Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Handlebar change for numb hands

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 09:10 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

Anyone running a Soma Dream Hi-Riser Handlebar?
I’m currently riding a 2021 Cannondale Quick 3 CX, I put 12-17 miles a day 4-5 days a week, Besides starting to get the numb bum My main concern is the numbing in my hands, I’ve changed out the riser and have started looking at bars to change. Right now I’m looking at the Soma Dream Hi-riser handlebar.

The Current Bars are stock except for the risers and Argon bar ends . After the bars then I’m going to focus on a new seat. Looking at a WTB saddle.
Old 08-21-23, 04:30 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
I swapped bars from the original Cannondale piece to Raceface Turbine with 3/4" rise and find it more comfortable than the original bars.
https://www.rei.com/product/108399/r...rect-pup=false

I also use Ergon grips - currently GP5 but will move back to GP1.

Are you arms loose? Elbows locked? Dealthgrip on the bars? All of those can cause tingling in the hands.

Last edited by Trav1s; 08-21-23 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-21-23, 07:04 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Looking at the pic all I can say is Yikes! ! !
Your saddle is slammed back on the rails, looks like the seat post is about as high as it can go and you have a stem riser to get the handlebars at that height.
It's easy to say the frame is too small for you and your front to back weight ratio is out of balance resulting in all your upper body weight being moved to your shoulders, arms and hands resulting in numbness.
Best to start with a bike fit and if indeed the frame is too small at least you have a beginning and baseline to start from.
But if you are sticking with this bike as it is you can perhaps get some relief by moving your hand position more frequently to allow blood flow to the extremities.
Perhaps handlebars with more riser height to move your weight to a more balanced position...it is generally accepted that approximately 52% of your body weight is on the rear wheel and the remainder on the front wheel. This allows a good balance to support the upper body comfortably with good control and power to the pedals.
Old 08-21-23, 07:36 AM
bald1der

Originally Posted by Trav1s
I swapped bars from the original Cannondale piece to Raceface Turbine with 3/4" rise and find it more comfortable than the original bars.
https://www.rei.com/product/108399/r...rect-pup=false

I also use Ergon grips - currently GP5 but will move back to GP!.

Are you arms loose? Elbows locked? Dealthgrip on the bars? All of those can cause tingling in the hands.
Went for my ride this morning and tired to pay attention to my arms and hands. My arms appear to be mostly straight and my wrists were more in a downward slope than straight on the bars. I didn't get as much of the numbing this morning but we only rode 10.5 miles this morning.
Old 08-21-23, 07:43 AM
bald1der

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Looking at the pic all I can say is Yikes! ! !
Your saddle is slammed back on the rails, looks like the seat post is about as high as it can go and you have a stem riser to get the handlebars at that height.
It's easy to say the frame is too small for you and your front to back weight ratio is out of balance resulting in all your upper body weight being moved to your shoulders, arms and hands resulting in numbness.
Best to start with a bike fit and if indeed the frame is too small at least you have a beginning and baseline to start from.
But if you are sticking with this bike as it is you can perhaps get some relief by moving your hand position more frequently to allow blood flow to the extremities.
Perhaps handlebars with more riser height to move your weight to a more balanced position...it is generally accepted that approximately 52% of your body weight is on the rear wheel and the remainder on the front wheel. This allows a good balance to support the upper body comfortably with good control and power to the pedals.
I am definitely thinking abut getting a bike fitting at my LBS. The bike is a XL and according to all the metrics it's the right size for my 6'1" frame. I consciously made an effort to pay attention to my hand placement this morning on my ride and noticed that my wrists weren't straight but my arms appear to be.
Old 08-21-23, 09:13 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by bald1der
Went for my ride this morning and tired to pay attention to my arms and hands. My arms appear to be mostly straight and my wrists were more in a downward slope than straight on the bars. I didn't get as much of the numbing this morning but we only rode 10.5 miles this morning.
The closer your arm/wrist/hand line is to flat the better. Also, make sure your arms are slightly bent and avoid locking elbows.

I finally got the GP5s set right and it made all the difference on my 36 mile ride yesterday. They almost feel like the wings are raised where the back of my palms rest. FWIW - I experienced the same thing with the Ergon GA3 grips on my MTB.

pics for reference

Last edited by Trav1s; 08-21-23 at 09:26 AM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 08-21-23, 09:26 AM
bald1der

Originally Posted by Trav1s
The closer your arm/wrist/hand line is to flat the better. I finally got the GP5s set right and it made all the difference on my 36 mile ride yesterday. FWIW - I experienced the same thing with the Ergon grips on my MTB.

pics for reference

I've got the GP2, I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with the GP5. I made a seat adjustment based on Kai Winters comment and adjusted the bars slightly. We will see how my ride in the morning goes. My LBS is closed today so based on my ride tomorrow I may made an appointment for a bike fitting.
Old 08-21-23, 09:42 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by bald1der
I've got the GP2, I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with the GP5. I made a seat adjustment based on Kai Winters comment and adjusted the bars slightly. We will see how my ride in the morning goes. My LBS is closed today so based on my ride tomorrow I may made an appointment for a bike fitting.
RE: GP5 - with the original Cannondale bars, the GP5s were a better fit. Since the bar upgrade I find myself more comfortable in the lower hand position and less need to change to the side or up positions. That was clear after the 36 mile ride yesterday. Now to order the GP1s.
Old 08-22-23, 05:23 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
just got back into riding in late 2021 after stepping away for around 20 years

my hands (etc) would get numb at times for the early rides - but this has not been a problem recently ... even on bikes with a less than ideal setup ...

sometimes it just requires some time before you / your body / parts of your body can become accustomed to riding

this is often the case with seats

Last edited by t2p; 09-27-23 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-20-23, 09:28 AM
1962schwinn

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Tiger, 1977 Schwinn Typhoon, 1979 Schwinn Spitfire 5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was having some numbness issues, and came across some YouTube videos about Ritchey Kyote bars. Made enough sense to me to try, the bend is such that the reach doesn't change. Bars kick forward then come back very close to my straight bar distance. Hands/wrists are now in line with my forearms which is much more comfortable. Well priced at around $40.
Likes For 1962schwinn:
Old 09-26-23, 12:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
A very different style, but I love my Velo-Orange Tourist bar. The sweep puts my wrists, arms, and shoulders in a much more neutral position. They have a variety of swept handlebars; worth checking out.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-26-23, 03:57 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
A very different style, but I love my Velo-Orange Tourist bar. The sweep puts my wrists, arms, and shoulders in a much more neutral position. They have a variety of swept handlebars; worth checking out.
Yes. This type of handlebar is the only type I am comfortable with. My bike also has the winged type grip as well.
Old 09-26-23, 06:13 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I've recently put butterfly/trekking bars on one of my road bikes. Has made all the difference in the numbness department.