Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Route?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 02:29 PM
GreenMtnCycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which Route?

Hello,
I am debating between two options for bikpepacking. If you bear with me I will explain in detail and it wont be too long.
Option #1: Specialized Chisel had for years. Gearing is great. Would want to upgrade to rigid fork (attachments on fork) and new wheels. Would also want to get Tailfin rack and would be interchangeable with my other two bikes.
Option #2: Buy a Surly Karate Monkey and have two wheelsets for 29er and 27.5+. Barnacles would allow for different builds etc.

My question is should I use what I got or go get the Surly? Part of me wants steel, as I have only ever owned ALU and carbon, but same price for Surly I could get all the upgrades I mentioned for the Chisel. I've only ever done 3 days as longest trip. I am now getting into weeks territory with a try at the GDMBR. This would also be used for commuting purposes.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-24, 02:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
The new bike always affords 2 options going forward. Dress them differently for slightly different needs - the wheels and tires and fr. suspension being primary differences.
Old 01-30-24, 03:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Use the Chisel as is. Do your first few trips before doing any expensive upgrades until you have a pretty good handle on what works and what doesn't.
Old 01-30-24, 03:20 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I would certainly go for a new bike, and keep the one you now have. Surly makes good bikes, but there are many options in that category. I am a fan of steel frame sets and think every rider should try one , at least.
You really need to figure out just what you want to do with the bike, figure out the best options in your budget. To me, putting that amount of dollars into the present bike, when you can get a brand new one that is likely going to be a better choice, for the same money, seems kind of senseless.
In the end, make a decision and act, or don’t.
Old 01-30-24, 03:27 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Always a good idea to break a new bike in just like you would a new set of boots.

But also note I have never toured on a bicycle...
Old 01-30-24, 03:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Take this from someone that has not toured or bikepacked but has put some thought into possible adventures in the next five years.
I'm leaning towards a belt drive encased pinion gear system fully rigid drop bar bike.
My limited understanding is this would be a more reliable bike in harsh conditions where services might be far off.
Old 01-30-24, 05:21 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Frame material is not important. If modifying a bike that you like and have been using for years will cost almost as much as buying another one for something you wish to do, my vote is for the new bike. Simple: your current bike will still be able to do what you currently do with it and the new bike will be able to do what you want to do in the future
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-31-24, 06:15 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
After rereading the OP I'm still going with my first impulse: do both. I'm a great believer in the pedagogical (pedagogical?) value of bikes, they can teach us. With the combination you will have the opportunity to learn much more. Just as a minor example, you can compare the two+ on the same route and get a much more nuanced understanding of what you want with respect to climbing, descending, cornering, hammering, breezing, etc. Of course the risk is that then you will start to think about what you want in the next bike...
Old 01-31-24, 06:49 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Take this from someone that has not toured or bikepacked but has put some thought into possible adventures in the next five years.
I'm leaning towards a belt drive encased pinion gear system fully rigid drop bar bike.
My limited understanding is this would be a more reliable bike in harsh conditions where services might be far off.
People have been doing impossible things with derailleur equipped bikes since there have been derailleurs. I don't bikepack either but I don't think you can find an adventure bicycle equipped like you want. That should tell you something. And, drop bars? Really? Not saying don't, but you should really think stuff through before spending $$$. Run it by the people that have been there, done that. My peripheral awareness is that Trekking, H, and other, more or less upright, bar systems more to the fore when the mission is anything other than road racing.
Old 01-31-24, 07:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Don't forget the benefits of a used Surly; they're a bit less money, and they retain their resale value if you don't like it.
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-31-24, 07:35 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I'd just go with the Chisel. But which fork? Steel? Or Carbon? Both are good, steel is perfect for hanging real heavy loads on, but the tubing can look a bit strange next to hydroformed alloy, as it's so skinny in comparison. If you have anything cages and big assed bags, though, it wouldn't be an issue. Personally, it's no biggie, but the way a bike looks can really affect how much you want to ride it. Steel forks are cheap and easy to find, like the Krampus/KM fork, but you need to change your headset for the straight steerer (Chisel's tapered headset, right?). Salsa also do forks, but again, they're elegantly slim. Whiskey do carbon forks, as do ENVE etc., but they can cost a little more than steel and lack the hardcore pipe-hitting load carrying capacity of decent cromolly steel. Aliexpress also do a range of carbon forks, but just no. Your teeth are worth more than that.

