Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pictures of happy tandem couples?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Pictures of happy tandem couples?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 04:14 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's obvious looking at the last two great pictures that Northern California has the superior weather. Congrats PG on your second ride. Riding along the ocean is special. JTG and PG, you're both within easy driving distance of the Lighthouse Century (or 100K) with miles of coastal riding down SLOB way, but registration begins 5 June at noon and fills up fast!
Old 05-09-11, 05:18 PM
photogeek

Bikes: 07 Jamis Quest, old hardtail Trek mtb (beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are looking for a first century in the fall and Lighthouse is on our list! Also considering Foxy's or the Harvest ride in Ukiah.
Old 05-16-11, 11:41 AM
Possum Roadkill

Bikes: Giant TCR, Santana Team Scandium, Co-Motion Equator, Giant NRS Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part of our Spring tour to the coast on tandem. Four tandems did the ride. This is the downhill after the climb out of Parkfield.

Old 05-16-11, 12:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by Possum Roadkill
Part of our Spring tour to the coast on tandem. Four tandems did the ride. This is the downhill after the climb out of Parkfield.
Beautiful descent, lovely gradient. How is the camera supported/attached?
Old 05-16-11, 12:34 PM
Possum Roadkill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camera is a GoPro HD Helmet Hero cam. It comes with a helmet mount but you can order a ches strap for it. The helmet mount doesn't look as nice unless you are following bikes or have it mounted so either the stoker is in view or the captains back is in view. Otherwise you might as well be driving a car down the hill. The helmet mount can be tiring on a long ride if you use it exclusively.
Old 05-30-11, 04:32 PM
AngelGendy
Nipples of Steel!

Bikes: Borthwick, Specialized, Ross

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Along the Rio Grande....

Angel and Gendy..

Old 05-31-11, 08:29 AM
chichi

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Did you climb the dirt road out of Parkfield? Recently did the descent on the single which I do not think my stoker would enjoy on the tandem.
BTW do you think the million dollar road is rideable, or would there still be do much water on it?
Old 05-31-11, 06:07 PM
wheelspeed

Bikes: '06 Titus mtb, 2004 Trek T2000 tandem, '88 Merckx 753, '18 Emonda, '91 Cannondale mtb, '19 Trance 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow! That looks beautiful!

Although, it looks like a "crotch-cam" to me, like you strapped it to your, er, boom tube. ;-)
Old 06-06-11, 06:16 AM
TeamTandem

Bikes: A pair of Cannondale F5s and a Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Saturday ride on our Cannondale tandem MB. Select 720p for best playback results...

Last edited by TeamTandem; 06-06-11 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-06-11, 08:16 AM
Possum Roadkill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chichi
Did you climb the dirt road out of Parkfield? Recently did the descent on the single which I do not think my stoker would enjoy on the tandem.
BTW do you think the million dollar road is rideable, or would there still be do much water on it?
Yes, we climbed the dirt road. We did the descent coming in on the other side, which is paved. Last I heard, the waterfall too high. It's not a bad ride though to ride in just to the waterfall and turn back.
Old 06-08-11, 11:18 AM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Top of Metcalf in the south Bay Area:

Old 06-09-11, 02:19 PM
HorsCO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First century on our new (to us) Santana!
Attached Images
Old 06-10-11, 06:51 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice bike. Enjoy
Old 06-13-11, 07:45 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the future Mrs. JayC posing with our tandem before going out yesterday.

Here we are after about 20 miles out.

First time we've had the tandem out on about a year. I was concerned the bike might have flat spots on the tires but they were fine. We had a nice ride, I wish I didnt hate this thing so bad.

Last edited by JayC; 06-13-11 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 09:22 AM
JeffandKathy
Tandem newbies

Bikes: Burley Duet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Taylor Reservoir, Ride the Rockies 2011. First multi-day tour on our Burley Duet, which we obtained in March. This photo is about 30 miles into an 80-mile ride that went over a 12,126-foot pass in the mountains in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VID00068.jpg (103.1 KB, 1020 views)
Old 06-21-11, 05:05 PM
bayareawheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
son went for a ride with me on fathers day...actually enjoyed himself so im gonna drag him out to a club ride to show him how much fun it is to drop the roadies ;-)

Old 06-22-11, 11:44 AM
JeffandKathy
Tandem newbies

Bikes: Burley Duet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngelGendy
Dig the basket!
Old 06-25-11, 05:14 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I have been riding singles for 5 and ~4 years respectively now. About 5 weeks ago or so she crashed out of a local (rainy) Crit and broke her collarbone. Boo. Some good friends had just upgraded to a new tandem and agreed to loan us their old one for a while to get her back on the bike sooner. My wife is quite independent and extremely capable on her own bike, so I expected her to really dislike the tandem. First ride was about 30 miles, and we both had a blast. We've since been out on it a couple more times, including some legitimate climbing (5 mi. @ 6-7% grade, second picture) and really had a blast. A bit surprising, as this bike is ~45 lbs. She enjoys the fact that we can both ride a strong pace and be together doing it. I tend to agree. She's the perfect kind of stoker, small and strong. The friends have casually offered to sell it to us eventually if we're interested, but the stoker cockpit is too small unfortunately. She doesn't have enough reach and is already 1-2 inches behind KOPS, so a setback post won't help. Not sure if we'll eventually end up shopping for and buying our own, but in the meantime, I'd call us a "Happy Tandem Couple" for sure. All our rides have been "alone" so no pictures on the bike unfortunately.

