Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Terry Symmetry Sizing?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Terry Symmetry Sizing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 09:53 PM
mooshrimp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terry Symmetry Sizing?

I am looking a Terry Symmetry bike to commute with (about 20 miles total/day) and have heard a lot of good things about Terry Bikes for women with short torsos and small hands. The issue is I'm looking at sizing and the XL geometry matches my really well fitting carbon bike almost exactly. I'm only 5'6" so it seems impossible I can be an XL. BikesDirect recommends that size for 5'9" women. The stand-over and effective top tube length are identical though. I've tried to find a LBS that carries it, but there's no one within 50 miles. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
Old 09-08-14, 09:39 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I don't see any issue. So they call it XL. If the numbers jibe with what you know (and love) and call L (or M) it doesn't really matter. It should fit you fine.

H
Old 09-08-14, 12:22 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend finding your closest Terry dealer and buying one from a real person rather than an internet store. At a real LBS you will be able to test ride, and someone who knows what they are doing will be able to fit the bike to you. I'd take a long drive to get to an LBS especially for a bike like the Terry Symmetry.

My daughter rides an older Terry Symmetry and it is a fantastic bike for her, but they are unconventional, so harder to fit.
Old 09-08-14, 01:29 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I though Terry switched to custom bikes? Anything I can find online is older stock.
Old 09-08-14, 02:05 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by mooshrimp
I am looking a Terry Symmetry bike to commute with (about 20 miles total/day) and have heard a lot of good things about Terry Bikes for women with short torsos and small hands. The issue is I'm looking at sizing and the XL geometry matches my really well fitting carbon bike almost exactly. I'm only 5'6" so it seems impossible I can be an XL. BikesDirect recommends that size for 5'9" women. The stand-over and effective top tube length are identical though. I've tried to find a LBS that carries it, but there's no one within 50 miles. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
Two possibilities come to mind. Either your current bike is too large or you aren't measuring the bike properly. At 5'6", I really doubt that you would be riding a 59cm bike of any kind which is what the Terry is. That's a very large bike...I ride a 58cm bike in just about any flavor you want to look at and I'm 5'11". I bought one of the flat bar Symmetry's (actually bought 2 of them) for my wife and the sizing was spot on for her (5' tall).

I'd measure your bike again. The XL just seems too big. On the other hand, BD does pay for return shipping.

Originally Posted by sauerwald
I would recommend finding your closest Terry dealer and buying one from a real person rather than an internet store. At a real LBS you will be able to test ride, and someone who knows what they are doing will be able to fit the bike to you. I'd take a long drive to get to an LBS especially for a bike like the Terry Symmetry.

My daughter rides an older Terry Symmetry and it is a fantastic bike for her, but they are unconventional, so harder to fit.
I don't think that Terry works the way it did long ago. The "dealers" for Terry carry the clothing and other items but they don't usually carry bikes, at least not in my experience. I agree that people should go to bike shops for the service and avoid on-line bicycle purchases...unless they are very, very experienced in bicycle fitting. However, that's not easy to do with the Terry's

Originally Posted by linnefaulk
I though Terry switched to custom bikes? Anything I can find online is older stock.
Bikes Direct had a number of Terry's from old stock. I picked one up for my wife back in the spring with which she is very pleased. I have another one in a box waiting to go to Tucson next spring.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-08-14, 02:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
symmetry is making both wheels the same size She just made the front one smaller when the smallest cogs were 13t. 28r/24f
now with cassettes in 11t that doesn't matter

Read one of her frame building contracts is with Waterford.

Aluminum ones here : https://www.terrybicycles.com/Bicycle...metry-Drop-Bar

and the Phone number to call and ask .. Ms Terry, Current Bikes ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-08-14 at 02:51 PM.