Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Newbie to biking, tri's and this forum --- advice

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 02-05-13, 07:21 PM
TXBamanut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been reading some, but just wanted to get an opinion from more experienced people than I. I put this in the "what about this bike" sticky, but then I noticed no one has posted there since early 2012, so I thought I'd make a new thread...not meaning to clutter up the board.

I'm not even a beginner triathlete yet. Just branching from strictly running (5ks and such), and am thinking of dipping my feet into a sprint triathlon. I don't want to invest huge (there's probably a very different meaning to that word between me and some of you), but I was thinking about starting with a Hybrid and fitting it with some thinner tires. My thinking is that if I don't stay doing triathlons that I will keep biking and my kids are just getting to the biking age, so it could double as something I could ride over ground with if need be. If I stay with the tri's and go longer or get more serious about it, then I'll sink money, but just not sure yet.

I was looking at a used Fuji Absolute 2.0 2009...what are you guys' opinions on that plan? (keeping in mind, I'm going from "no ride in 25 years" to this...no laughing, please)
Old 02-05-13, 08:52 PM
Millerad1651

Bikes: 2007 Kona King Kikapu - 2012 Raleigh Misceo Trail - 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento - 1989 Nishiki Blazer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same exact boat as you. Picking my first bike in 12 years up Friday. Its a Raleigh Hybrid. Since ive never done a tri, I'm not sure if ill do any more, and didn't want to be stuck with a bike I wont ride. I've read on a few different sites that its perfectly fine to use one for a sprint tri (some have divisions specifically for them). Best quote I found about what type of bike, "doesn't matter what type of bike you use, as long as you're actually using it."
Old 02-05-13, 08:57 PM
TXBamanut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Millerad1651
I'm in the same exact boat as you. Picking my first bike in 12 years up Friday. Its a Raleigh Hybrid. Since ive never done a tri, I'm not sure if ill do any more, and didn't want to be stuck with a bike I wont ride. I've read on a few different sites that its perfectly fine to use one for a sprint tri (some have divisions specifically for them). Best quote I found about what type of bike, "doesn't matter what type of bike you use, as long as you're actually using it."
Good point. Feel better already.
Old 02-06-13, 10:27 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long time cyclist, new to running (my 1st events/races ever are between now and April), no tri experience (that swimming thing), several folks I ride with compete in tri's. Their advice is same as what M1651 said - ride what you have, don't worry about it, enjoy the experience, then decide if a tri-specific bike is in your future. One friend (had a road bike when he started so just added clip-on aero bars) told me the advice he received was until he can tell the bike leg is holding back his overall results, don't worry about the bike - time and $$ are better spent on improving fitness, technique, and transitions. If you already have a bike, use what you have, and if you prefer a hybrid or other style for all your riding besides races, I'd look at satisfying those needs first. If the Fuji meets your requirements, go for it, and enjoy using it.
Old 02-06-13, 02:53 PM
mystang52

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite; Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ditto to the other responders. I, too, was predominantly a runner-only. I then took up swimming and last summer did my first 2 sprint Tri's. The first one I used my trusty old hybrid. I was planning to get a road bike anyway, so I had a road bike for the second Tri. However, until/unless you get hooked on Tri's, I would counsel against buying a road bike or Tri bike lest you be out substantial money for what might be a passing fad.
Incidentally, for what it is worth I believe I am hooked on Tri's and plan to do several this year. If my experience is typical, you may indeed find yourself similarly hooked.
Old 02-07-13, 12:03 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
I think you'll quickly find the hybrid to not be what you want. Nothing wrong with doing a sprint tri on a hybrid if you already have a hybrid. But, imho, it's not the bike you want to start with.

I'd buy a decent road bike, perhaps used, depending on your budget.

If you never do another tri, you can still ride the road bike with your kids, and you can use it for longer, faster rides, than the hybrid would be appropriate for.

If you do some more tri's, you can add aerobars, and wheel covers to the road bike and have a serviceable tri bike, until, and unless you get really competitive about it.

And if you get really competitive about tri's and end up buying a full on tt/tri bike, you can still use the road bike for group rides.

So in most scenarios, the road bike is going to serve you better than the hybrid.

If you're hell bent on something you could ride off road with your kids, and still use for a tri, get a cyclocross bike, and put skinny tires on it. It will work for the family rides, and be much better for a tri than a hybrid.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-09-13, 02:36 PM
andyJC

Bikes: Mtn Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid is fine for just having fun and a good way to get out there.
Road bike is a bit better(i.e. Faster)
Triathlon bike is if you really, really, really care.

Avoid the road bike with aero bars. Using aero bars requires a different seating position and putting aero bars on road bike is a quick way to an IT band injury...
Old 02-11-13, 09:26 PM
b2run

Bikes: KHS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people on this site focus on biking so there usually isn't much action on the triathlon part. Have you looked at Beginner Triathlon? It has an active forum and lots of people willing to help out.
https://beginnertriathlete.com/
I was a runner and did my first try a tri last summer with a 25 year old ten speed. If you aren't sure you want to stick with it, find some cheap thing and do a try a tri.
I personally found triathlon training much more satisfying than strictly running. You get a lot of different muscles involved, it's a challenge, and I feel more fit overall. It's also more enjoyable since you're not running for every practice.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-13, 02:22 PM
TXBamanut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys! Guess I should have asked sooner. I bought a hybrid, but I do like it. It's in good shape, so I can flip it on Craigslist, if I get serious. Will definitely check out beginner triathlete... so far biking is way less painful than running.
Originally Posted by b2run
Most people on this site focus on biking so there usually isn't much action on the triathlon part. Have you looked at Beginner Triathlon? It has an active forum and lots of people willing to help out.
https://beginnertriathlete.com/
I was a runner and did my first try a tri last summer with a 25 year old ten speed. If you aren't sure you want to stick with it, find some cheap thing and do a try a tri.
I personally found triathlon training much more satisfying than strictly running. You get a lot of different muscles involved, it's a challenge, and I feel more fit overall. It's also more enjoyable since you're not running for every practice.

Good luck.