Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

An honest question for those with many bikes...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

An honest question for those with many bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 05:22 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I have 20 pairs of boxer shorts, and I can only wear one pair at a time. I don't get the point of this thread ?
20 pairs at the same time is definitely better than 1 pair, 20 times.

I got the impression the OP was trying to figure out the actual, real world use profile of N+1.

To carry on with your example:
1 pair o' drawers at a time in rotation always keeps it fresh. Sometime a supporter is better suited for softball. You wouldn't want to wear one every day but it's great for competitive exercise. (Your tempo/threshold bike)

Other days, like Valentine's for example the pair with the hearts print are nice. (The tandem.)

The (C&V) holey ones get worn on Sundays.

The tighty-whities are the go-to for routine business. The utility commuter that sees duty 5 days a week.

Could you ride all at once? No. But each has a use profile that it is suited to best.

OP: A person that has 5x bikes doesn't ride 5x as much. They have 5x the options to ride.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-30-24, 05:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
...I have 20 pairs of boxer shorts, and I can only wear one pair at a time. I don't get the point of this thread ?
I don't do laundry every day and can't imagine wearing underwear for more than one day. BTW I don't wear boxers
Old 01-30-24, 05:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
The cross bike is used mostly in the fall, the road bike mostly in the nicer spring/summer days, the gravel bike sees more nasty weather and longer rides that aren't always meant for speed, just being out enjoying the ride. The MTB is for any time I feel like hitting the dirt and playing in the woods, while the track bike is just for the track. The single speed cross is half for cross season and half for trips into the city with the kids, no one is stealing my cheapie bikes-direct UNO even with the carbon rim upgrade but it lets me ride with the kids and get some effort in at the same time. It just means I have the bike for my intended purpose or mood, gets boring always doing the same type of ride every time.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-30-24, 05:57 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
one unintended consequence of this thread is that it’s made me feel less guilty about buying expensive bikes, they get ridden a lot by comparison! i can totally see the case for having six $2k bikes rather than one $12k bike if you do six different kinds of riding regularly.

also pleased that it almost made it three pages, with lots of good commentary, before someone said something snarky.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 01-30-24, 06:23 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I prefer a harem. Variety is the spice of life.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-30-24, 06:41 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I prefer a harem. Variety is the spice of life.
OK, I know that people can love their bicycles, but are you implying with your choice of words that your passion is taken to another (ahem) level?
Old 01-30-24, 06:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
​​​​​​
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-24, 07:31 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I have 1.5 bikes. I have one basic bike that I use for everything - primarily commuting. If that one is broken down, I will ride my wife's bike, which is almost identical to mine, for a couple of days.
Old 01-30-24, 07:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
As is pretty clear it is different for everyone....which is good

Old bikes last when they are maintained regularly and parts replaced as needed, not because of low miles

me I keep 3 bikes
1) my "best" bike which is used for long rides (would say training...but that is overstating it) and commuting (when I commuted). bike are meant to ride and I try to ride this one the most (Dave Kirk custom)
2) A vintage friction bike, which is backup to bike 1, ride to change it up and for fun and fore vintage events (84 team miyata)
3) bike for errands...just throw a leg over and do a quick errands, run to brewpub, etc avoid short car drives (SR semi pro)

that said I am open to a n+1 if is something interesting (italian...frame have some parts stashed, beater 531 frame...build from more stashed parts I like building bikes )

Old 01-30-24, 08:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
An interesting variety of responses ! The most common seems to be, perhaps, wider riding conditions/terrain/situations than I personally prefer, so, a wider range of bikes. It does seem that most bikes get ridden far less than each of mine, so all the relatively frequent maintenance issues (chains, pads, rotors, tires, cassettes) are spread out over way more time. And finally, I appreciate that sometimes things are just nice to have, to look at, to tinker with, and perhaps if i had more space and time I’d have a lot more bikes. But i know they’d all be really, really similar, which goes back to the first point about terrain type and riding purpose.

i realize I’m also the same about cars, having driven the same two seater for ages until the arrival of a child forced the purchase of a car with a backseat. It’s not that i didn’t think trucks or jeeps or big cruiser sedans weren’t cool, it’s that i preferred small and light and fast most of the time, so i drove small and light and fast all the time.
Someone long ago at the beginning of my career said “when in doubt, make a graph”. I keep yearly mileage of my bikes and have since 1988 when I got my first bike computer. I won’t put out all of my bikes but of the current fleet of 9 bikes, here is the graph of their years in my fleet (multiplied by 100 to show on the graph) and the total miles on each

The amount of usage kind of depends on the utility of the bike. My Moots YBB, for example, was purchased to be a bikepacking bike. I ride it sometimes as a mountain bike but, mostly, I use it for short trips (80 to 150 miles) on a semi regular

My Dean is one of my older bikes but it is just a fun bike with very little utility. Since I can’t carry much on it, I don’t ride it all that often. It’s not one that gets used for commuting, for example.

