Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Depressed prices for vintage cycles and parts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Depressed prices for vintage cycles and parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 10:33 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
For what I search, ebay prices certainly arent lower than a few years ago. Maybe they are a lot lower than 10 years ago, but thatd be surprising.

eBay prices are pretty high and the selection is limited.
that's what I've noticed over the last yesr- how limited the selection is of what i happen to be searching for at any given time.
That's what I'm seeing also, time & time again when I turn to Ebay for something I need or want the pricing makes me shake my head in disbelief, I think it's because of the few sellers on there that think their NOS or used parts are gold plated that parts that I would have paid $5 to $20 for are now asking $50 and up. I have gotten much better deals here on BF lately then I have else where.

Glenn
Old 10-08-18, 10:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
That's what I'm seeing also, time & time again when I turn to Ebay for something I need or want the pricing makes me shake my head in disbelief, I think it's because of the few sellers on there that think their NOS or used parts are gold plated that parts that I would have paid $5 to $20 for are now asking $50 and up. I have gotten much better deals here on BF lately then I have else where.

Glenn
totally agree about buying from this site. I buy components here for less overall, and usually in better condition for the price than on eBay. The transactions are faster too. And I definitely sell items on this site for less than I list them for on eBay.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-08-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 11:48 AM
vanritte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generations Pass!

People collect what they lusted after in their youth, simple as that. Each generation starts buying memories from their youth when they get enough money and leisure to do so. Eventually, each generation dies off and passes the baton to a new one. They, in turn, start buying what interested them. Functionality has little to do with it. For example, I started racing when I was 12 on full Campy steel bikes -- Atala, Gitane, Bianchi, Rossin, Bottechia, Ciocc, Masi, the usual Italian Stallions. 5 or 6 speed clusters, friction shifting, sew-ups, engraved stems, the whole works. I still have some of them and take them for a spin every now and then. Sure, they don't work as well as my latest 11 speed, 14 lb race bike. But that's not the point: I keep them around because they are an emblem and memory from my youth and I think they are beautiful aesthetically. My kids, now in their 20s, don't understand their appeal. Eventually, I will grow too old and will stop collecting. The new generation, those that grew up with Shimano STI and clinchers and carbon fiber and know nothing about the allure of Campy or sew-ups or a 5 speed 14-18 straight block, will take over. That, in a nutshell, is why prices are down -- vintage stuff from the 60s and 70s is running out of buyers!
Old 10-08-18, 11:56 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vanritte
People collect what they lusted after in their youth, simple as that. Each generation starts buying memories from their youth when they get enough money and leisure to do so. Eventually, each generation dies off and passes the baton to a new one. They, in turn, start buying what interested them. Functionality has little to do with it. For example, I started racing when I was 12 on full Campy steel bikes -- Atala, Gitane, Bianchi, Rossin, Bottechia, Ciocc, Masi, the usual Italian Stallions. 5 or 6 speed clusters, friction shifting, sew-ups, engraved stems, the whole works. I still have some of them and take them for a spin every now and then. Sure, they don't work as well as my latest 11 speed, 14 lb race bike. But that's not the point: I keep them around because they are an emblem and memory from my youth and I think they are beautiful aesthetically. My kids, now in their 20s, don't understand their appeal. Eventually, I will grow too old and will stop collecting. The new generation, those that grew up with Shimano STI and clinchers and carbon fiber and know nothing about the allure of Campy or sew-ups or a 5 speed 14-18 straight block, will take over. That, in a nutshell, is why prices are down -- vintage stuff from the 60s and 70s is running out of buyers!
Yep, this, right here.

I'm 56. Even some of my "younger" cycling friends in their 40s don't see the appeal of the old bikes or Campagnolo. While I came of cycling age in the mid 70s they did so in the mid 80s. They grew up with BMX, early mountain bikes, and the rise of Shimano.

Now if I could just find a black and gold Bandit Trans Am...
Old 10-08-18, 12:44 PM
findfixride
Vintage Bike Rental.com

Bikes: Schwinn cruisers, NOS Orange Varsity and about 30 others

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Good luck!

Campagnolo holds its value like a Ferrari. Sometimes I think the whole vintage market could crash, but all things Italian would continue to break the bank!
I have some shifters and pump bracket Campy parts, was going to put them on eBay, they are so cool it's hard to part with them.
Each generation wants to buy their youth, why I would like a 1967 Firebird like my first car, not a 1932 rod like the last generation, now it's BMX bikes, kids don't really get after growing up in the China years of what is true quality, still have my His & Hers 1959 Schwinn 26ers and Varsity, last of the 60 or more Schwinns of the past.
Old 10-08-18, 12:55 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Kommisar89
Yep, this, right here.

I'm 56. Even some of my "younger" cycling friends in their 40s don't see the appeal of the old bikes or Campagnolo. While I came of cycling age in the mid 70s they did so in the mid 80s. They grew up with BMX, early mountain bikes, and the rise of Shimano.

