Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmet recommendations for occasional riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 07:45 PM
MRBoston

Bikes: 1977 Nishiki in rehab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm returning to doing some road riding on my rehabilitated Nishiki Olympic (1977), and I have NEVER worn a helmet in previous life of riding in urban Boston in the 70's-80's. Now it seems like (maybe) it's a good idea, but I am interested in relatively low-cost entry, in case I hate it. Does anybody have recommendations for a functional, non-obstructive piece of headgear for maybe $35-50? Definitely not in market for several hundred dollars (yet). Thanks for any guidance.
Old 06-19-23, 07:54 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
No need to go expensive. Just make sure the helmet you choose meets the Consumer Product Safety Commission standards. And make sure you get the helmet properly fitted on your head (some helmets offer various pad sizes, make sure the straps are adjusted properly).
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 06-19-23, 08:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Specialized Align II is a decent helmet. Keep in mind though the low cost helmets are going to be heavier, less ventilated and usually less sized so the sort of one size fits some or two sizes fit some. It will protect fine which is the end goal of a helmet but a nicer lighter helmet is going to be more pleasurable on the head.
Old 06-19-23, 09:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Amazon has several in your price range. Just make sure it has Consumer Protection ratings.

Old 06-20-23, 11:03 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Although it’s a little out of your price range, a Giro Agilis MIPS ($99) absolutely saved my life in 2021 when I was struck broadside by a car making a left turn across traffic and “didn’t see me”.

I smashed the windshield with my head and left shoulder. I broke the shoulder and about 5 ribs beneath it. The whole left side of my helmet was smashed flat but I only suffered a slight concussion. If it had been my unprotected head hitting that hard I have no doubt that I wouldn’t be here typing this!
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 06-20-23, 12:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Get a helmet with plenty of ventilation. Then hopefully you won't be tempted to hang it on your handlebars as you ride. If you are thin of hair on top like I am, then you might want a sweatVac or some other type of dew rag to go underneath the helmet to keep you from getting a weird suntan pattern on your head.

Most any bicycle helmets you get here in the USA will be CPSC rated. While we might argue which is the better helmet for safety, they are all good enough and better than none when and if you do finally have that bad accident. It took me over 60 years to have mine. Glad I had a helmet on. It was just a cheap Giro Interceptor. It had eleven major cracks. Thankfully my skull only had two minor cracks along with fractured orbits.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-20-23 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-20-23, 01:19 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
MIPS is the real deal for protecting you from concussions and here is a good guide to help get the right fit:https://www.consumerreports.org/heal.../buying-guide/
Old 06-20-23, 01:59 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
the cheap $35 helmets are okay. If the cheapest the store has is like 75$ then there are other stores with the 35$ one.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-20-23, 02:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Lazer Chiru Mips is probably representative of low end but quality-enough lid. About $49 currently.
Old 06-20-23, 07:37 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
I grew up in Tucson and now live in Oro Valley and would not dream of riding in town w/o MIPS. Sy and rsbob are offering you surviving a mild crash w/o a concussion for $15, improving the odds of not having just a headache andt:
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Fatigue or drowsiness
  • Blurry vision
  • Confusion or feeling as if in a fog
  • Amnesia surrounding the traumatic event
  • Dizziness or "seeing stars"
  • Temporary loss of consciousness (though this doesn't always occur)
  • Slurred speech
  • Delayed response to questions
  • Dazed appearance
  • Forgetfulness, such as repeatedly asking the same question
  • Concentration and memory complaints
  • Irritability and other personality changes
  • Sensitivity to light and noise
  • Sleep disturbances
  • Psychological adjustment problems and depression
  • Disorders of taste and smell

Last edited by easyupbug; 06-20-23 at 07:42 PM.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-21-23, 04:51 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
A $25 helmet from Target saved my noggin in a hard spill. The higher priced helmets probably have a degree of better protection, but any helmet is better than slamming your bare head onto asphalt.

I cracked the cheapo in that crash and now wear a $100 helmet that certainly has better fit and ventilation.
Old 06-21-23, 08:27 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I have had helmets ranging from $25 up to $220. My favorite, irrespective of price is a Giro Isode and Register. I have one of each and can't tell the difference. With a little searching, they can be had for under $50. They are lightweight, cool, exceptionally comfortable and MIPS. A cheap, ill-fitting helmet can be very uncomfortable. Th Register can still be had in high vis yellow. Since our heads are in continuous motion and most often visible above passenger cars, having high vis can really increase visual conspicuity.
Old 06-21-23, 10:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by MRBoston
I'm returning to doing some road riding on my rehabilitated Nishiki Olympic (1977), and I have NEVER worn a helmet in previous life of riding in urban Boston in the 70's-80's. Now it seems like (maybe) it's a good idea, but I am interested in relatively low-cost entry, in case I hate it. Does anybody have recommendations for a functional, non-obstructive piece of headgear for maybe $35-50? Definitely not in market for several hundred dollars (yet). Thanks for any guidance.
Go to a bike shop. Ask to try on helmets in your price range. Buy one that fits.
Then actually use it, even if you dislike it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-21-23, 10:18 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have had helmets ranging from $25 up to $220. My favorite, irrespective of price is a Giro Isode and Register. I have one of each and can't tell the difference. With a little searching, they can be had for under $50. They are lightweight, cool, exceptionally comfortable and MIPS. A cheap, ill-fitting helmet can be very uncomfortable. Th Register can still be had in high vis yellow. Since our heads are in continuous motion and most often visible above passenger cars, having high vis can really increase visual conspicuity.
My first helmet back in the 80s was a black Bell. Then the bell rang and have only purchased white ever since. Not quite the high-vis yellow-green, but good enough.