This one (Philll) gets ridden a whole lot. Its wheel size is about the same as my wife’s 650C bike so I ride it with her. And it is fun to ride and much more useful.

Ah, my embarrassment. This is a great mountain bike but I just don’t ride it. It’s the mountain bike version of the Dean above only it gets used less.

My Cannondale T1 is a bike that may sit for a couple of years and then it gets ridden for a whole bunch of miles at once.

My Dean mountain bike gets ridden a lot on various terrains and commuting (makes the commute more interesting).

This one is at my daughter’s house. We get down there a couple of times a year and it gets ridden only a few miles at a time.

This Cannondale T800 replaced a Salsa Las Cruces that I used for many years simply because I got tired of the color.

My Cannondale Tandem is relatively new and I do have to ride with someone else.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-30-24, 11:10 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Well, since Mr. Black threw down with a graph, I'll plop another one too. I also suffer from the affliction of spreadsheeting my miles (since 1989), and here is the graph for cumulative miles. You may see odd trends as one bike takes over for another as the years pass and the bikes accumulate.
Old 01-30-24, 11:15 PM
mschwett 

love the charts! RCMoeur interesting to see that from 2017 on, you were fairly steadily riding 6 separate bikes, but from 98-02, just one. how would you compare those periods?
Old 01-30-24, 11:36 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I have three bikes and they all get used pretty frequently:

Alberta Clipper - custom Ti road bike. For good weather recreational rides (weekends and holidays)
Silver Jet - steel commuter / gravel bike. For daily commuting and poor weather recreational rides. Also my travel bike since I don't trust baggage handlers with my titanium bike.
Dahon Boardwalk - folding bike. Used for shopping (has a big basket on the back), sometimes commuting (if my regular commuter is down with a mechanical problem), and slow rides with my daughter.

Love them all. They're all well maintained so I can use any of them on any given day without any real preparation.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 01-30-24, 11:59 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by mschwett
love the charts! RCMoeur interesting to see that from 2017 on, you were fairly steadily riding 6 separate bikes, but from 98-02, just one. how would you compare those periods?
You can see when some bikes joined the gang - I'd owned the racer since 1982 and the recumbent since 1983, but in those disorganized days I didn't track anything, let alone mileage. You see spurts where new bikes (in some cases bikes boxed up for decades that finally got built) were added and took miles away from others. And stretches where some bikes didn't get touched for a long time, such as the 6 years the Rans had a broken handlebar I couldn't readily source or when the chrome cruiser was buried in a back room. Hence why I try to give all of them a few miles in recent years.

In 1995 I met the woman who became my wife, we bought our cruisers and the tandem, and rode a lot. Then from 1998-2002 we were busy with other stuff - both working long hours, planning a wedding, buying a house - it all ate into the riding time. Then in 2004, after an exceptional bout of cycling ennui, we decided to get riding again. And she promptly got pregnant, so it was just me. Some years are good, some years not. And that's an excuse for posting yet another graph - this one superimposing mileage by date per year from 1989-2024.

Old 01-31-24, 08:18 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
And let us never forget the bike that you donated and deeply regret donating because you felt you had too many bikes. I dream that my old Miyata road bike will pop up on Facebook Marketplace some day.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 01-31-24, 02:33 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 173 Posts
Don't know if I'm unique or common on this, but I have a few.

Had two working bikes--my commuter and the fun road bike--then the commuter needed service that was delayed awaiting parts. Commuted on the road bike until a ghoulish chain drop destroyed the RD and wheel. Zero bikes.

The hulks and basket cases in the garage were no help and I spent a few months bringing them all back, suddenly I had five! Then, because I was pondering bikes for the first time in a decade I bought a new one, then another. What's that, seven?

They are not ridden equally, not close, but I rotate through them to keep all rideable.

While I was at zero the mechanic and I devised the two bikes are just one theory:
A bike is a collection of parts arguing over whose turn it is to break; therefore, 1 bike < 1, and 2 ≈ 1.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 01-31-24, 05:57 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
You can see when some bikes joined the gang - I'd owned the racer since 1982 and the recumbent since 1983, but in those disorganized days I didn't track anything, let alone mileage. You see spurts where new bikes (in some cases bikes boxed up for decades that finally got built) were added and took miles away from others. And stretches where some bikes didn't get touched for a long time, such as the 6 years the Rans had a broken handlebar I couldn't readily source or when the chrome cruiser was buried in a back room. Hence why I try to give all of them a few miles in recent years.

In 1995 I met the woman who became my wife, we bought our cruisers and the tandem, and rode a lot. Then from 1998-2002 we were busy with other stuff - both working long hours, planning a wedding, buying a house - it all ate into the riding time. Then in 2004, after an exceptional bout of cycling ennui, we decided to get riding again. And she promptly got pregnant, so it was just me. Some years are good, some years not. And that's an excuse for posting yet another graph - this one superimposing mileage by date per year from 1989-2024.

a lot of data to be gleaned there. seems like summer came later between 1999 and 2002!

here is my illustration of cycling serial monogamy for the last three years. the first bike (pinkish red) does still get some miles, but only with my 5 year old onboard and not worth logging. selling the light blue and dark blue.

