Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How best to spend some money?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 05:49 PM
Iwishihadknown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new to cycling and enjoying it a lot. I am riding outdoors and indoors an average of 3 or 4 times a week. I have purchased two relatively expensive bikes in the last year and I have about $1000 that I want to dedicate to bicycling related equipment. I have two road bikes one of which is quite old, a fat tire bike and a Hybrid bike.
I am not clipped in yet but am headed in that direction. I have a decent stationary bike but I would prefer to have a trainer. I don't have a heart rate monitor, power meter or bike electronics of any kind.
I am looking to spend the money efficiently and fill in some of the gaps that may contribute to me becoming a better cyclist. I welcome all suggestions and input.
Thank you
Old 10-02-18, 06:21 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I'd do shoes, pedals, and clothing. Then I'd do a computer, then a power meter. Though the latter two may not be necessary depending on your goals and plans.

I'd also plug into whatever group rides are available in the area, because that will likely contribute the most and the most quickly to becoming a better cyclist overall.
Old 10-02-18, 06:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
What are your goals in cycling? Long (distance) rides? Racing? Fitness in general?

I would probably spend it on a pedal based power meter. If you're planning to buy clipless pedals anyway and have use for a PM, that works out nicely. I think a PM is the most useful thing you can add to a bike. But that's not worth much coming from somebody who doesn't know you.
Old 10-02-18, 06:57 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'd do shoes, pedals, and clothing. …….
I like the idea of gear! My first year of active adult cycling I bought a decent bike.... and really enjoyed myself. But good gear really makes a difference. Jerseys, shorts, gloves, helmet, skull caps, jackets, cycling glasses, water bottles, clipless (clip-in) pedals and shoes, maybe a cycling tool-kits and a work stand...……….
Old 10-03-18, 03:56 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overall fitness and continued improvement are my goals. I would like to hold my own with group rides locally. My rides and group rides are typically in the 20 to 40 mile range.
Old 10-05-18, 05:03 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the responses that have been provided. Thank you.
Old 10-05-18, 06:36 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smart trainer for structured training manual ERG mode. Don't pay for software or subscriptions. Spend the dough on a better trainer instead.
Old 10-05-18, 10:06 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
A set of Sportscrafters resistance rollers: https://www.sportcrafters.com/produc...ve-pro-rollers
Then pedals, shoes, and an inexpensive heart rate monitor.
Old 10-05-18, 08:37 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by fstrnu
Smart trainer for structured training manual ERG mode. Don't pay for software or subscriptions. Spend the dough on a better trainer instead.
And take all the fun out of cycling...
Old 10-06-18, 09:28 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
You mean Zwift?
Old 10-06-18, 01:04 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You mean Zwift?
Your silly assertions are so ridiculous. You couldn't make up how wrong you are about so much stuff you post here. Zwift and virtual racing is so big the UCI is going to create virtual eSports rules and have a world championships and are throwing out things like "Peter Sagan might try it".

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...championships/

Clearly a whole lot of people think it's fun.
Old 10-06-18, 01:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Zwift is fun. Riding a trainer sucks. Doing structured intervals on a trainer while staring into space? I'd rather go out in the yard and dig holes.

OP, a good pair of shoes and pedals to go with them. Once you're clipped-in and used to it, then I'd say a computer and HR monitor.
Old 10-06-18, 01:48 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you already have the basics, then spend some of that money and build yourself a home gym so that you can do cross training to supplement your cycling.
Old 10-06-18, 06:45 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Zwift is fun. Riding a trainer sucks. Doing structured intervals on a trainer while staring into space? I'd rather go out in the yard and dig holes.

OP, a good pair of shoes and pedals to go with them. Once you're clipped-in and used to it, then I'd say a computer and HR monitor.
Exactly. I'm good for 1 hr or maybe 1:20 on an indoor trainer. There's no way I'm going to stay inside and bash out intervals when I could be riding in the sun for 4 hrs with my buds like today. My legs hurt going down stairs so I know I got a decent workout.

To recommend structured indoor intervals for a new rider is ludicrous and would not motivate them to improve. Even pros spend very little time on a trainer, or doing structured intervals for that matter.
Old 10-08-18, 06:19 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

What I meant to ask was if greg was saying anything other than Zwift is no fun.
Old 10-08-18, 08:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I like the shoe pedal idea followed by a trainer. Also, you may want to check if there are any cycling clubs in your area that fit your goals. I wanted to race and joined a racing team. I learned a lot by observing what other racers used, how they trained and went to meetings where we had speakers that discussed a wide range of topics. Clubs that focus on other aspects of cycling may be available locally as well and clubs / teams may have sponsors that offer deals on equipment and clothes.
Old 10-08-18, 09:20 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Exactly. I'm good for 1 hr or maybe 1:20 on an indoor trainer. There's no way I'm going to stay inside and bash out intervals when I could be riding in the sun for 4 hrs with my buds like today. My legs hurt going down stairs so I know I got a decent workout.

