Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Asking for feedback from bike rack users

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-12-14, 11:12 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok so i like to ask all people who use bike racks on their cars to transport your bike. Presently i have a sedan and when i transport my bike i just take front wheel off and put bike in trunk etc of the car, works fine, but just a small hassle to do so

now with the bike racks, for you all use bike racks do you find it a hassle to put bike on rack and secure it
or would it seem more easy and quicker to use a bike rack to secure bike in transit, i am talking more of the bike racks that go at back of car, no roof rack

so feedback please
Old 12-12-14, 11:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 218 Posts
I've never really gotten comfortable with carrying expensive bikes on the outside of my car. In my opinion the best (and cheapest) bike rack is a canvas drop cloth from Sherwin Williams to protect your car seats.
Old 12-12-14, 11:30 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife's FIAT has a glass roof, so hitch mount is the only option for her. Mounting rack to car is easy, and mounting bikes to rack is also easy. My car has a roof rack and a hitch rack. Neither one takes much work to load up. I have 2 fork mount and 2 frame mount units on the roof- prefer the fork mount, even though taking the front wheel off is another step. We both have Yakima racks on the hitch mounts. Hers is the lightweight one- has an aluminum mast and only weighs 20 pounds- holds 2 bikes. I have the DoubleDown Ace that holds 4 bikes. Both have cable locks integrated into the rack, but I usually add additional security if we leave the car parked anywhere for any length of time.
Old 12-12-14, 11:51 AM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Longer, larger bikes don't fit in all trunks even with the front wheel off.

We usually carry two to three bikes when we use the rack and carry 3 people in the car.
Old 12-12-14, 02:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 211 Posts
For my previous car I had both a roof and a hitch rack. I still put my bike inside the car 90% of the time, particularly for longer drives. Of the 2 racks, the hitch rack was far easier to install and remove, so I used it much more often than the roof rack. I don't have a hitch on my current car and the roof rack doesn't fit it so I put my bike inside the car. It is a hatchback and tall enough that bikes fit inside standing up with the front wheel off. I have a race that is designed to clip into the setback latches. A bike inside the car is less likely to be damaged or stolen. As a bonus, fuel economy on the highway is far better if you forgo the rack and put your bike inside. I can get my mountain bike inside the car without even removing the front wheel.
Mercedes B200
Old 12-12-14, 03:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 798 Posts
The strap on the trunk types work well enough .. stow in the boot when not using it

roofracks add a significant Drag on your Gas mileage . [unless you slow down then its less ]
Old 12-12-14, 04:19 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a roof rack and a trunk rack. I prefer the roof rack on a sedan, but the trunk rack is better on an SUV due to the height of the SUV and difficulty loading/unloading associated with the increased height. The reason for preferring a roof rack is that the bikes are much more secure. The straps on my trunk rack have to be tied in knots on longer trips to prevent them from loosening, which happens. Also, the bike's paint gets trashed on the trunk rack because the bikes move around and either rub the rack or one another. In addition, the car's paint can be damaged by a bike's pedal or bars rubbing somewhere. On my next car, I may go with a hitch rack that has individual trays for each bike so they don't move around and ruin the paint.
Old 12-13-14, 06:19 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Kona Rove ST, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Takes me less than five minutes to mount my Saris Bones rack and bike.

Sometimes I'm just lazy though.

I think it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 12-13-14, 11:48 AM
simplybao

Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hitch mounted one that takes a minute to secure the bike. It's a Kuat Sherpa and I love it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-13-14, 11:54 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a trunk mount and Hitch Rack. The hitch rack is easy to put in the hitch and takes leterally seconds to get the bike onto the rack. The rack folds up when not in use so I leave it on the car for weeks at a time sometimes. $100 bucks for the hitch on ebay, and $100 for the rack on Craigslist and it was almost new.

StickUp | Yakima
Old 12-14-14, 11:42 AM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on how far I'm going and with how much gear.

I dislike the additional aerodynamic drag of a bike/rack if I'm going more than a few hundred miles but fork-mounted on the roof rack is more convenient for frequent loading/unloading while still leaving room for people/gear in a small car. I rarely travel with only one person/bike which could be a key distinction.

Hitch racks complicate access to the trunk/hatch.