Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Helmets cause more danger

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 09:32 PM
TreeUnit
Guy on a Bike

Bikes: Chromoly Univega with Nexus Hub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2893122&page=1

Click on the "Video>Click to Watch" on the left, and choose the John Stossel clip.

The clip shows that helmets put you at a greater risk on the road. Drivers have a tendency to tailgate bikers with helmets.
Old 02-23-07, 09:47 PM
FlatFender

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to fall on my own more than I get hit by a car. Ill take my chances and wear my helmet.
Old 02-23-07, 10:07 PM
Bob N.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
What color wig are you getting Treeunit?
Old 02-23-07, 11:13 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The conclusions implied by the video didn't prove to me that you are safer without a helmet. Of course, helmets cannot guarantee anything, I feel that I am better off wearing a helmet. Of course I would resist any legislation mandating their use.

Old 02-23-07, 11:23 PM
BikeManDan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The conclusion made in the video is that when drivers see a helmet, they treat the cyclist as someone who knows what they're doing. You therefore see closer passes and less exaggerated swerves into the opposite lane.

I'm personally fine by this. I actually PREFER cars to pass closer. Am I crazy? Probably but my rationale though is that as long as the car isn't hitting me or causing me to change course its fine and the further they stay out of the opposite lane the safer it is for other drivers on the road.
Old 02-23-07, 11:50 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I wonder if John Stossel would of preferred having or not having a helmet before being hit by that pro wrestler, when he asked him if wrestling was fake..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35wyVQxXUA
Old 02-24-07, 12:13 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are a couple of thought-provoking comments to this piece here.
Old 02-24-07, 07:01 AM
Garandman
Fred

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sp0rt, Trek hybrid, eBike, Xootr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on a lot of narrow back streets in Boston. The cars come just as close either way because there's no room for them otherwise.

I don't think the author has ever visited a head injury facility, or any discussion of not wearing a helmet would be moot. As the bikies [motorcyclists] say, "$5 head, $5 helmet."
Old 02-24-07, 07:22 AM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
The theory and tests presented in this video illlustrate, in a limited way, how cagers react to persons with and without helmets. It's conclusions have no bearing on whether it's safer to use a bicycle helmet or not. The test measured the activity of the drivers. No where did I see any test that actually involved the helmet. So, why are they trying to say this has anything to do with bicycle helmets?
Old 02-24-07, 07:33 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't wear helmets much, but that 'study', which has been discussed countless times here in BF, is so full of holes it makes swiss cheese look like a wall of titanium. I think the best conclusion that can be drawn from it is that if you look 'different' and unpredictable, drivers probably give you a wider berth.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-24-07, 07:45 AM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
A good study that really gives clear results can produce data that is clear to make a conclusion. In other words, the data is so convincing just provide that data and the conclusions are self evident. In this report the opposite happens. No real data and they spoon feed the conclusion to us.
Old 02-24-07, 07:52 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
No real data and they spoon feed the conclusion to us.
Sounds just like almost every so-called study of bicycling safety bandied about on BF.
Old 02-24-07, 08:06 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In regards to not wearing a helmet, a friend of mine always says:

no brain, no pain !!!!!!
Old 02-24-07, 08:15 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
The post peaked my interest. Then I saw John Stossel's name. What a jackass. I don't even consider his opinions. I have found that he forms and opinion first then searches for things that will reinforce them. Weather they are fact or anothers opinion.

I don't wear a helmet very often either.

Last edited by capejohn; 02-24-07 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-24-07, 09:00 AM
GCRyder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
A good study that really gives clear results can produce data that is clear to make a conclusion. In other words, the data is so convincing just provide that data and the conclusions are self evident. In this report the opposite happens. No real data and they spoon feed the conclusion to us.
You really can't tell from the TV report whether it was a good study or not. But the result as reported should come as no surprise, since it's just a variant of something that psychologists and economists have observed in hundreds of different settings. Measures that are perceived to reduce risk invariably produce more risk-taking. I rememeber one economics professor making the point by asking - "How carefully do you suppose people would drive if every car's steering wheel had a razor-sharp spear mounted two inches from the driver's chest?"
Old 02-24-07, 09:04 AM
!!Comatoa$ted
Senor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
The post peaked my interest. Then I saw John Stossel's name. What a jackass. I don't even consider his opinions. I have found that he forms and opinion first then searches for things that will reinforce them. Weather they are fact or anothers opinion.