Now if I could just find a black and gold Bandit Trans Am...
I’m 40 and all the bikes I collect are from when I was about 10, and not at all into bicycles. I have NO desire to track down the Huffy Bear Mountain Bike I had when Inwas a kid!
Old 10-08-18, 01:06 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly

I’m 40 and all the bikes I collect are from when I was about 10, and not at all into bicycles. I have NO desire to track down the Huffy Bear Mountain Bike I had when Inwas a kid!
Everybody has their first "good" bike. I vaguely remember my banana seat bike, metallic gold with a two tone black and white seat. That was followed by my first department store "10-speed" in a small, kids size with 26" wheels and then a larger model with standard 27" wheels though of the same gas pipe construction. I don't collect any of them either. When I was 12 I bought my first "good" bike - a 1974 Bottecchia Special. I'm building a replica of that now. I collect Bottecchias of various periods, not all necessarily from when I was growing up. I have a '59 and a '67 which are from before I was born and before I was old enough to ride without training wheels respectively.
Old 10-08-18, 01:56 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Originally Posted by repechage
No, it was John Kerry breaking his leg while riding that ended it.
80% of the American population couldn't even guess who John Kerry is. 70% can't tell you who Mike Pence is.
Old 10-08-18, 03:24 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Isn't he Hunter Pence's brother?
Old 10-09-18, 09:25 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
"Well, kind of, wage growth overall in the USA was 2.7% in the last year, the Core inflation index was up 2.9%. Averages are just that, but the trend is not terrific."

Knowing a lot of people that struggled through the Great Recession, their problem wasn't hourly wage, it was the number of hours worked per week. Many were cut back to under 29 hrs, so employers could avoid providing insurance.

I would really like statistics on average weekly earnings, instead of hourly wage rate. Most of the statistics show the increase in wages by group: full time and part time. What you don't see is the number of people that are part time but would much prefer to be full time. Moving up from part time to full time is a huge jump in total wages and benefits, whether the hourly wage increases or not.

Wage growth by this analysis is up 4.79%, a pretty healthy amount. How they calculate it is beyond me, so I cannot confirm the accuracy.

I do know that my bike sales during the "Great Recession" were at much higher prices than today. So I think it is more about the end of the fixie craze, the technology change in bikes (more speeds, more convenient shifters, disk brakes).

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wage-growth

Last edited by wrk101; 10-09-18 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-10-18, 03:39 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
30yrs ago (kids?) bikes & other backyard hobbies competed for $$$ against videogames staying indoors... Nintendo won.

20yrs ago... PCs sucked a lot of my $$$.

Bikes today aren't that ex vs income by all measures.

Whats sucking up ppl's disposable dollar these days? Do they have less d$ or are they spending it on their electronics & dataplan to keep up with their instagram mates?
Old 10-10-18, 09:00 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
Whats sucking up ppl's disposable dollar these days? Do they have less d$ or are they spending it on their electronics & dataplan to keep up with their instagram mates?
Cost of everything! Insurance, food, education, you name it. I once thought a $100 was a lot of money. And it was. Now... its groceries for a couple days.
Old 10-11-18, 11:02 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I started working on and collecting vintage bikes four years back when my wife was pregnant with our first child. I had never ridden a road bike and was not very fond of the hybrid that I purchased for exercise and commuting purposes. I loved the challenge of bringing something back to life in many cases, to my taste in a manner that wouldn't break the bank. I am a francophile so the first bike that I picked up was a beat up Peugeot U08 and my affinity toward French bikes continues now (U08 commuter, PX10, and a Gitane in the works). Over 20 bikes have now passed through my possession and this hobby has left me a satisfied, happy, continuously fit individual. I ride only C&V or retroroadies and have logged 20K plus miles since the addiction started. Considering the benefits that it has afforded me I find the C&V incredibly rewarding and the the tantalizing beauty of the the bikes is captivating. Most of my bikes were created before I was born or during my childhood when I was rolling around on 16in bmx bikes so there is no longing for something from my youth. That being said I do retromod some bikes and I do plan on getting a new carbon road bike to throw in the mix. Why can't C&V and modern coexist?
Old 02-01-22, 12:57 AM
Oyama

Bikes: tommasini n litespeed

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage bike is back

Hi all, this thread is full of opinions from different experience. Personally I would like to share here that vintage bike is not always about the "youth memories". What attracted me much about vintage bike is about beauty and its aesthetics. I am collecting some bikes where in my eyes those bikes are sparks their beauty every time i lool at it. I have Tommasini Prestige circa 1986 where the condition is really superb. After have it for about two years I only ride it twice, and it was really smooth and nice ride. For Everyday ride I choose my alloy Spez or Carbon BMC. Do you all think the vintage bike is a good investment? I say with no doubt, yes they are. There are people who can see the beauty of vintage bikes and many of them are rich enough to spend more to acquire vintage bike. When collectors tend to keep the bike the supply on the market is tend to shrink and it will logically rise the price.
Old 02-01-22, 02:08 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Oyama
Vintage bike is not always about the "youth memories." Vintage bike is about beauty and its aesthetics.
Riding a bike makes me feel young. But flying down a windy pass on a beautiful vintage lightweight makes me feel athletic, alive, magnificent.
Likes For SurferRosa: