Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question about different DT spokes......

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-22, 03:13 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

I've been eyeballing a few sets of budget wheels, and some spec sheets will say they have Swiss DT spokes, but some will specify DT Factory, or DT Industry. I've tried googling these,and found very little info, so I figured I'd ask here. Thanks......
Old 10-04-22, 03:39 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Fascinating. A google search shows some products being advertised with "DT factory" or "DT industry" spokes, but no idea what they mean by that. The different models I am aware of are Champion (straight gauge), Competition (double butted), Revolution (double butted extra thin), Aerolite (oval bladed), and Aero Comp (bladed). Maybe some other model I can't think of off the top of my head, but no "factory" or "industry".
Old 10-04-22, 03:47 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Dt's lowest cost spokes.
I'd trust them vs a "no name" spoke.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-04-22, 07:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Given the economics of spoke making, there's very little room to lower cost on basically similar spokes, ie. SS DB.

Just about the only place to save is on finishing, and I don't think that's enough to matter.

However, I suspect (wonder) that the real difference might be where they're made.

Spokes sold retail must state the country of origin, and I believe those are all Swiss.

But COA rules don't apply to OEM sales, and with most of that business being in Asia, DT might have opted to build a factory there.

So "DT Swiss" for retail, and "DT factory" or not Swiss made for OEM use. Doing it this way is an honest way to stay competitive by producing in a low cost country without saying so directly.

Of course, all the above is just a calculated guess based on what I might do if I were in their shoes.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-05-22, 05:51 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Given the economics of spoke making, there's very little room to lower cost on basically similar spokes, ie. SS DB.

Just about the only place to save is on finishing, and I don't think that's enough to matter.

However, I suspect (wonder) that the real difference might be where they're made.

Spokes sold retail must state the country of origin, and I believe those are all Swiss.

But COA rules don't apply to OEM sales, and with most of that business being in Asia, DT might have opted to build a factory there.

So "DT Swiss" for retail, and "DT factory" or not Swiss made for OEM use. Doing it this way is an honest way to stay competitive by producing in a low cost country without saying so directly.

Of course, all the above is just a calculated guess based on what I might do if I were in their shoes.
Yeah I don’t know for sure either but I would guess OEM spokes could be made elsewhere than Switzerland. Sapim spokes are supposed to originate in Belgium but I have at least one package that says made it Taiwan.
At one point DT made spokes with an extra long elbow presumably bending to pressure from the OEMs to make them that way to speed assembly. Those were not all packaged bulk for the OEMs though because I still have some that came in boxes of 100.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-05-22, 07:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
At one point DT made spokes with an extra long elbow presumably bending to pressure from the OEMs to make them that way to speed assembly.