Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire levers that actually work?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire levers that actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 07:56 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You should not need tire levers to mount a tire -- they are for getting a tire off a rim.

The proper technique is more easily shown than described, so I recommend youtube videos. Also read up on tips and tricks, such as (1) start installing a tight tire bead 180 degrees from the valve hole, and finish at the valve hole, (2) make sure you are pushing the bead into the rim's center channel as you mount it, (3) leave especially tight tires out in the hot sun for a few hours before mounting, etc. Most important is the actual technique - how you push the beads up and over the rim. Best to watch a good videol

If you are using 'best practice' to mount the tires and still can't get them on the rims, then get different tires. Sometimes I'll even have one tire out of a batch that won't mount, so it gets returned or tossed.

For removing tough tires, I like these.

PS: if you are interested in @GhostRider62 's recommendation, note that there is no company called "Lyzene." He is referring to Lezyne. Though I would recommend against metal tire levers; which would you prefer to break first -- the tire lever, or the rim's sidewall?
Oh man I have never been able to get my 27x1-1/4" tires on the rims without the tire levers. But I am always worried about pinching the tube. All my other tires I can get on without levers for the most part but my 700c commuter tires seem to depend on how warm it is lol.
Old 08-01-23, 08:55 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

some of the old 27” tires could be a real bear to mount on certain rims

and some recent tubeless tire / rim combinations can even be more of a challenge

strong tire levers prob a good idea if you have this ... Park ... ? ... Pedros ? ... Snek tire levers are reinforced / strong - add them to the list
Old 08-01-23, 10:16 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
the old levers i had broke probably because they were made in 1996 and not made of the higher quality plastic/nylon we have today. i bought the pedro's yellow levers and they worked well, up to the point where i lost one. i also got the tire jack and that is just wonderful. still struggle with the tires then whip out the levers or jack.
Old 08-01-23, 11:20 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Once you have the tire almost on, lightly apply some dish soap to bead and rim. Helps it slide on the rest of the way.
Old 08-01-23, 01:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i know you mean well but...do you bring dish soap with you while out on the road?
Old 08-01-23, 02:26 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i know you mean well but...do you bring dish soap with you while out on the road?
No. But your original post mentioned you had a spare wheel so you could still ride. Assumed you were mounting a new tire at home.
Old 08-01-23, 05:14 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Got the Tyre Gliders yesterday and those work pretty well (thanks Amazon!). Didn't have too much trouble with the 1st bead. For the second bead w/tube in couldn't quite get it all the way with the Tyre Glider but it was at a point where a toe strap and one or two goes with a tire lever finished it. Inflated without blowing out, so all good. Hoping that mounting/inflation and riding on them will loosen them up some.