Last edited by Tunnelrat81; 06-25-11 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-25-11, 06:13 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My wife and I ride singles together. I have been thinking about a tandem, she was excited at the suggestion. This thread is a "deal closer". Thanks for your contributions!
Old 06-26-11, 09:31 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Tunnelrat81;12840030]My wife and I have been riding singles for 5 and ~4 years respectively now. About 5 weeks ago or so she crashed out of a local (rainy) Crit and broke her collarbone. Boo. Some good friends had just upgraded to a new tandem and agreed to loan us their old one for a while to get her back on the bike sooner. My wife is quite independent and extremely capable on her own bike, so I expected her to really dislike the tandem. First ride was about 30 miles, and we both had a blast. We've since been out on it a couple more times, including some legitimate climbing (5 mi. @ 6-7% grade, second picture) and really had a blast. A bit surprising, as this bike is ~45 lbs. She enjoys the fact that we can both ride a strong pace and be together doing it. I tend to agree. She's the perfect kind of stoker, small and strong. The friends have casually offered to sell it to us eventually if we're interested, but the stoker cockpit is too small unfortunately. She doesn't have enough reach and is already 1-2 inches behind KOPS, so a setback post won't help. Not sure if we'll eventually end up shopping for and buying our own, but in the meantime, I'd call us a "Happy Tandem Couple" for sure. All our rides have been "alone" so no pictures on the bike unfortunately.

I hope you keep riding tandems. Strong young teams can show people how fast and how much fun tandem riding can be. Go out and drop some people.
See this link for a great ride report from a strong team at the Hotter n Hell 100.

https://www.precisiontandems.com/hhh05.htm
Old 06-26-11, 10:38 AM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81
She enjoys the fact that we can both ride a strong pace and be together doing it. I tend to agree.
You could be doing the Raincross ride together. I've been doing our club's group rides on the tandem, and it is neat to have her along. And Mrs. Ritterview isn't likely to fracture a clavicle in any crits, so with your nascent stoker, it could be really fun.
Old 06-27-11, 10:25 AM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maiden voyage:

DSCN2245 by namgge, on Flickr

Touring/MTB:

tweed 2010 by namgge, on Flickr

Last edited by Ray R; 06-27-11 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-27-11, 03:21 PM
tie dye tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is our family about to board the ferry for our recent trip to the island of Bornholm which is part of Denmark, even though it is closer to Sweden, Germany, and Poland. It is a great place to ride. The island is 40 km by 30 km, and has over 200 km of cycle paths, and many small roads that were low in traffic. Danes are very considerate to cyclists since almost all of them still have relatives of all ages who cycle. We are completing a year in Denmark and will be readjusting to So. Cal. soon. The quad goes back via DHL tomorrow...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ToFerry.jpg (100.5 KB, 329 views)
Old 06-28-11, 01:41 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
You could be doing the Raincross ride together. I've been doing our club's group rides on the tandem, and it is neat to have her along. And Mrs. Ritterview isn't likely to fracture a clavicle in any crits, so with your nascent stoker, it could be really fun.
We typically do the the Raincross ride on our singles. Usually not the whole ride though. We'll cruise down to Riverside with them (usually 19-22 mph avg. I'd guess) and will stay with them once they pick the pace up until the Mrs. can't hold the pace anymore. From there we'll circle back and head home. We also have a couple of really good weekday evening rides that happen throughout the summer season, one a hill climbing circuit over Sunset Ave, the other a practice crit at a nearby industrial square block. I'd definitely feel comfortable riding the Sunset climbing ride on the Tandem, but anything technical or intense like the Raincross or Crit practice I wouldn't feel comfortable doing. The Crit practice usually averages 25-26 with lots of surging, and she's strong enough that just before her crash, she was able to ride in the field the entire 45 min. + 2 laps. I've been incredibly impressed with her over the last two years as she's gotten stronger and stronger, but her crash has really put a damper on her cycling fitness. . And she's been stuck at work late enough so far that we're unable to get out and do the Sunset (Hogi Yogi) ride either. So it's only been a few weekend rides so far. We'll get trounced on sunset though because of the weight of this tandem. If we had a nice light one, I'm pretty sure we could break some hearts on that ride. We'd be nowhere near the front, but we would surely be able to put some uncomfortable pressure on a good number of folks. =)

-Jeremy

Last edited by Tunnelrat81; 06-28-11 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 04:04 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Here is a picture of us finishing the 2011 Tulsa Tough, our longest ride and hilliest in several years. She was much happier after we stopped and had a couple of cold ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.