Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you cancelled Strava and went back? Or did you find another option?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have you cancelled Strava and went back? Or did you find another option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 04:00 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I don't mind the cost so much, but the way they went about increasing the price about a year ago was preposterous. They were inept at being sneaky and then tried to clarify their new policy with a post in the Strava club on the website, rather than issuing a press release. They badly botched the roll-out in the UK and seemed intent on destroying their reputation in a spectacular own goal. A lot of people in the industry were looking at them at the time and wondering WTF? Why would anyone invest in a company making moves that clumsily? I remain a subscriber, but they lost a lot of respect and good will from me and I am sure from many others.

The subscription issue was obviously huge with their company, as they conducted a big subscription push about 18 months or more ago, admitting that they were not turning a profit. The odd thing was, that at the time, they had such a large amount of goodwill and reputation built up with their users that it seemed almost impossible that it would be destroyed, and yet they managed to do just that with a few dumb moves. Had they just been upfront about things and communicated clearly, I am certain they could have ridden their accumulated goodwill to profitability without resorting to weird pricing tiers and their awful geographical roll-out.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 01-08-24, 08:08 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I don't use any of Strava's "advanced" options, so after I canceled I don't think I'll rejoin. Planning? Rwgps works fine for me. Advanced training metrics? There's other things I have for that. I did find out some years back that our city engineers look at Strava heat maps, so I continue to post most of my in-town rides to move the metric needle. But I can do that on a free account.
Old 01-08-24, 09:33 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I cancelled mine along with some streaming TV channels. I just wasnt getting a lot out of the premium stuff. I would see someone's ride and think "Ill save that route" and try it, but I never did. Also the Captain obvious fitness levels. They go up when you ride a lot and vice versa.....
Old 01-08-24, 10:31 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Also the Captain obvious fitness levels. They go up when you ride a lot and vice versa.....
Don't blame Strava for the "fitness" graph that is actually a training load graph. They weren't the ones who named Chronic Training Load (CTL) "fitness".

Old 01-08-24, 11:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
My subscription is set to renew in February and I am definitely on the fence.

- I like the segment leaderboard and peek at segments after a ride, but dont really care much because I am not fast enough to actually compete for any segments. That is worth $10/year to me.
- I like the route comparison tool where you can compare the recent ride to prior activities where you rode that same route/course. That is worth $5/year to me.

- Strava is not used to create routes so I get no subscription value there.
- Strava is not used as a training app so I get no subscription value there.
- The end of year Strava Year in Sport review is...unimpressive so I get no subscription value there.
- If I have the free version, I can still follow others and they can follow me so I get no subscription value there.

If I dont renew, my rides will still upload to Strava from my GPS and from Zwift. I mainly use Strava to just track all activity- indoor and outdoor. With the free version I can still see my results on segments and compare them to prior efforts on those segments. Thats really what I look at most after a ride.
Maybe I will think of things that are worth $65/year, but currently it looks like I view Strava as being worth just $15/year to me.

On a related note in response to some comments in this thread- just because I can easily afford a yearly membership doesnt mean it is worth continuing to pay for a yearly membership. Subscribing may not impact my finances in a noticeable way, but I try not to make financial decisions in that way.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-08-24 at 11:14 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-08-24, 12:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
I don't mind the cost so much, but the way they went about increasing the price about a year ago was preposterous. They were inept at being sneaky and then tried to clarify their new policy with a post in the Strava club on the website, rather than issuing a press release. They badly botched the roll-out in the UK and seemed intent on destroying their reputation in a spectacular own goal. A lot of people in the industry were looking at them at the time and wondering WTF? Why would anyone invest in a company making moves that clumsily? I remain a subscriber, but they lost a lot of respect and good will from me and I am sure from many others.

The subscription issue was obviously huge with their company, as they conducted a big subscription push about 18 months or more ago, admitting that they were not turning a profit. The odd thing was, that at the time, they had such a large amount of goodwill and reputation built up with their users that it seemed almost impossible that it would be destroyed, and yet they managed to do just that with a few dumb moves. Had they just been upfront about things and communicated clearly, I am certain they could have ridden their accumulated goodwill to profitability without resorting to weird pricing tiers and their awful geographical roll-out.
I guess I missed all of that. What did they do? What was the sneakiness about? What’s the new policy?

I recall a price increase from, what? Like $8/mo to $11/mo? And they introduced a discounted annual payment? I don’t even know…
Old 01-08-24, 01:36 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
In a related note in response to some comments in this thread- just because I can easily afford a yearly membership doesnt mean it is worth continuing to pay for a yearly membership. Subscribing may not impact my finances in a noticeable way, but I try not to make financial decisions in that way.
Good point.

Would everyone on this thread please forward me a check for "rounding error in [your] finances," please?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-08-24, 04:03 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I was an early subscriber. Many of the road segments in my local area were made by me. I was an early paid subscriber as well. I have dropped the paid part twice and came back twice. The first time when they shuttered what they considered downhill segments, the second time because of the rate hike, loss of monthly billing, and the way they went about it. The parts of Strava I value the most are not included in the free version. Age and weight leader boards. full leader boards, which for those of us that often are not even remotely near the top, that's useful. Segment history. That was rather valuable in a climb segment I was doing mostly weekly through the summer. I don't really care where I am overall but seeing just my attempts was useful in showing fitness gains. Matched rides and routes was useful this fall to find that I had regained the fitness I had before a job change several years ago. For me it is the data features that are worth the cost. The socail aspect is also nice but not as valuable as it formerly was. Many of my friends on there are no longer posting frequently here.

As far as those that believe that their free subscription adds value to those of us that pay. Not so much. People I know and ride with, yes, I like to see their rides and like to see their stats included in segments but random folks, nope. Besides that nearly every single bogus KOM was done by free users that ended a ride. and then tracked their vehicle for miles before ending the ride on Strava or Garmin. At least with Strava there is a way to get these removed; Garmin Connect, nope making the segment leader boards worthless.
Old 01-08-24, 04:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Ha, yeah I can see how my comment would focus on Koyote's post, but it really didnt mean to. I actually laughed in agreement at his rounding error comment. It was just a general comment in response to the many varied 'meh, its a small amount' posts.
Old 01-08-24, 11:20 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by chaadster
I guess I missed all of that. What did they do? What was the sneakiness about? What’s the new policy?

I recall a price increase from, what? Like $8/mo to $11/mo? And they introduced a discounted annual payment? I don’t even know…
They never made an announcement about anything, just introduced higher prices to UK subscribers without any warning. Then, when people woke up to what was going on, it seemed that they had instituted a range of subscription prices across the EU, actually breaking EU law IIRC. When sports tech journalists called them on it and asked for a statement, they studiously ignored them and released a statement via the Strava club on their app. I follow that guy DC Rainmaker, who was probably the main sports tech journalist on the story, and I was interested, so I remember following it quite closely at the time. You can get a correct timeline and version of events if you go over his old posts on the whole saga.

The annual payment was not discounted. For me it increased by $20 IIRC, from $60 to $80, but the impact was greater for monthly subscribers. For me, it was a $20 annual increase, really not much money and I had always thought the founders were decent guys and deserved to have a profitable business. I'd heard their story and thought it was a good one, but that unnecessary bumbling, either by the founders or middle management, really made me rethink my opinion of them. I think they brought on a third guy around that time? Maybe to help get things back on track?
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 01-09-24, 05:18 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Give a look at Intervals.icu

Barry
I have used Intervals.icu before, but only to a very small extent. The manner in which the data is presented was cluttered and "busy". I found it hard to focus on the info that was most important to me. I'm sure there are formatting options that would have fixed this issue, but at the time I was not interested in figuring out to how to change the presentation into something more focused and easy to read.

Per your recommendation I went back to Intervals.icu for another look, but came away with the same conclusion. As a result, I decided to give TrainerDay a go. The interface looked easy, intuitive, and uncluttered. I also really like the custom workout creator! It's super easy to use. For only $3.99 per month for the premium version it seemed like good value for money.
Old 01-09-24, 09:02 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
I have used Intervals.icu before, but only to a very small extent. The manner in which the data is presented was cluttered and "busy". (Snip)
I agree, you have to spend time finding the controls just to limit/select what is displayed.
Its a powerful site and with that comes complexity.

For $4/month I may try TrainerDay

Barry
Old 01-09-24, 02:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts

This was my Strava before it ever existed. Every year my employer would issue employees with an agenda. For about 15 years I recorded every single ride that I did along with a lot of personal observations. When people would sometimes say to me that things like weather were much worse than a year before I could pull out the last year's agenda and look up the date which would give me the exact weather conditions for that day
Those books include information that Strava cannot provide
Old 01-09-24, 02:57 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I never subscribed. Still using the free version. The subscription doesn't offer anything I need.

I'm actually surprised people actually pay for Strava.
Old 01-09-24, 04:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I never subscribed. Still using the free version. The subscription doesn't offer anything I need.

I'm actually surprised people actually pay for Strava.
You're surprised that some people value things differently than you do?