I don't wear a helmet very often either.
I did not think Stossel was still on TV for the reasons you speak of.

I rode without a helmet for about 25 years, and just started wearing one a few years ago most of the time. I have not noticed drivers treat me any different with or without a helmet. Most are all right, but it only takes one idiot driver during any ride to make your ride hell. I have noticed cyclist treat me different when I wear a helmet though.
Old 02-24-07, 09:10 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
In regards to not wearing a helmet, a friend of mine always says:

no brain, no pain !!!!!!
Yet you manage to avoid both AND wear a helmet.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-24-07, 09:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Most cyclists don't wear helmets to protect themselves from cars. Most of us wear helmets to protect us from the ground. I've biffed 6 or 7 helmets and all of them were due to impacts following a fall. In a collision with a car, the helmet won't usually do much in the primary impact (our heads are usually higher than the car) but it will help in the secondary impact when the cyclist hits the ground.

On a secondary note: If Stossel rides to work as much as he says, why doesn't he raise his saddle! If I rode anywhere with my saddle that low, my knees would kill me He'd also get a whole lot more respect from motorists if he'd ride predictably.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-24-07, 11:47 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with cyccommute. A car-whuppin' will trump any helmet.

I used to play alot of football. There's a reason why we wore helmets. Same with hockey, lacrosse, snowboarding, downhill ski-racing, etc, etc... They work most of the time against most of the human powered accidents. I'll take the edge and wear one.
Old 02-24-07, 12:49 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TreeUnit
https://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2893122&page=1

Click on the "Video>Click to Watch" on the left, and choose the John Stossel clip.

The clip shows that helmets put you at a greater risk on the road. Drivers have a tendency to tailgate bikers with helmets.
People still watch 20-20? aren't these the guys who loaded a car trunk up with fuel set off a small explosion in it, then claimed it was an explosion due to 'rear impact?' Who knows or cares...maybe it was sixty minutes, maybe it was some other luddite media fabrication, up there with 'thermite' and the WTC collapse.

roughstuff
Old 02-24-07, 01:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I've biffed 6 or 7 helmets and all of them were due to impacts following a fall.
6 or 7 times? Was that as an adult while riding on the street, or did all these head banging falls occur during competition and vigorous mountain biking? If the former, I suggest a change in your cycling venue, or technique, or both.
Old 02-24-07, 01:27 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I didn't know Stossell was a cycle commuter.

Is the popular sentiment about being "scared stiff" unintentionally hamstringing Americans? Just like in the exodus to the roads in place of flying post 9/11, more americans died due to their fears.

Are Americans unjustly fearful of cycling?

What about the idea that the exercise from riding the bike is what "safe" is?
Old 02-24-07, 01:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I also noticed there was a bike lane on Manhattan island that was clear of motor traffic, and a lot of other bicyclists. when they showed john stossel without a bike lane, i saw no other cyclists.
https://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2896180
More Bek BS. When Stossel was in the bike lane there was one other cyclist. When Stossel was on the road without a bike lane there was one other cyclist, although that cyclist was farther behind Stossel. Also notice the bike lane was not clear, as there was a cop car farther back blocking the bike lane.

The only time the clip showed more than 2 cyclist, was a shot of a Central Park road that had been closed to motor traffic for the purpose of weekend recreational cycling.

Last edited by CB HI; 02-24-07 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-24-07, 01:40 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone actually watch the 2 hour show last night?

Anyone read the books whos authors commented? The Culture of Fear, Freakonomics?
Old 02-24-07, 03:01 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
6 or 7 times? Was that as an adult while riding on the street, or did all these head banging falls occur during competition and vigorous mountain biking? If the former, I suggest a change in your cycling venue, or technique, or both.
Give Stu a break, he's large like me - sometimes gravity and the laws of phyisics are not our friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.