Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 07:12 AM
Slammin

Bikes: 1989 Trek 1500 58 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
I just took the Trek 8300 out for another test ride and I have to say that it rides like a champ..
Soap and water made that much of a difference? You sounded really unenthusiastic the first time.
Old 04-02-13, 07:33 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
[QUOTE=sauze;15455365]Hey vintage MTB'ers , this is probably more of a light trail / gravel grinder type bike but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the 26ers offered by Maruishi ?

I'm looking at picking up this bike (mostly for components / wheels for another build) but would probably 're build' it for my dad as just a mess around / do anything bike.

Not a great pic , but the only one I've got at the moment. Specs?

Really nice bike...Deerhead with Takagi crank. There's one local to me that I've been trying to buy for years.
Old 04-02-13, 08:00 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
My second early Norco Bigfoot, maybe 85? Suntour equipped but missing the front derailleur and pedals. Nice condition.

Old 04-02-13, 08:14 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Slammin
Soap and water made that much of a difference? You sounded really unenthusiastic the first time.
hah.. I didn't even clean it yet .. To be fair I didn't really give it a good test ride the first time, and I think I was allowing my preconceived notions of what I expected the bike to be like to affect my thoughts. It definitely is different from steel, but i'm not sure it's in a bad way. I was feeling unsure, and especially after I got a similarly weighted steel bike i was even feeling a little annoyed with myself for splurging when steel mtbs can be had for cheap. But after today's test ride i'm feeling a lot more pleased. I'll have to wait till I get both ~26 lb bikes set up how i like them before i can be really sure.
Old 04-02-13, 08:47 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
This is probably my favorite thread.
I bought my first mountain bike in 1982 or 83. Cant remember exactly. But I have a lot of positive associations with those times.... and those bikes.
Old 04-02-13, 09:57 AM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just took the Trek 8300 out for another test ride and I have to say that it rides like a champ.. I didn't really notice any significant transfer of road feel, or at least not anything that was unacceptable. It does feel stiff, but it also has a "bouncy" feel. The main things that came to mind are "light, agile and precise". I just need to get some road slicks on there to really tell how fast it is.

I was feeling a bit of buyers remorse especially after picking up the similarly weighted steel Diamondback for so much less money, but I'm feeling a lot more pleased
Im glad you are liking it more now. I bet tat once you get some lighter tires on it the bike will perk up quite a bit. Sure that diamondback might be SLIGHTLY lighter, but lets be honest that Trek looks so much better.
Old 04-02-13, 10:04 AM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sauze
Hey vintage MTB'ers , this is probably more of a light trail / gravel grinder type bike but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the 26ers offered by Maruishi ?

I'm looking at picking up this bike (mostly for components / wheels for another build) but would probably 're build' it for my dad as just a mess around / do anything bike.

Not a great pic , but the only one I've got at the moment. Specs?

That's "loaded" for a mid-80s ATB. Very nice selection of well-regarded components.
Old 04-02-13, 10:16 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by andyfloyd
lets be honest that Trek looks so much better.
yes there is no doubt about that! the frame construction is awesome with the weld-less aluminum lugs/stays, and the naked crabon!! haha.. the 95 Apex is actually the first frame i've considered getting powder coated since neither the decals nor the colors do anything for me.
Old 04-02-13, 10:22 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
^ wow love that paint scheme!! I also just picked up a composite bike from 1993...

1993 Trek 8300 with Suntour XC Comp

Unfortunately the original shifters were replaced with grip shifters and the accushift indexing leaves a lot to be desired. I'll probably swap out the suntour hub for something that I can install a hyperglide cassette on. Or i might do a single speed conversion with the wheel.