I'm surprised by that.
Old 01-09-24, 04:35 PM
prj71

No. I'm surprised that people actually pay for Strava. I ride with **** ton of bikers from road bikers, to mountain bikers to fat bikers...Not one person subscribes to Strava. But hey...that's the world we live in. People like throwing money out the door.
Old 01-09-24, 04:42 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
I like the clubs and many of the rides around here are posted on Strava clubs, plus posts about local events, road dangers, etc. All of that is in the free version.

I pay, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm paying for. To see full leaderboards with filtering? Route creation? Goal setting? Power data analysis? 🤔

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I like Strava for ride logging and keeping in touch with what my friends are doing. The paid features are a bit meh, but I just pay and forget. None of the alternatives really appeal. I have Garmin Connect too but I don’t like the UI and so hardly use it.
That basically sums up me as well. My "source of training truth" these days is TrainingPeaks, with Strava mostly there for the social aspect and some cheeky segment hunting!
Old 01-09-24, 04:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You're surprised that some people value things differently than you do?

I'm surprised by that.
No. I'm surprised that people actually pay for Strava. I ride with **** ton of bikers from road bikers, to mountain bikers to fat bikers...Not one person subscribes to Strava. But hey...that's the world we live in. People like throwing money out the door.
People don't 'throw money out the door.' People value things differently than you do -- perhaps because they ride for different reasons, enjoy having different pieces of data, have different budget constraints, etc.

I'm continually amazed when some anonymous person on the internet is arrogant enough to judge some other anonymous person's values and spending decisions.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-09-24, 04:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

...presumably, those that pay for the service don't view it as throwing money out the door.
You do understand that we as a society are not monolithic in what we enjoy or find valuable...right? Like that is something you know and understand...hopefully.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-09-24, 05:23 PM
PDKL45

You get unlimited personal challenges with a subscription. I am the admin of a bike-focused online community and I regularly make challenges for members of the group, often a group challenge but also individual challenges. I know that our banter about a certain challenge, over the 5 challenge limit that a member had reached, prompted that member to subscribe. People place value on different things, and there I guess it was frustration at missing out, having been involved in all of the previous challenges, that prompted that person to subscribe. There can be hidden value in it, is what I guess I'm trying to say, or value to people that is not immediately apparent.
Old 01-09-24, 05:40 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts

Just for kicks, I had a glance down the list of people I follow on Strava and did a count, 65% of them are subscribers.

Whether that means they get value out of the subscription, or road cyclists around here are more likely to be throwing money out the door, I do not know.
Old 01-10-24, 08:10 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Originally Posted by Barry2
I agree, you have to spend time finding the controls just to limit/select what is displayed.
Its a powerful site and with that comes complexity.

For $4/month I may try TrainerDay

Barry
I may need to reinvestigate Intervals.icu. TrainerDay, which I thought had some basic analytics, seems to have none.
Old 01-10-24, 08:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Just for kicks, I had a glance down the list of people I follow on Strava and did a count, 65% of them are subscribers.

Whether that means they get value out of the subscription, or road cyclists around here are more likely to be throwing money out the door, I do not know.
I wonder how many don't know what they are paying for? Some likely subscribe and have no idea what is in the free vs pay subscription. A few pay and don't really use it. It is easy to just let subscriptions accumulate. One reason I try to avoid them. I am much less hesitant to spring for one time fees or devices that come with a service included.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 01-10-24, 10:38 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Koyote
People don't 'throw money out the door.' People value things differently than you do -- perhaps because they ride for different reasons, enjoy having different pieces of data, have different budget constraints, etc.

I'm continually amazed when some anonymous person on the internet is arrogant enough to judge some other anonymous person's values and spending decisions.
I'm a user of Strava. Just not the paid version. I like it for keeping track of my yearly miles, miles on my bikes (for maintenance reasons), heart rate data and elevation data. Outside of that the premium features don't offer much that you can't get from Garmin Connect (FREE) or some other similar free app.

Instead of paying for an app once and being done with it (how things used to be) the developers have a found a way of scamming people into a subscription service (much like Cable TV or Satellite) and then every year or so they raise the price. App developers have discovered that subscriptions are much more profitable than one-time payments and they have discovered that many users are stupid enough to pay for subscriptions despite the huge long-term costs. It’s all about greed.
Old 01-10-24, 11:09 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
I may need to reinvestigate Intervals.icu. TrainerDay, which I thought had some basic analytics, seems to have none.
I signed up for an Intervals.icu account and have linked it to my TrainerDay account. After spending some time with the Intervals.icu interface it looks like I can tweak it for what I need. I'm also still looking at TrainingPeaks. Yes, it's more expensive, but it might be worth it. We'll see how it goes with the TrainerDay / Intervals.icu setup ad I'll revisit at the end of February.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.