Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

73 (or thereabouts) Grand Record

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-13, 07:21 PM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

I'm trying to decide if I want to drive two and a half hours to look at this Grand Record. Price seems high to me, but I don't know much about the value of these. Here is the CL ad. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/3916148680.html

Anyone have input?

French Motobecane - $450 (Carterville, IL.)
image 1 image 2 image 3 image 4 image 5 image 6 image 7 image 8
1972 Motobecane Grand Record

Beautifully lugged, 58cm, manganese molybdenum frame
Reynolds 531 double-butted tubes
Stronglight Competition headset
Campanolo Nuovo Record shifters
Campanolo Nuovo Record derailleurs
Nervar Competition crank (52/42t)
Atom (Maillard) close ratio freewheel cluster (14, 16, 19, 21, 24)
Atom pedals w/ Avocet (Italian) clips and straps
Normandy Luxe Competition hubs w/ M. M. Atom skewers
Weinmann (Belgian) rims
Weinmann cetre-pull brakes, and levers w/new cables, and NOS gummy hoods.
( I have the original - rather dry - hoods. I have added quick releases on front and rear brakes, for my own convenience...
but still have original cable-hanger brackets.)
Fresh black gel tape w/ twine-wrap on Pivo bars.
Pivo stem.
New, fat (1-1/4) Kenda "training" tires
Beautiful original pearl-grey lacquer paint shows a few dings and rubs
Original Brooks Professional leather saddle
Weight; about 23 lbs.

This bicycle was in storage for nearly thirty years.

Exquisite, all original, classic European road bike.

$450.00 or best offer.
Old 07-15-13, 07:44 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
At that price it doesn't do anything for me personally, but if you have your heart set on a Grand Record it's worth a look. I also think the price is a bit high. Poor presentation hurts but the condition does not look that great. Those look like 27" clinchers to me...

If it were close I'd say go offer him $350 and see what happens but that's a long drive. I'd pass.
Old 07-15-13, 07:46 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Looks ready to ride, at the price it's a good deal. Only cause you don't have to do much of anything to it.
Old 07-15-13, 08:06 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
At $400, it would be a very good deal. I'll bet it's better than the photos. Also, as I have a GR, but with the plain lugs, that paint just doesn't hold up well.
Old 07-15-13, 08:37 PM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Yeah, you can see where there's a bad cosmetic spot on the top tube. The seller says it's paint, but I'm not sure if it isn't just the clear coat. FastJake is correct, it has 27" clinchers, but the hubs appear as if they might be original. The big thing that bothers me is the fork crown, it appears to be a lower quality version than what these typically came with. I'm guessing it's original as they seem to have used whatever was available when parts ran low.

I don't think I would pay more than $300 for what I see. Maybe after seeing it in person and riding it I might feel different. It's been for sale for a little over a week I think, but probably not worth the drive to make a low ball offer. Guess I'll see if he'll send me more pictures so I can make a better decision.
Old 07-16-13, 04:02 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
The Motobecane Grand Record is a pretty darn nice bicycle that will offer much better than average ride quality, in my opinion. If the one pictured is in good condition, I see no problem with the price. Though usually broke, myself, I would pay the price and scoop the bike.
Old 07-16-13, 08:01 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Frame would have to be dent or "ding" free for anything near $400. As mentioned, as nice bike if you're into the French stuff.
Old 07-16-13, 08:39 AM
Bikedued

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
If it was Italian you guys would be jumping up and down yelling go get it. I happen to think French bikes are just as nice. It all depends on your point of view. I happen to think the price is completely fair, as long as the "ding" doesn't affect the metal. I can fix almost any paint problem with duplicolor and a few hours. The Ironman below had a silver dollar sized solid rust spot wrapped around the center top tube cable guide area. You'd never guess it unless you looked very, VERY closely at it.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 07-16-13 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 10:05 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Don't we have a member near there? You might be better off seeing if you can get some one closer to look at it for you. As stated if your into froggie bikes and want a Moto it might be a good deal but not when you add in 5+ hours driving.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-16-13, 11:31 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts

The Nervar crank is puzzling. TA is what I remember on these bikes. Though the Nervar is easier to deal with removal. So maybe thats a plus.

Cool French bike. Where the heck is Carterville? Oh, way down there.

A guy in Chicago had a black one with xtra Campy parts on it. Sat most of the summer at $550. I'm not sure if it sold or not.

$450 is kinda steep. Especially with Kenda tires. Bike deserves better.

It would be nice to see a pic of the saddle. Get an idea of condition.
Old 07-16-13, 12:59 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I would think $400 or so a presented. So with the $450 price tag and the 5 your drive it isn't really worth it considering condition.
Old 07-16-13, 01:10 PM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Fork crown is identical to my early 70's GR. Headbadge is different than mine. GR's are nice riding bikes. I might be ok with the price if it was local,but driving 5 hours, no way.
Old 07-16-13, 02:21 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
+1 to most of the above. Nice bike, price too high for the market. Seems to me that $450 is close to 'all the money' you could ever get for a Grand Record. For example if I was to sell mine I'd be happy getting that much..in Chicago. That one looks in very nice, original shape, but it's way off the beaten track so the seller should build that into the price.

