Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 10:22 AM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Wheel questions

I need wheels right now. I found some vuelta track wheels that are in my budget. A question I have is will I have any issues using my bikes original 10 speed freewheel on the rear of a single speed track wheel. I like these wheel because they are 36 hole rear and 32 hole front. I am aware that more spokes can give a more comfortable ride. These particular wheels look to have high flange hubs as track wheels do. In this configuration does the flange height of the hubs negate comfort characteristics that you might get by having 36 and 32 spoke wheels compared to something with less. I'm not a racer by any means. I just ride with my friends or solo. I want to invest in a road bike tubeless setup this year. How many spokes would be recommended for me at 185lbs. Probably still just under 200 with backpack with supplies. good vision so very few pot holes are hit and no fgfs or wheelie ing. While running 700 35c tires in urban metropolitan areas and no plans to run any cargo accessories.

I would want to run rims brakes. How many spokes should I aim for front and back. What type of spokes might I want and how high of a flange height should I try to have.

Last edited by Bike jambalaya; 02-19-24 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-19-24, 10:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Yes you will have troubles. Your ten speed cassette won't fit on a hub that is made for a single speed track bike. Nor will the wheel have the needed dishing of a road bike wheel with 10 speed free hub.

If you need wheels, then you'd do well just looking for your best deal on a wheel set for bike that supports a ten speed cassette. If your bike is a mountain bike, look for mountain bike wheels. If it's a road bike or one of the many sub-genres, then look for road bike wheels. Call or email the vendors if you aren't certain what will fit your bike. They'll help you if they want your money.

Try a LBS (local bike shop) They might find some inexpensive wheels for you. It was about twelve years ago, but one close by got me a wheel set for $90. Not bad for the POS bike I was riding back then.

Welcome to BF!

Last edited by Iride01; 02-19-24 at 10:48 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-19-24, 10:43 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 966 Posts
Track wheels are 100/120 spacing, the rear hub will have a single cog thread with a left thread lock ring. These do not sound right for your application.

You should be fine with 32 or 36 spokes.
Old 02-19-24, 11:39 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Welcome Bike jambalaya ,
Track Wheels are so very obviously not suitable, I have to assume you are quite new to cycling.

With that in mind and your need for wheels "right now", a local bike shop (LBS) will be able to save you from making the wrong choice.
Be sure to mention tubeless if that is a current requirement.

I'm 200lb and ride road bikes with "short" flange and I won't go below 24/24 front/rear spokes for both alloy & carbon rims.
24/24 or above are fine for road riding at 200lb.

All the best

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 02-19-24, 11:55 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Those are clearly the wrong wheels. As others have said go to your LBS and they can get you the correct wheels. If you want durability and longevity save your money and have a custom built wheel set done by a well known well regarded wheel builder. If you are just looking for something budget your local shop can get you something. You are likely to spend $200-400 for a wheel set and if you spend a bit more you generally get better parts that will last longer and you have a better potential at tubeless compatible rims.
Old 02-19-24, 12:22 PM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

Ok

Last edited by Bike jambalaya; 02-19-24 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-19-24, 12:28 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Likes For mrv:
Old 02-19-24, 12:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Welcome Bike jambalaya. It may be helpful to identify (a) the bicycle for which you are trying to buy new wheels, and (b) your budget.
Old 02-19-24, 12:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike jambalaya
Just checking my user title
That wasn't a response to what I wrote at all curious, why? If you are trying to get a rise out of me for something else, sorry you failed. You can easily make vegan Jambalaya but none of that has anything to do with your wheel issues or bikes at all.

Take your bike to your local shop and they can help you find wheels.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-19-24, 12:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by veganbikes
That wasn't a response to what I wrote at all curious, why? If you are trying to get a rise out of me for something else, sorry you failed. You can easily make vegan Jambalaya but none of that has anything to do with your wheel issues or bikes at all.

Take your bike to your local shop and they can help you find wheels.
I think OP's issue is not with jambalaya, but with (at least his) LBS.
Old 02-19-24, 12:57 PM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

I don't go into the lbs and pester them about mechanical ideas I think up because I read something somewhere. They'll just get annoyed. While in my head I'm just asking some questions. Spending the time to enlighten people does not pay their bills. Being a good sales person and selling things does. So I prefer to go in their when I know what I need. If they have it. They make a sale. I think sending people to their lbs prematurely can create a negative experience for people entering cycling. As bike mechanics are sometimes know to be "sharp around the edges"
So possibly consider that before repeatedly suggesting people hit their lbs. Let's allow other to join in that dont log in as often.
Old 02-19-24, 01:02 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

I don't go into the lbs and pester them about mechanical ideas I think up because I read something somewhere. They'll just get annoyed. While in my head I'm just asking some questions. Spending the time to enlighten people does not pay their bills. Being a good sales person and selling things does. So I prefer to go in their when I know what I need. If they have it. They make a sale. I think sending people to their lbs prematurely can create a negative experience for people entering cycling. As bike mechanics are sometimes know to be "sharp around the edges"
So possibly consider that before repeatedly suggesting people hit their lbs. Let's allow other to join in that dont log in as often.
Bringing your bike to a LBS for wheels should not annoy them.

Telling you to go buy XYZ wheels for a bike you've provided no information on, and getting it wrong, will annoy you.

I think the BF Community has provided trustworthy information.

Sorry you don't agree, would you like your money back ?

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 02-19-24, 01:16 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
In my view, Bike Jambalaya is partly right. Go into the LBS at 5pm on a random Friday night in the middle of winter, and you will likely be called by your first name, as you get the shop's full attention and immediate service, as well as all the local bike scene news. Go into the same shop at noon on a Saturday in May, and you might wait in line to drop off your whole bike to a pimply teenager behind the counter.

Part of being a really good customer is knowing and respecting that difference.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-19-24, 01:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I don't go into the lbs and pester them about mechanical ideas I think up because I read something somewhere. They'll just get annoyed. W
Some will, but many won't. At least not in my country and particularly not the LBS's near me. And as for just asking them general questions about the bike or maintenance thereof, once you get the the mechanics in the shops here talking, you'll be hard pressed to end the conversation and get out of the shop in less than almost an hour.

Don't just assume everything you read is correct. Or that your circumstances are exactly the same as the person that wrote it.
Old 02-19-24, 01:55 PM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

I wonder how it goes on food forums lol asking what color potatoes and how many too incorporate into your diet and they say to visit your local dietitian for that information.
Old 02-19-24, 02:10 PM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

I don't think suggesting a lbs visit is even necessary. It's inevitable that one will find their way into one eventually. Assuming they is even one available. Why does everyone always assume that we can just ride on over. Not knowing at least what the weather is like in the country that we're in.
Old 02-19-24, 02:45 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I don't think suggesting a lbs visit is even necessary. It's inevitable that one will find their way into one eventually. Assuming they is even one available. Why does everyone always assume that we can just ride on over. Not knowing at least what the weather is like in the country that we're in.
Depends on the person in the shop to whom you speak. Many of the people who work in shops are there because they are bike nerds. Yes, it is possible that you will encounter someone who looks down their nose at you. You might also encounter someone whose goal is making a sale. However, it is rare in my experience that salespeople in bike shops work on commission. What you are also likely to meet is someone who is genuine in wanting to help you. At least I was back when I worked in a bike shop many years ago. I have done a good bit of travelling on cycling vacations both in the US and France. One thing we always wanted to do is visit bike shops. We always met great people when we did
Old 02-19-24, 02:54 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I wonder how it goes on food forums lol asking what color potatoes and how many too incorporate into your diet and they say to visit your local dietitian for that information.
10 speed Freewheel? I doubt it!
What's your budget?
What's the OAL?
Maybe you should help the people that ARE trying to help you instead of acting like a spoiled brat and responding to those that aren't.
Ignore list.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-19-24, 03:01 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

When attempting to help you, we are only aware of details you actually choose to provide.

Unsubscribed

Barry
Old 02-19-24, 03:13 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Here's a suggestion, just go ahead and buy whatever you think is best off the internet. Do not seek advice from a bike forum or bike shop. After you have your wheels mounted on your bike and take the first ride with them, let us know how it worked out. You can save yourself from wasting any more time, and maybe you can then give us some worthwhile suggestions,
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-19-24, 03:57 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Wow OP, way to make friends.......
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 02-19-24, 04:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Everyone is suggesting that you visit an LBS because no one can read your mind; you have identified neither the bike nor your budget. We do not even know what size wheels you need. No one has expressly suggested that you "ride on over" to your LBS, although I suppose we all assumed that you have alternate means of transportation.

Now I am curious what country you are in that also uses pounds (lbs.) as a unit if not in the USA.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-19-24, 04:41 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
Doesn't anyone else smell the popcorn? Salt and butter on mine please.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-19-24, 07:17 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
I suppose this is like if you went on a food forum, asking “what color potatoes are best for making cheesecake, and should I cut them with a spoon or a spatula?”, and then scoffed when people suggested you talk to a chef.

The thing about patronizing the lbs is that they’re happy to answer questions when you need help buying something, and this is part of the value of spending your money there. $250 spent on the right wheels at a shop will help you a lot more than the wrong wheels bought for $100 on the internet.
Old 02-19-24, 07:31 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
The thing about patronizing the lbs is that they’re happy to answer questions when you need help buying something, and this is part of the value of spending your money there. $250 spent on the right wheels at a shop will help you a lot more than the wrong wheels bought for $100 on the internet.
Well said. The bike shop knows this all too well and they want to help. Every day they deal with people who come in with problems from stuff they bought cheaply on the internet.
Likes For ScottCommutes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.