires? It's all confirmation bias, so if you think it will be faster, it probably will feel faster.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-13-20, 04:16 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by unterhausen
650b should feel faster with similar tires due to the lower rotational inertia. Not that it really means anything. If you are going to go to 700c, will you have to use smaller tires? It's all confirmation bias, so if you think it will be faster, it probably will feel faster.
Good question. Looks like Kona says 700x40 will fit the Rove ST but I think that's waaay conservative. I wouldn't want to go down to 40 - it'll still see plenty of dirt.