Last edited by PDKL45; 02-01-24 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-31-24, 07:53 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
People have been doing impossible things with derailleur equipped bikes since there have been derailleurs. I don't bikepack either but I don't think you can find an adventure bicycle equipped like you want. That should tell you something. And, drop bars? Really? Not saying don't, but you should really think stuff through before spending $$$. Run it by the people that have been there, done that. My peripheral awareness is that Trekking, H, and other, more or less upright, bar systems more to the fore when the mission is anything other than road racing.
Maybe it is a niche bike but it has my interest down the road.
No, I do not have anything to do with Priority.
https://www.prioritybicycles.com/pro...riority-apollo
Old 01-31-24, 09:40 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
They are both horrible bikes for a horrible route. JMO. Blah. LOL
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 01-31-24, 11:32 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Maybe it is a niche bike but it has my interest down the road.
No, I do not have anything to do with Priority.
That's not an adventure bicycle. No serious adventure cyclist would be seen alive or dead anywhere near that thing. It is for pretending that you can actually be fast on subpar road surfaces (you can't) and the Belt and IGH are just so they can get a $1K bike to cost $2K with as little effort as possible. Go see what the people at Surly call an adventure bicycle. You can get a pretty cracking rig from them for $2K.
Old 02-01-24, 12:37 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
-Belt and IGH aren't necessarily the best combo to get you out of trouble in harsh conditions, especially of the IGH is an Alfine 11. They may have sorted them out by now, but you have to stay within the manufacturer's recommended settings of about a 2:1 front to rear ratio, because the 11 was notorious for breaking. Often due to guys wanting an IGH, not liking the high gear, going outside of the manufacturer's specs and applying too much torque to the system, before hitting the Internet to complain bitterly. Alfine 8 is more reliable, but think of loaded climbs, because they're both geared really high due to the problem of torque. Get a Rohloff or Pinion if you want to apply torque on an MTB level. The Priority bike is cool and all, I like the belt drive, but it's really a town bike masquerading as a gravel bike with that hub.

-Belt drives had a real moment about 7-8 years ago, but they're a distraction in this thread. Sort of. A lot of the stuff you get on a complete from Surly is of the same level as that Priority's components, just with lower gears because it's a derailleur system instead of a price-point conscious IGH.

-The Surly and the Specialized with a new fork are both great options. Personally I'd go for the Chisel with a new fork, but there are a bunch of good options for a bikepacking bike. Most Surlys, most alloy frame XC bikes like the Specialized with a rigid carbon or steel fork, steel bikes like the Kona Unit & Unit X, Kona Sutra etc. I'd say run what you brung. Don't worry about it all too much and just get some bags for the Chisel and get out there. Work out what works for you, change the fork, see how you like it, grab some cages and dry bags etc. People will poo-poo Aliexpress, but Roswheel and Rhinowalk bags are okay and you can have a decent set of bags for $100 or so. I'd invest in bags, a tarp, sleeping gear and a cook system and just get on out there. You can always upgrade and your bikepacking experience will help you make the right choices.

Last edited by PDKL45; 02-01-24 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 12:53 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
Actually, that nice green Priority has an Alfine 11 speed, so at the very least it could be a great commuter/ pavement light tourer, for drop bar fans. 40c tires are not bad all rounders. It does seem to have toe overlap, even without fenders.
Zero worry about broken spokes. And it's at least possible to switch to Rohloff14. Full cable TRP brakes would be far simpler. I actually met a guy once that had used a R14 on an SE Asian tour and decided he didn't like it. He bought this A11 and crossed the states.
This is at least as good as ANY stupid 1x or Surly Midnight Special. Their steep slope half frames are completely NUTS anywhere but Martian gravel. HORRIBLE for mounting racks and bottles. Surly's are near $2,800 now, may as well get a R14 that lasts FOREVER.
Trouble with Priority Pinion frames, is they are so dumbly sloped also.
MTBs have NO business being used for most commuting.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-01-24 at 01:08 AM.