To recommend structured indoor intervals for a new rider is ludicrous and would not motivate them to improve. Even pros spend very little time on a trainer, or doing structured intervals for that matter.
UCI world tour pros are an interesting breed. USA does not have many such that most of them are from Europe and the former Soviet Union. I started my race training with coaches from Belarus who formerly ran the National team before immigrating to the US. They had a cycling gym and I had to show up twice per week for supervised indoor sessions lifting weights and riding on the rollers / trainers. In California the weather would be great and I would be indoors.

Their two most famous UCI world tour pros that they coached were Vasili Vasilyevich Kiryienka and Kanstantsin Sivtsov who both raced for Team Sky. Vasil won the time trial world championships a couple of years ago. At the Sky camps in Mallorca, they would train on the rollers in the morning and ride with the team outside in the afternoon with a nap in between. In 2014, I used the same coach and he wanted me to do two workouts per day - trainer and road. It was too hard. Maybe today, I could do it.

The other thing to understand about former Soviet Union cyclists is that cycling was a way to escape the oppression. If one made the national team, one was setup with benefits. If there was success, one was set for life with perks. So much like Cortez, these cyclists burned their ships such that there was no going back and they worked very hard because failure was a disaster.

So if the coach said, you are on the trainer 6 hours a day, well, you were on the trainer 6 hours per day even if it did not make any sense and there are better alternatives.

One of the first workouts I did was 10 sets of 10 through a Russian torture circuit of weight training to build strenght in the pedal stroke and then lower cadence intervals on my road bike set up on the trainer. I rode the trainer a lot and it caused me to HTFU a lot.
Old 10-08-18, 10:37 AM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by Hermes
One of the first workouts I did was 10 sets of 10 through a Russian torture circuit of weight training to build strenght in the pedal stroke and then lower cadence intervals on my road bike set up on the trainer. I rode the trainer a lot and it caused me to HTFU a lot.
No doubt there's some old school coaches out there who demand endless hours on the trainer. I recall the stories of coaches requiring their riders to ride for 5+ hrs on a trainer staring at a brick wall just to toughen them up. The riders I follow must have more progressive coaches as they rarely ride the trainer.

Trainer & zwift is fine if it's too cold, icy, or miserable to ride outside but my tolerance for cold and wet is pretty high so I only seem to end up on the trainer 5-10 times a year. Once I'm into it it's OK and kind of nice to walk out into my shop and just hop on the trainer for an hour or so but I'm not interested in doing long rides on one.
Old 10-08-18, 10:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Contact points and a professional fitting.
Old 10-08-18, 10:49 AM
gregf83 

What I meant to ask was if greg was saying anything other than Zwift is no fun.
Personally, I don't classify anything on the trainer as 'fun'. If I'm going to ride the trainer I usually just do 2x20 SST intervals with the same set of music I've been listening to for years. I often have zwift on also for an added distraction.

I could see getting into zwift racing although I've only done one or two and had some trouble identifying who I was racing.

I don't understand your recommendation to buy a smart trainer just to do ERG intervals. I sort of understand the appeal of not having to think about pacing but my opinion is there is precious little to focus on while on the trainer so maintaining a constant pace is not a big ask and is a useful skill.
Old 10-08-18, 12:10 PM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I don't classify anything on the trainer as 'fun'. If I'm going to ride the trainer I usually just do 2x20 SST intervals with the same set of music I've been listening to for years. I often have zwift on also for an added distraction.

I could see getting into zwift racing although I've only done one or two and had some trouble identifying who I was racing.

I don't understand your recommendation to buy a smart trainer just to do ERG intervals. I sort of understand the appeal of not having to think about pacing but my opinion is there is precious little to focus on while on the trainer so maintaining a constant pace is not a big ask and is a useful skill.
Understand completely. For me personally, however, (and I was surprised by this) I somehow feel like it is less mind-numbing when I don't have to concentrate on pace. It's weird but that is how it is for me. Also, ERG mode is absolutely crucial for endurance pace stuff as I can focus completely on whatever movie I'm watching.
Old 10-08-18, 01:05 PM
stilltheoptimis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just go with frame, brakes, veggies, protein.
Old 10-08-18, 01:57 PM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the additional information! Seemingly lots of good practical information!
Shoes and pedals soon, then a professional fitting shortly thereafter. These would be the first things on the agenda.
Old 10-11-18, 11:14 AM
salad_goat

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10, 2015 Caadx, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro SS

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If you already have the basics, then spend some of that money and build yourself a home gym so that you can do cross training to supplement your cycling.
I especially enjoy r/bodyweightfitness for this. It is minimal and no need to spend any money if you so choose.
Old 10-15-18, 04:21 PM
riccofiori

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $1,000

I have found that wheels and tires are the best value, especially when in competition.

Purchase a a set of new wheels and tires primarily for competitive events. Use your existing wheels to train and ride the new ones only for competition.

I suggest 25mm aluminum wheels that have a combined weight of around 1450 grams and Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tires. If you go tubeless the weight will be a great advantage for accelerating. This is enhanced in pack riding where the speed varies continuously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.