As far as the ride, I haven't taken it for a long ride but it's noticeably stiffer than any of my steel rides. It's also lighter than any of my steel mtbs at 25.95 lbs (i laughed when the scale was that close to 26 w/o going over). The catalog advertised it at 24 with the stock folding tires. It feels pretty speedy and agile.. I'm thinking of turning it into a road machine with drop bars. I'll need to work out the fit though.. it's a bit small for me and the bars are in a weird place.
A bit slow catching up on this thread, but the Accushift will never fly with Grip Shifters, I haven't had a problem with the Accushift 6 & 7spd indexing well, maybe not as good as Shimano but it's not bad for the type of riding I do. I am setting up a Japanese Bianchi Touring bike with full XC Comp, although not the 94mm MD crank, I found a NOS 110mm XC Comp crank at work. I bought a 7spd XC Comp cassette hub & cassette from Loose Screws very cheap that I am going to build a 700c rear wheel for it, right now I have a AP New Winner freewheel on it and as I said it shifts well with a set of 7spd indexed barcons on it.

I like the Suntour stuff, if anything just because it's different, I have a lot of the 6 & 7spd Accushift shift stuff laying around that I need to build into something. I need to find some XC Pro parts to go with the NOS hubs my wife got me for Xmas.

Glenn
Old 04-02-13, 10:27 AM
Glennfordx4

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Posted one pic of this Sekai Conquest a while ago, here are some better ones. I'm doing everything I can not to add to my MTB collection but this one makes it tough...

That is a very sweet looking bike right there, I would love to have a chrome bike in my size, when I was in my teens I junked a 23" Chrome Ross and I am still kicking myself 25yrs later.

Glenn

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 04-24-13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 10:28 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
the Accushift will never fly with Grip Shifters, I haven't had a problem with the Accushift 6 & 7spd indexing well, maybe not as good as Shimano but it's not bad for the type of riding I do.
yeah the grip shifters are not playing well with the accushift.. I need to decide how I will set up the cockpit (drop bar or flat bar) and then get some friction shifters on there. Unfortunately finding suntour thumbies from this period isn't super easy

I like the Suntour stuff, if anything just because it's different, I have a lot of the 6 & 7spd Accushift shift stuff laying around that I need to build into something. I need to find some XC Pro parts to go with the NOS hubs my wife got me for Xmas.
Part of the appeal of this bike was the Suntour stuff.. that's actually how I originally found it, by searching for suntour XC on ebay. It's actually 8 speed accushift! It's super noisy when freewheeling and also makes a weird noise when pedaling.. i hope i can sort it out, though I still suspect I will be switching over to a shimano compatible hub so I can use a wider range of cassettes and get hyperglide as well
Old 04-02-13, 02:15 PM
Glennfordx4

I am hoping to get caught up with some projects around here and will soon start rebuilding a few of the MTB's I have collected, I am still having a hard time getting the stuck seat post out of my 85 Stumpy, I fear I will have no choice but to destroy the post to get it out. This is my favorite thread.

Glenn
Old 04-02-13, 07:57 PM
Slammin

Bikes: 1989 Trek 1500 58 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9 5

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hah.. I didn't even clean it yet .. To be fair I didn't really give it a good test ride the first time, and I think I was allowing my preconceived notions of what I expected the bike to be like to affect my thoughts. It definitely is different from steel, but i'm not sure it's in a bad way. I was feeling unsure, and especially after I got a similarly weighted steel bike i was even feeling a little annoyed with myself for splurging when steel mtbs can be had for cheap. But after today's test ride i'm feeling a lot more pleased. I'll have to wait till I get both ~26 lb bikes set up how i like them before i can be really sure.
I hope you do like it and set it up nice. I really like to see your bikes after you clean and restore. So I look forward to your projects. I'm still amazed at how the Alpina Pro turned out considering what it looked like before.
Old 04-02-13, 07:58 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by Slammin
I hope you do like it and set it up nice. I really like to see your bikes after you clean and restore. So I look forward to your projects. I'm still amazed at how the Alpina Pro turned out considering what it looked like before.
wow thanks
Old 04-02-13, 08:20 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Frantik, post some pics here of that red Diamond Back when you're finished with it. It would be an interesting comparo with my new toy.

