Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

other than round vs oval, what's the difference between Tipo and Record hubs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 12:33 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts

There is a neighbor selling some clincher wheels featuring Tipo hubs. As for as I can tell, the differences are:

no oil hole in the middle of the hub

round holes instead of oval.

Is there a major quality difference? In fact, why did CAMPY bother making both hight flanged styles?

Robert
Old 07-28-23, 12:58 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
I'm not expert on this but I thought the Tipo as Gran Sport level, with stamped cups, and Record having forged being the major difference.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 07-28-23, 12:58 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
a) yes: Tipo cups are stamped, Record are turned and ground.
b) when you own the top of the market, the only way to expand is downwards
Likes For oneclick:
Old 07-28-23, 01:00 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Finish, too, Record has that great polished and anodized finish, Tipo does not
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 07-28-23, 01:10 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
a) yes: Tipo cups are stamped, Record are turned and ground.
Based on reading that here, I have been buying Record-based wheels. The Tipos I have are destined to be used as dream catchers in the window.

BUT --

Someone here mentioned, perhaps a couple of years back, there's a way to convert Tipos to sealed bearings. For me, that would be a game changer. So if someone has the details...

As for the finish, I am not afraid to polish things.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 07-28-23, 02:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Cones on Record hubs received more attention - ground. Bigger front hub ball bearings.
the bearing shields on Record hubs have a stamped in inboard flange and are chrome plated. The Tipos just material thickness, plated, but not chrome.

QR skewers are different also.

Brian Baylis on his “ aero tour “ bike did a cartridge bearing swap- one hub was straightforward- the other shell required machining- I do not recall which one.
you have to decide what if anything you are going to do to provide a spacer between the bearings. Come up with a spacer set to fill the void of the cones.
Old 07-28-23, 03:12 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
As for the finish, I am not afraid to polish things.
Polished aluminum looks very different than that lustrous Campy anodize.

Polished aluminum doesn't last, either. It corrodes back to a matte grey.

Still, it's up to you.
Old 07-28-23, 03:54 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I was told by a credible source that many of the Tipo hubs were outsourced and roll marked when received . I have one bike with Tipo hubs and it seems to roll just fine but when I greased the bearings I noticed the quality wasn’t near what the NR is.
Old 07-28-23, 04:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Tipo front hubs use 3/16" balls, while Record front hubs use 7/32" balls. Tipo QR lever is retained by a circlip, while Record QR lever is retained by a nut. Tipo QR conical adjuster has a nylon insert to prevent vibrational loosening, while Record conical adjuster has a D-ring and floating metal inserts to prevent vibrational loosening.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-28-23, 06:01 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 264 Posts
One can feel a noticeable difference when turning the axle by hand or spinning a built wheel.
Back in the day, us snobs equated that quality with speed. Who knows if it impacts overall performance.
One thing, for sure, which applies to entire Gran Sport or Nuovo Record gruppos, we never saw pros riding Gran Sport.
Old 07-28-23, 08:54 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Polished aluminum looks very different than that lustrous Campy anodize.

Polished aluminum doesn't last, either. It corrodes back to a matte grey.

Still, it's up to you.
Given how matte gray all my old Record hubs have become, and how well they polish up with Mother's polish, I'm very surprised to hear they were ever anodized. Certainly not the same "milky" anodize used on cranks and brake arms.
Brent

Old 07-28-23, 10:14 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Brent, I think you are correct - Hubs are one of the few Campy Record components that were not anodized.
Likes For daka:
Old 07-28-23, 10:47 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by daka
Brent, I think you are correct - Hubs are one of the few Campy Record components that were not anodized.
Seatposts also we’re not anodized.

the different but notable exception to Campagnolo hub identification were the run of tipo hubs that Motobecane had made and used, high flange tips with the Record hole pattern.
exceptions there were.

First series Dura-Ace hubs were anodized, set them apart. That and the chrome oil clip and chromed lock nuts. Trying to be better, and an uphill climb.
Old 07-29-23, 06:47 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by repechage
Brian Baylis on his “ aero tour “ bike did a cartridge bearing swap- one hub was straightforward- the other shell required machining- I do not recall which one. you have to decide what if anything you are going to do to provide a spacer between the bearings. Come up with a spacer set to fill the void of the cones.
Hmm, not being a machinist , this might mean the results might cost more than simply starting with Record hubs. But I have to check, I think I have two sets of Tipo-based wheels.

