Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Competitive Cyclist fit calculator observation

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 09:15 AM
Phlorida

Bikes: 17 Spot Acme, 14 Lynskey Peleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am riding the frame size recommended by the manufacturer and it has always felt too small to me. I can't ride nearly as long or as far as I want to without numbness in the hands, feet and butt. I've had the bike professionally fitted twice, wear padded riding shorts, padded gloves and run wider tires to no avail so I am exploring alternatives. The manufactures seem to recommend roughly the same frame size for me based on height and sometimes inseam - either a 53cm nominal frame or a 48cm seat tube with few exceptions.

When I do the fit calculator on the Competitive Cyclist website the range of recommended seat tube lengths (c-t) depending on the fit styles are 53.4cm - 56.8cm. While the CC calculator seems to reinforce what I have intuitively thought about my current bike I question the large disparity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-14, 09:31 AM
Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Focus on the effective top tube measurement. It will clarify sizing better than seat tube length and it matters more for fit purposes.
Old 10-28-14, 10:22 AM
zx9rmal

Bikes: '92 Merlin Extralight, '19 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Perhaps visit a "pro" type bike shop and let their fit expert size you up. Good luck.
Old 10-28-14, 10:52 AM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zx9rmal
Perhaps visit a "pro" type bike shop and let their fit expert size you up. Good luck.
That is absolutely my intent. I want to feel comfortable that my next bike is going to provide me a far better experience than my current bike.
Old 10-28-14, 10:59 AM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Criner
Focus on the effective top tube measurement. It will clarify sizing better than seat tube length and it matters more for fit purposes.
Great advice, thanks for taking the time. The disparity between the CC fit recommended top tube length and what the manufacturers are recommending isn't as significant as the seat tube length difference but it is still different. The fit calculator recommends 55.2cm to 56.8cm whereas the range of the bikes that I am currently looking at the manufacturers recommend a range from 53.5 to 54.5.
Old 10-28-14, 11:21 AM
Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Give us some info re what bikes, how you ride and the measurements you fed into the fit calculator and you will get a little more help.
Old 10-28-14, 03:47 PM
Igualmente

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your bike could very well be too small, but I would think if the top tube is short one or two cm you might try increasing one or both of saddle setback and stem length to effectively increase reach. Do you know the effective top tube of your current bike?

As to the numbness at all three points of contact, I wonder if some single issue other than frame size is causing at least 2 of the three. Is your current saddle comfortable, and does it sit roughly level? If you are uncomfortable on the saddle you may be numb because of that and may be trying to put more weight elsewhere which could be uncomfortable or numbing.

Also, this may be of use to you: Ditch the Tingles | Bicycling
And this: Take The Pressure Off! Or, Why Are My, Hands, Feet, Butt Numb When I Ride My Bike?! ? Cyclocross Network
Old 10-29-14, 09:05 AM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Criner
Give us some info re what bikes, how you ride and the measurements you fed into the fit calculator and you will get a little more help.
A kind offer but I left the measurements out of my original post so as not to impose on people for fit help - ultimately I will end up at my LBS for a pre purchase fitting. I was really hoping for some validation that I am headed down the right path.
Old 10-29-14, 09:16 AM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Igualmente
Your bike could very well be too small, but I would think if the top tube is short one or two cm you might try increasing one or both of saddle setback and stem length to effectively increase reach. Do you know the effective top tube of your current bike?
I currently have a 100mm stem and my saddle is about 75% back which seems to further indicate that the frame is small for me. The geometry chart from Cannondale indicates that the horizontal top tube length is 54.5cm on my 53cm frame.

As to the numbness at all three points of contact, I wonder if some single issue other than frame size is causing at least 2 of the three. Is your current saddle comfortable, and does it sit roughly level? If you are uncomfortable on the saddle you may be numb because of that and may be trying to put more weight elsewhere which could be uncomfortable or numbing.
I am concerned that it isn't the frame as well but I think that I have done nearly everything possible to isolate the frame as the issue - maybe not. Two professional fittings by different people at different shops using different approaches. I've tried a few saddles and I'm currently riding an Adamo gel saddle. The saddle is perfectly level. I wear quality cycling shorts and gloves. I'm running 28cm tires.

Thanks for these!
Old 10-29-14, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Note the sizing trends of competition race Bikes has changed a lot since WW2..

Femur length is part of where the saddle is in relation to the BB. then the hips upward torso- arm length influences the reach ..

If sticking to just the CC charts perhaps their French Fit specs will be what you want ..

Yes Top tube length is more meaningful, now that top tubes actually slope , that makes Seat tube(=size) less standardized brand to brand.
Old 10-29-14, 01:13 PM
Igualmente

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that you could fit on a slightly larger bike, but I'm not sure it is necessary. I guess I would say:

1) it is not certain that the bike frame size is causing the numbness issues,

2) it doesn't sound like the fitter(s) you've worked with saw any issue with your being able to fit on your current bike (assuming they didn't mention that you were close to the limits on this bike/this stem/this seatpost), and

3) if you are looking at a bigger bike, it seems that you would probably end up with a bike with at most 2 cm more ETT... not a lot

If I have one thing to recommend, it is to second guess the fitter(s) on your saddle position. I would suggest you take a look that the following link and consider whether your saddle fits the suggestions on saddle setback: SEAT SET BACK: for road bikes » Bike Fit » Steve Hogg's Bike Fitting Website

I'm not saying your fit was done poorly, but it is fair to revisit things given that you are having continuing challenges.
Old 10-29-14, 01:53 PM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that you could fit on a slightly larger bike, but I'm not sure it is necessary. I guess I would say:

1) it is not certain that the bike frame size is causing the numbness issues,

2) it doesn't sound like the fitter(s) you've worked with saw any issue with your being able to fit on your current bike (assuming they didn't mention that you were close to the limits on this bike/this stem/this seatpost), and

3) if you are looking at a bigger bike, it seems that you would probably end up with a bike with at most 2 cm more ETT... not a lot

If I have one thing to recommend, it is to second guess the fitter(s) on your saddle position. I would suggest you take a look that the following link and consider whether your saddle fits the suggestions on saddle setback: SEAT SET BACK: for road bikes » Bike Fit » Steve Hogg's Bike Fitting Website

I'm not saying your fit was done poorly, but it is fair to revisit things given that you are having continuing challenges.
Thanks once again for taking the time to respond.
1) I agree with you completely, it could well be the engine. A new frame is much easier to deal with
2) Agreed. Beyond an incremental change in ETT and the stand over height is generally more than I can handle.
3) I'm going to read that article now. If I do go back much further with the seat an offset post will likely be required.