Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Boosting the mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 09:04 PM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Boosting the mileage

I have been trying to gradually increase riding and the mileage. I was hoping to do a metric century ride this weekend or next with the goal of a century at the end of June. Unfortunately, due to weather, work, family, etc (all the usual culprits) I am not quite as far along as I had hoped. My longest rides have been 40 miles with no real problems. (Last year my longest was 55 miles)

Any reason why I couldn't do a metric this weekend, or would it be best to wait another week or so? I don't want to push myself past what would make sense, but this is new territory for me so I would rather ask for advice from those with more experience.
Old 05-20-13, 09:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
yes, you can do it.
Old 05-20-13, 10:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
You definitely can, and I'm sure the only challenge is mental. Break up the ride into 15-20 mile chunks separated by breaks so you never have the entire 62.1 miles staring you in the face at once.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-21-13, 04:21 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Just done an imperial (charity ride) with many unprepared riders (some of them on a road bike for the first time) and they all finished - they were just in considerable more pain than the trained riders. Just have fun, keep yourself hydrated and before you know it you're there.
Old 05-21-13, 04:36 AM
etw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cool. That is what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure I was not off base. Thanks for the comments!
Old 05-21-13, 01:27 PM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for it. Take it a mite easier (not a race), especially at the beginning, and stay on top of hydration & food appropriate to the conditions and what has worked for you in the past. Remember to enjoy it! The rough rule of thumb I believe is if you have done 75% of the event distance, fitness & motivation will get you the rest of the way (many century training plans have a 75-ish mile ride 1-2 weeks before the big event as a final prep & check). 40 to 60 is a bit larger jump, but you've done closer before and it's not like you are new to all this. Caveat if your riding has been on flat terrain and the event is hilly (my 1st metric!) - low gears and lots of patience are your friends!
Old 06-19-13, 08:55 PM
etw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I ended up doing the metric a few weeks back and it went well. Since then I have done a few weekend rides in the 40-54 mile range. I am hoping to get out on some good rides in the next few days with the possibility aiming for a century in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-22-13, 10:09 AM
brianogilvie 
Commuter & cyclotourist

Bikes: Boulder All Road, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Breezer Uptown 8, Bike Friday Express Tikit, Trek MultiTrack 730 (Problem? No, I don't have a problem)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you!
Old 06-26-13, 08:19 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
I don't want to push myself past what would make sense, but this is new territory for me so I would rather ask for advice from those with more experience.
Yes Grasshopper - you are indeed filled with clarity this great and generous day!!!! My sense and your sense must one day unite in a cosmic meeting understanding of time, distance and the meaning of life.

May you have the most joyous ride this very week end - and may your joy be found when the miles you have ridden outnumber the demons that plague you mind.