Old 02-04-24, 10:03 AM
mikeoverly
Stuck in Toeclips

Bikes: https://thesearemikesbikes.blogspot.com/2023/06/mikes-bikes.html

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Multiple bikes means you've always got something to ride if one develops an issue you can't fix right away. And it's nice to have bikes that save your other bikes from road salt, etc. There is probably no rational reason for "many" bikes after that. But I do find myself riding more, because I find myself needing to claim a rational reason for owning many bikes. Plus it's a lot of irrational fun.
Old 02-04-24, 08:10 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I have 6 operating bikes, and another 4 that are not at this time, not including a bike my wife use to ride.

I don't keep track of how many miles I ride on each bike because I simply don't care! I have 2 bikes I ride almost exclusively, the 13 Lynskey Peloton is my regular bike, when I go touring or bike camping I take the 19 Masi Giramondo (after the warranty it is now a 23 Giramondo frame and fork with 19 components). The only other bike I will now ride for special occasions is the 77 Raleigh Competition GS, but that one I will keep the miles low as I can on it. One other bike I take when I go RV camping is an 84 Fuji Club. The others I'm saving for my grandkids, they ride them when they come over, but they can keep them if they want too when they get older. The ones that don't work I will restore them and sell them over time.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 02-05-24 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-04-24, 10:59 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeoverly
Multiple bikes means you've always got something to ride if one develops an issue you can't fix right away. And it's nice to have bikes that save your other bikes from road salt, etc. There is probably no rational reason for "many" bikes after that. But I do find myself riding more, because I find myself needing to claim a rational reason for owning many bikes. Plus it's a lot of irrational fun.
I can’t agree. First, every bike that I have is ready to ride everyday, with the possible exception of a flat tire. Any problem that develops is fixed right away. I have frames in reserve but those are for if something really bad happens and they can be made operational in a couple of hours.

Second, while I do have bikes that are better for winter…see my titanium bikes above…and it is nice to have them set up for winter use, I do have rational reasons for having multiple bikes. The Dean road bike and Specialized Epic are the least rational bikes I own. They are almost pure toys. Joys to ride but, in all honestly, mostly useless. The other bikes in my quiver all have special uses. The touring bike gets used for expedition touring. My YBB gets used for shorter extreme touring. The black Cannondale is a touring bike which makes one of the best commuting bikes I’ve ever used. I commute on the Dean mountain bike and the Nashbar Flashback to keep the commuting fresh. I worked at the same place for 39 years. I commuted roughly 3 days out of 5 all year around. I followed the same route for the most part but along that route, there were trails along a creek that I could ride my mountain bike on. It cut down on the boredom and made it possible to commute like that for that long. I’ve always had a road type bike and a mountain bike for commuting for just that purpose.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-05-24, 10:15 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
I always thought, in consumer America, the person with the most toys wins, No?

1 car family with a 3 car garage = space to make me smile.

To grow one must experience.

Is a DeRosa, better than a Bianchi? Or a Pinarello? Or a Bottecchia?

Does Trek make good bikes?

Are Italian bikes better than English bikes?

ShimaNo vs Campagnolo - across the ages.

I need multiple bikes to mount all the tubular tires I want to test.

One bike does not include vintage, modern, ebike.

How much wrench time can you get with one bike?

There is strength in numbers.

Sometimes, it IS about the bike.
Old 02-05-24, 10:48 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
I have a hard time getting rid of bikes I've spent some time riding on. They usually end up with people I know so I can keep track of them, lol. My old commuter got refurbished when I retired and is hanging at the back of the shed. When I dig that deep it comes out and does some of the old streets from my working days. Thought the neighbor kid might get it but he fell off it 20' out of the driveway and then told me he had never ridden a bike. No way he was going out in traffic with it. Guess the kids will give them away someday.
Old 02-17-24, 08:13 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
My titanium Holland is my main go-to road bike.
I ride a tandem with the wife.
I take a folder on our vacations.
And I have a backup road bike that I ride if it's raining or if the Holland is out of commission.
The other three bikes are rarely used and I just consider them 'guest' bikes for when company wants to take a little spin around the neighborhood.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-17-24, 03:05 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I rotate between my road bikes, one is strictly a crap weather bike, and 1 is when I ride with my wife, commute, or go to the store kind of thing. I get rid of one every so often, but then I have a spot open in my wall of bike racks, and it looks lonely, and wants to be like the other racks and have a bike girlfriend, so I have to get one for it. Recently I thought about picking up a Ti frame and moving parts over from one and use the old frame strictly for a trainer. Sounds like a solid plan, but other project have to come first.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-17-24 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-19-24, 09:18 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I spoke with a musician a while ago about guitars. He says guitar players do have more than one guitar and if "serious musicians" will have a collection of guitars. Sounds like bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.