Old 07-29-23, 07:15 AM
repechage

Hmm, not being a machinist , this might mean the results might cost more than simply starting with Record hubs. But I have to check, I think I have two sets of Tipo-based wheels.
Brian just did it to be different, that whole bike was a black hole of time consumption.
Old 07-29-23, 10:22 AM
tiger1964 

Brian just did it to be different, that whole bike was a black hole of time consumption.
Isn't that the raison d'ętre of C&V bikes?

But if I found someone retiring, or otherwise got a bunch of good machine tools cheap, I could spend days ruining otherwise perfectly good metal.

I do like the round-hole look of the Tipo, always have.

Old 07-29-23, 11:38 AM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts

Brian did several things that would be considered “different “. His black and white reverse polka dot bike, one side black with white dots and the reverse white with black dots was one.
He got into knife making. I bought his first, a Bowie with pearl handle scales, which I later gave back to him when he said he would like to get it back someday.
Also a collector of vintage drum sets and owned over two hundred early Benjamin and Sheridan air rifles.
A very interesting guy to hang with and talk about a variety of esoteric topics.
Old 07-29-23, 12:43 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Someone here mentioned, perhaps a couple of years back, there's a way to convert Tipos to sealed bearings. For me, that would be a game changer. So if someone has the details...
I've replaced the (worn out) cups on a rear Record freewheel hub with pressed-in cartridge bearings. The cart was a 6001, with an OD of 28.0mm. The axle and retaining bits were borrowed off of a Suntour Superbe Pro hub.

I rode Tipo hubs back in the day for who knows how many miles; their nickname was: "Tipo Cheapo" - definitely not up to the quality of Record hubs, especially the cups. I'm pretty sure that the cup diameter on the Tipo is smaller than 28.0, so the cartridge bearing thing above will not work.

Eventually I found some good Record cups from a damaged hub shell, and swapped out the carts and returned the hub to previous specs. Overall, in terms of stresses and loading, cartridge bearings are simply an inferior solution relative to the cup and cone implementation. Plus, the old Campy hubs were the best foul-weather condition hubs ever, in that after a tough wet ride, you just insert your grease injector into the ports, and spritz the old grease away. Good as new again.

As opposed to with a cartridge bearing, where moisture gets wicked inwards past the inadequate dust-shield, and then it stays there marinating the balls until months later, the internals are a seized-up corroded mess.
Old 07-29-23, 02:28 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
I forever thought they anodized the hubs. Just now checked a NOS NR hub against a NOS NR brake caliper.
No anodizing on the hub! They managed to get the coloring close. But not a match.
Should've figured this out, since semichrome polish got 'em very shiny. Never did this to their brakes!
Old 07-29-23, 02:59 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I have been able to polish the hubs even if they are quite grey when I get them. I got ahold of some wheels and HF hubs from a beater bike . The hubs looked like Campagnolo but when I wiped the grease and oil off , I noticed that they had the milky look that Brent talked about . They had the same black clip but had a gold sticker that said Superbe. They wiped clean easily but would not polish with the Mothers that I use on the alloy parts that are not anodized. I have yet to come across any Campagnolo hubs Tipo or NR that were anodized.
Old 07-29-23, 04:46 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I have been able to polish the hubs even if they are quite grey when I get them. I got ahold of some wheels and HF hubs from a beater bike . The hubs looked like Campagnolo but when I wiped the grease and oil off , I noticed that they had the milky look that Brent talked about . They had the same black clip but had a gold sticker that said Superbe. They wiped clean easily but would not polish with the Mothers that I use on the alloy parts that are not anodized. I have yet to come across any Campagnolo hubs Tipo or NR that were anodized.
Art Stump took some apart and had the shells anodized.
‘he even made a tool to remove the races, overkill he noted. Basically an approx axle diameter rod, with a smaller than a skewer sized insert, then he machined three pieces that were cut into thirds just under 120 degrees, dropped those in, inserted the slender rod and had a very accurate race drift. Front and rear specific.

there was a short series production unit that worked more like a headset head tube removal tool, the splay was much more exaggerated and pretty thick, took quite a bit of force to drive the working
‘feet” behind the race. This was about 1975, no recall as to who mfg. it.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-30-23, 12:22 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I had always heard that the Record hub cones were through hardened (and not just surface hardened) as well? Probably races as well. I think either myself or one of my brothers had a set of Tipos back in the day, and they didn't feel nearly as good as records.