What convinced me into buying a helmet was a coworker who went for a Saturday ride without a helmet, who, for some reason, lost control and hit her head on a concrete curb resulting in a head injury so severe, she was in a coma for days and then was never able to return to work.

Last edited by rsbob; 06-21-23 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-21-23, 11:50 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Specialized Align II - MIPS and it comes in multiple color combos and sizes - currently $41 at the Spec. website. I have the XL in hi viz yellow. Even when wearing a thin SPF liner I don't overheat.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...=297727-186472

And, it scored highly on the Virginia Tech. bike helmet test - #14 - way ahead of other helmets costing hundreds of $$$.
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...atings.html#13

Likes For jlaw:
Old 06-21-23, 12:16 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Simply go to a bike shop. Try on helmets in your price range. Get the one you like best in terms of fit and color. No other way to do it. They're all good enough.
Old 06-21-23, 01:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
If you've never worn one, I definitely recommend going to a store to try them on. Some people find it harder to fit helmets because of their head size, shape, etc., and you might not be able to eyeball the kinds that fit you online.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-21-23, 03:01 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
A $25 helmet from Target saved my noggin in a hard spill. The higher priced helmets probably have a degree of better protection, but any helmet is better than slamming your bare head onto asphalt.

I cracked the cheapo in that crash and now wear a $100 helmet that certainly has better fit and ventilation.
Nov 1, 2012 I flipped over the bars and landed on the back of my head and hip. Cracked the helmet which actually is a good thing (takes energy away from the head).

Cheap Bell skater helmet. Did it's job. While my bell was rung, it kept me out of the hospital.

Last edited by stevel610; 06-21-23 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-22-23, 04:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I Only buy cheap helmets .... I usually buy Bell because they fit the shape of my head, but as other have said, so long as it is a certified helmet ... $35-$50 will get you all the helmet you are every likely to need.You can spend ten time that amount, but there is zero proof that you will survive or not survive, or even suffer or avoid a concussion, based on some specific trademarked selling point. MIPS or whatever Might work in certain situations ..... but then you have to make sure that when you crash you impact in such a way so as to take advantage of the technology.

Not saying that in a few very specific sorts of impacts, MIPS might not help some .... but who has time to make sure one crashes in just the way the helmet is designed to alleviate?

Just kidding .... Any certified helmet is fine.

Nowadays, of course, there is a lot of counterfeit stuff out there. To me, the bigger issue would be to make sure I trusted the seller ..... that $300 helmet offered on E-Bay or Ali-Express for $50 ....
Old 06-22-23, 10:00 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
My son was born in 1976. He has never seen me riding a bike without a helmet in all that time, and he has seen me riding my bike his whole life. Fit and ventilation are important. If a helmet doesn't fit and is too hot you may be tempted to not wear it. A well fitted and ventilated helmet isn't noticed while you are riding. The cheapest offerings may not be comfortable to wear. Sometimes good deals can be found looking at previous years offerings
Old 06-22-23, 12:12 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
I am kinda surprised no one has mentioned the Virginia Tech ratings. If you search for Virginia Tech helmets you should get a link to a fairly impressive site which rates helmets on performance. You can see how they test them, and look at different models. They have list prices and performance scores so you can decide which ones interest you the most. Neither price, nor brand correlate into protection, some lower priced helmets performed better in uniform testing than highr priced ones. When I was looking for a new one a few years ago, the 2nd best helmet in their test was one of the lowest priced, so that's what I bought.
Likes For exercion:
Old 06-22-23, 03:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion
I am kinda surprised no one has mentioned the Virginia Tech ratings. If you search for Virginia Tech helmets you should get a link to a fairly impressive site which rates helmets on performance. You can see how they test them, and look at different models. They have list prices and performance scores so you can decide which ones interest you the most. Neither price, nor brand correlate into protection, some lower priced helmets performed better in uniform testing than highr priced ones. When I was looking for a new one a few years ago, the 2nd best helmet in their test was one of the lowest priced, so that's what I bought.
Just FYI jlaw did mention it.
Old 06-22-23, 03:49 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Specialized Align II is a decent helmet. Keep in mind though the low cost helmets are going to be heavier, less ventilated and usually less sized so the sort of one size fits some or two sizes fit some. It will protect fine which is the end goal of a helmet but a nicer lighter helmet is going to be more pleasurable on the head.
Align IIs were a good deal at $55 blowing them out at $40.99 seems silly but that is what we are doing. Not many left.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 06-22-23, 04:05 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I think the VPI (also: Virginia Tech & Virginia Polytechnic Institute) tests should be publicized with fireworks. Based on their reco, I bought a Bontrager Rally MIPS which was very heavy. I actually bought a women's model for $50 which claimed the same sizing and specs as the men's version. I got a helmet in which I had confidence in at a great price.

After falling and hitting my head a couple of times, I bought an Align II for $55 because it fit my head better than anything else I've ever worn in 41 years of helmets. It has one failing in use: I like to rinse out the pads after most rides, and the pads do not live long. They don't even reattach easily - the dual-sided (kook-glue) things the pads attach to often go with the pads, so I have to re-place the things regularly.

If you buy the Align II - and it's a fine helmet, with an annoying quirk - my reco is to buy replacement pads at the same time. They're $8/set.

Or actually do what I planned to do: complain to Spesh before the warranty is up and demand new pads for free. I rode about 1,000 miles on my Align II last year, and I needed new pads at about 800 miles. I never companied, though, except in this post.
Old 06-22-23, 05:37 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I wear a cycling skull cap under my helmet. Keeps my head cool, prevents striped sunburn and helps keep the pads from gettig filthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.