Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trifecta (Worksman) three-wheel now a two wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 05:33 PM
miami_librarian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My wife went walking and saw a used bike, told me to buy it and I did what husbands do - take orders from their wives.

Turns out the tire and rim and hub need work. Any thoughts as to where to get another rim for this bike? It is a 20 inch wheel, axle is 5/8" in diameter, and it appears to have a key slot on the axle.

Thanks!

P.S. My bicycle experience includes breaking my front teeth falling off a bike racing down a hill in Oakland in 1966, colliding with a milk truck and being knocked unconscious for about an hour in Napa Valley in 1969, and numerous wipeouts in the 70s jumping everything from 10-speeds to Stingrays off homemade ramps in the neighborhood thanks to Evel Knievel. For the younger people, we didn't have helmet laws and back then social networking meant going outside and doing things with a bicycle that defied physics.

Thrilled to have made it to senior citizen... can't wait to show folks the old fogies on the way to the pool what I can do on a three wheel.

[Note: message says I can't post photos until I have made 10 posts.]
Likes For miami_librarian:
Old 10-12-23, 11:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
From your handle, I gather that you live in South Florida. If so, you're in luck because these trikes are very common there, and you shouldn't have a problem getting parts or service.

Just to get the terminality straight, bicycle wheels conprise 3 elements; hubs, spokes and rims. So, if you're shopping for a rim, all that matters is size and the number of holes. However, you'll then need to lace it to the hub.

OTOH you can shop for a built wheel, but need to get one with the specific hub, which is keyed to the drive axle. Those hubs are specific to trikes, so you'll need to find a source that knows trikes.

Worst case, ANY decent bike shop should be able to source a rim and lace up a wheel on your hub.

Last thought, your wheel may be saveable, so don't write ot off yet.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-12-23 at 11:29 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-13-23, 03:57 AM
miami_librarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
From your handle, I gather that you live in South Florida. If so, you're in luck because these trikes are very common there, and you shouldn't have a problem getting parts or service.

Just to get the terminality straight, bicycle wheels conprise 3 elements; hubs, spokes and rims. So, if you're shopping for a rim, all that matters is size and the number of holes. However, you'll then need to lace it to the hub.

OTOH you can shop for a built wheel, but need to get one with the specific hub, which is keyed to the drive axle. Those hubs are specific to trikes, so you'll need to find a source that knows trikes.

Worst case, ANY decent bike shop should be able to source a rim and lace up a wheel on your hub.

Last thought, your wheel may be saveable, so don't write ot off yet.
Thank you! Unfortunately, the wheel has completely rusted and disintegrated on a large portion of the rim. It appears that someone painted over the rust with black paint.Thank you for telling me that I can just change the rim. Let me look for a local bike shop and attend to that.
Likes For miami_librarian:
Old 10-13-23, 07:56 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
some close measuring will probably show the axle to be 15mm (.590"), not 5/8"... the typical trike only drives one rear wheel... the wheel that is driven is typically driven by a flanged hub with a pin in it...the pin mates up to any of three holes in the wheel's hub flange
the keyway is for the central drive from the pedals, and is not used for the wheels, typically.

here's one of the flange drive ones... there are also "D" drive styles...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18513882337...Bk9SR8TY6b3lYg

Last edited by maddog34; 10-13-23 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-14-23, 05:36 AM
miami_librarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you! This is very helpful. Thank you also for the link.
Old 10-14-23, 06:31 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I'm sure these people can help. Even if only telling you the parts that you can then scrounge.