Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repairing old bikes, some questions since it's been a long time for me

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Repairing old bikes, some questions since it's been a long time for me

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 08:27 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Zar​​oba...you need to go to the Classic and Vintage section of Bikeforums. The "for sale" section will provide you with plenty of low cost options for fixing up your bike.

My Peugeot UO-8 with wider handlebar and $20 swap meet wheels. And a very used Brooks saddle that I brought back to life.
Old 02-07-24, 08:32 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by zaroba
The frame certainly is big for me, I need the seat all the way down to ride it properly.
Based on my possibly outdated knowledge, when the pedal is all the way down my foot will sit flat with my knee only slightly bent.

Seat vs handlebar position is comfortable for me. Only issue is how narrow the handlebars are, but that's because I only started riding again 6 months ago after being off a bike for over 20 years so still getting used to things. So far just using my bikes to commute to/from work a mile away. Hopefully this year I can start riding more. I miss my younger days when I could (and loved) riding rough trails for dozens of miles on a mountain bike (and I still have that mountain bike, 30 years old now and still works great, but riding it on roads is like pushing a boulder).
I wish you the best. Like I said, think of it and use it as an instructive tool--I pretty much guarantee you will be frustrated along the way, but you will pick up skills and maybe even tools that will be valuable to you the next time.

I had tried to do what you're doing with my 1970s Sears Free Spirit in the mid-1980s, but at that time, there wasn't really any upgrades I was capable of making that would have improved the bike. Ended up getting a Centurion Sport DLX for about $299. And yep--it was way better than anything I would have been able to do to my Free Spirit.
Old 02-07-24, 09:57 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
You would be better off working on your mountain bike than spending time and money on a bike that is probably too big and has been badly neglected. Sometimes it does a world of difference to go through an old MTB and clean and re-lubricate the bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket. Switch from knobby tires to city tires with a smooth tread. Replace rubber parts like the brake pads. None of that is very expensive. Both of my decades old mountain bikes are far better than any entry level bike sold today but they were quality, lightweight bikes to start with. I've refurbished many bikes, even ones scavenged from the trash, but would not have give that bike more than a glance because of its condition.
Old 02-07-24, 10:15 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I'm not sure that bike is not worth sinking a whole lot of any money into.
Fify...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-07-24, 10:25 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by zaroba
The frame certainly is big for me, I need the seat all the way down to ride it properly.
Based on my possibly outdated knowledge, when the pedal is all the way down my foot will sit flat with my knee only slightly bent.
).
Are you talking about your foot flat on the pedal? Or, the ground? If your foot is flat on the pedal with the saddle that low the bike is much too big for you
How tall are you?

Last edited by alcjphil; 02-07-24 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 09:47 PM
zaroba

Bikes: 1970s Peugoet road bike, 1995 Schwinn Mesa, 2008 Mongoose XR250

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Are you talking about your foot flat on the pedal? Or, the ground? If your foot is flat on the pedal with the saddle that low the bike is much too big for you
How tall are you?
Foot flat on the pedal. I'm 5ft 9in. If that top bar was just a little lower it would be perfect but I can't straddle it without it rubbing...well...my male bits
Realized today that the trash picked bike I got that rear derailleur from in the above pics also has a front derailleur that might fit this bike, so will try that tomorrow.

And worst case scenario is that I spend money on modern parts for this bike and end up with spare parts if I do get a new road bike, so not a major loss.

Last edited by zaroba; 02-07-24 at 09:58 PM.