BTW the paint issue is even more evidence of originality.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 07-16-13, 02:36 PM
Bikedued

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
The Nervar crank is puzzling. TA is what I remember on these bikes. Though the Nervar is easier to deal with removal. So maybe thats a plus.

Cool French bike. Where the heck is Carterville? Oh, way down there.

A guy in Chicago had a black one with xtra Campy parts on it. Sat most of the summer at $550. I'm not sure if it sold or not.

$450 is kinda steep. Especially with Kenda tires. Bike deserves better.

It would be nice to see a pic of the saddle. Get an idea of condition.
As per a conversation with a knowledgeable person at Yellow Jersey who was there when these bikes were new, he said they never knew what crank would be on the Grand Records when they came out of the box. It could be a TA, or the Nervar. Mine came with the Nervar crank as well.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 07-16-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 03:10 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I have also heard that not knowing exactly what parts you would get on a 70's Moto till you took it out of the box was pretty typical. I have seen a guit a few that are basically original and have yet to see two that where identical parts wise.
Old 07-16-13, 03:37 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

1974 Moto catalog lists the lugs as 'NERVEX Professional or PRUGNAT Professional.' They weren't even sure about that!

And the brakes...catalog says Weinmann or Universal.

Then at the bottom of the specs page is a picture of a little sad-eyed French guy, Gauloise drooping from his lip, wearing a greasy shop apron, shrugging his shoulders.

Okay, that last part might only be in my personal copy of it.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 07-16-13 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 09:49 PM
loose spoke

Bikes: 11 steel, 1 scandium, 1 carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
If it was Italian you guys would be jumping up and down yelling go get it. I happen to think French bikes are just as nice. It all depends on your point of view. I happen to think the price is completely fair, as long as the "ding" doesn't affect the metal. I can fix almost any paint problem with duplicolor and a few hours. The Ironman below had a silver dollar sized solid rust spot wrapped around the center top tube cable guide area. You'd never guess it unless you looked very, VERY closely at it.,,,,BD

+10 Where else do you find a Reynolds 531, Nervex (or Prugnet) lugged frame for that money. The components are a bonus. This is a bike with refined handling for a reasonable amount. One of the prettiest too IMHO.
In the end, everyone is looking at different priorities.
Old 07-29-13, 06:50 PM
acoffin 

Well I pulled the trigger on the Grand Record! I was close to getting a nice looking 73 Raleigh Gran Sport in CT that was going to be facilitated by a forum member, but decided I needed to see this first. I was able to get the seller down to $350, which I think is a fair price. It's overcast here today, but will get better pictures soon (these are the sellers CL pics) and start a new thread over in CV. Thanks for everyone's help in appraising this.
Old 07-29-13, 07:48 PM
StLbikerdude

Bikes: '11 Giant Defy2, '05 Salsa Las Cruces, '94 Schwinn Passage and '86 Schwinn Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride! Seems like a much better idea than shipping from CT
Old 08-01-13, 07:55 PM
Chicago Al 

Condition looks great, price very reasonable considering that. Is that trainer part of the package? Even a basic fluid trainer is probably worth $50 on CL (in the winter).

I am certainly partial as I like my own GR very much, but it seems to be a model that *everyone* likes...I seldom go for a ride without someone commenting, either a middle aged guy who knows the bike or a younger one who just likes the look.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 08-01-13, 09:39 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+10 At $350 you did very well. And if the trainer is included, its a jumbo score. I have sold similar trainers in the winter for $60 to $75. Extras can make a very good deal a GREAT deal.
Old 08-01-13, 11:26 PM
acoffin 

Originally Posted by wrk101
+10 At $350 you did very well. And if the trainer is included, its a jumbo score. I have sold similar trainers in the winter for $60 to $75. Extras can make a very good deal a GREAT deal.
Thanks, guys. The trainer did not come with it unfortunately. The bike is in alright shape. the components are very clean actually, but the paint is not as nice as I had hoped. Good thing I like patina! I overhauled the wheel bearings last night and took it on a quick mile and a half ride today. I want to repack all the bearings and do some kind of treatment on the saddle before taking it on a real ride. The Normandy Luxe Competition hubs were a huge PITA to clean since they do not have removable dust covers. The 40 year old grease had turned to glue! On the good side though, I'm blown away by how stable and responsive this thing is! Thread coming soon in C&V, I've go a bunch of questions that I am sure I'll get varying answers on

Here is a picture from my ride today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-08-01 17.34.26.jpg (75.6 KB, 16 views)