Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Serious Problem I can't reach my brake levers!!!

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 01:11 PM
Casperxm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Serious Problem I can't reach my brake levers what is the problem, should I move my bar up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
phpZUFlX6PM.jpg (48.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-08-14, 01:23 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your seat is all the way forward, really low in the seat post and you have a small stem already.

I would guess you need a bike with a shorter top tube (smaller frame).
Old 10-08-14, 03:49 PM
Casperxm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im getting a zero offset seatpost which will bring me an inch forward i'm hoping that will make the difference if not i guess got to spend some money

Last edited by Casperxm; 10-08-14 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 04:13 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your bike fits will enough, then tilt the bars up to level, that will shorten the reach a bit. Also look into wedges or adjustments that bring the levers themselves closer to the bars.

I agree with joeyduck - looks like an overall fit issue. I have the same seat-forward-short stem, which just barely works for me, should have whole different geometry to fit me properly.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 10-08-14, 04:44 PM
Igualmente

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I recall, you are 5'11" and the bike is a 60cm. So, it is likely a bit of a fit challenge (i.e. the frame is not ideal, but might be workable). Good thing you have what looks like a short stem (is it 80mm?).

I take it your problem is using the brake levers when you are on the hoods because it is too far from the seat to the brake hoods? If so, +1 on what RoadTire said: rotate the handlebars upward (they should be rotated so that the bottom straighter portion of the handlebar is level or angled downward a bit... not like they are now pointing upward). See what that does.

Also, I would recommend double checking that your saddle height is ok. It should, at least, not be too high. The higher it is, the longer your effective reach to the handlebars and brake levers. Sit fully on the saddle, place a pedal at the bottom of its stroke roughly inline with the seat post, then try putting your heel on the pedal while you are seated properly. Your heel should reach the pedal without difficulty (but with a pretty straight leg), otherwise your seat is probably too high.
Old 10-08-14, 05:34 PM
jwarner
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm all about rotating those handlebars up until the flat part of the drops is pointing slightly downward. As has been said, this will likely help you out when riding the hoods. I might also consider the placement of your brake handles. I can't tell from the picture, but it seems to me that you might be able to get the actual handle closer to the bend in the drops by bringing them up on the handlebar a little, which will also shorten your effective reach.
Old 10-09-14, 10:32 AM
Maxillius

Bikes: 2014 Genesis GS29 (Yellow Fork)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Move the brake handles to where you can reach them. I know you'll have to retape your bars but a little change can make a big difference, and you won't have to change your riding position.
Old 10-09-14, 10:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Your bike might be too big for you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-09-14, 10:40 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
The entire setup is wrong in so many ways. The bike frame is for somebody about six feet tall, or from 5'10" to 6'3". How tall are you? A more stretched out position will enable you to reach the levers easier. I suspect you have a "my bike is too big" fixation but it might not be if you set it up correctly.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 10-09-14 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-09-14, 10:44 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
if you can't change to a smaller bike consider changing to a flat bar to bring the braking position closer, zero off set seatposts will only bring you at most an inch closer, and I'm guessing by your stem and seat position you'll need closer to 2-3 inches. good thing is that you have a single speed, so cost for new bar and levers would be minimal. If like the look of mustache bars, you could probably keep the levers.
Old 10-09-14, 10:52 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures. How about a white garage door picture of you on the bike? Also, some measurements, like clearance between the top bar and your ... maybe you have really long legs and short torso fit problems. Let's get some pictures and measurements.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.