Last edited by Shp4man; 04-02-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 01:53 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Will do I've got a back log now of THREE bikes that need to be redone lol.. been so busy haven't even had time to finish the Jamis i bought last month. I had to get new bearings for the headset so it got put on the back burner, now i've got the bearings but haven't had time to do anything with them. Hopefully by May I should have more time to work on these new projects.. and hopefully won't add any more by then

My girlfriend made a joke about me doing something "before i buy another bike" (referring to the trek) and I was like.. "I already did!" hahahah
Old 04-03-13, 09:07 AM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Will do I've got a back log now of THREE bikes that need to be redone lol.. been so busy haven't even had time to finish the Jamis i bought last month. I had to get new bearings for the headset so it got put on the back burner, now i've got the bearings but haven't had time to do anything with them. Hopefully by May I should have more time to work on these new projects.. and hopefully won't add any more by then

My girlfriend made a joke about me doing something "before i buy another bike" (referring to the trek) and I was like.. "I already did!" hahahah
Just tell her that It's hard to resist a good deal on a cool bike! That doesn't always work with my wife, though.
Old 04-03-13, 09:14 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
First ride of spring...

1988 Kuwahara Shasta
Old 04-03-13, 10:10 AM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes there is no doubt about that! the frame construction is awesome with the weld-less aluminum lugs/stays, and the naked crabon!! haha.. the 95 Apex is actually the first frame i've considered getting powder coated since neither the decals nor the colors do anything for me.

Agreed, the Diamondback is really plain looking. Its just red, and more red. Personally I LOVE fade paint the kind you see on the late 80s and early 90s bikes. Thats why I love my newest Alpina so much because its got a silver/red fade that just really gets me going. lol. I decided what groupset Im going to put on the Univega btw.....its gonna be Deore DX. :-)
Old 04-03-13, 10:11 AM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
A bit slow catching up on this thread, but the Accushift will never fly with Grip Shifters, I haven't had a problem with the Accushift 6 & 7spd indexing well, maybe not as good as Shimano but it's not bad for the type of riding I do. I am setting up a Japanese Bianchi Touring bike with full XC Comp, although not the 94mm MD crank, I found a NOS 110mm XC Comp crank at work. I bought a 7spd XC Comp cassette hub & cassette from Loose Screws very cheap that I am going to build a 700c rear wheel for it, right now I have a AP New Winner freewheel on it and as I said it shifts well with a set of 7spd indexed barcons on it.

Glenn
If you ever want to offload some Suntour Accushift stuff send me a PM....love Suntour.
Old 04-03-13, 10:15 AM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah the grip shifters are not playing well with the accushift.. I need to decide how I will set up the cockpit (drop bar or flat bar) and then get some friction shifters on there. Unfortunately finding suntour thumbies from this period isn't super easy

Part of the appeal of this bike was the Suntour stuff.. that's actually how I originally found it, by searching for suntour XC on ebay. It's actually 8 speed accushift! It's super noisy when freewheeling and also makes a weird noise when pedaling.. i hope i can sort it out, though I still suspect I will be switching over to a shimano compatible hub so I can use a wider range of cassettes and get hyperglide as well
The suntour stuff in my experience is much louder than the shimano from the same era. I have a XC7000 group on my panasonic and I have a Deore lx group on my Univega. The Deore group shifts quietly and the chain as it runs through the rear derailleur is fairly quiet. By comparison the XC7000 on the Panasonic is loud when it shifts probably because the gears are not uniglide or ramped, and the chain as it runs through the RD is also very noisy but to me this is a good noise. I have Suntour Accushift on my late 80s schwinn road bikes and its just the same....loud. My Dave Scott with 600 tricolor is by comparison nearly silent.
Old 04-03-13, 08:45 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
My daughters M800, 92ish

Old 04-04-13, 05:08 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

mmm tires

Old 04-04-13, 07:48 PM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swore I wouldn't bring another bike into the house, but there was this local online auction, and this Bianchi Ibex was the nicest of the lot, so I bid $5.00 with a max bid of $35 and, much to my surprise, won. Here is my prize:

Yes, the front wheel is backwards, as is the seat post. My plan was to strip off the salvageable parts and maybe donate the frame to my co-op, but the purple and the 80's fabulous decals are kind of growing on me. Guess I have another project.
Old 04-04-13, 08:02 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
My daughters M800, 92ish

Nice and sparkly.
I used to own an M1000. Same vintage. Light and snappy... if a little harsh. Great bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.