Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

checking nutrition facts off a company's website..

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 04:25 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts

So I am keeping a Diet/Fitness journal I picked up @ borders, and I have to say that this is 100 times easier than using Diet Analysis + or Fit Day online.

Anyways, I am planning for dinner to eat at a place called McAlister's Deli. Some of you may know the place. I love their nacho basket, which is pretty much just chips and queso.

Anyways, on their website the facts are:

Serving size: 4oz
calories: 433kcal
fat: 25g
carbs: 42g
protein: 15g

Anyways, how on earth is a whole basket of chips and queso only 433 calories? The chips alone they give are plentiful and the queso is pretty loaded in the cups. Is there any chance that these people only calculated the queso dip opposed to the chips? Odds are one of yall reading this may have ordered this before, but it seems fishy. I would except at least 650-700 calories.
Old 05-17-09, 04:51 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Well 4 oz is not that much and it's 1 serving. The basket probably has multiple servings.
Old 05-17-09, 05:21 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Well 4 oz is not that much and it's 1 serving. The basket probably has multiple servings.
+1

4 oz is only 1 serving. the basket may be 2, 3 or even 4 servings.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 05-17-09, 05:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yep, you've really got to watch those "serving sizes".

Ever had a look at a 575 ml bottle of coke (the standard size bottle you'd get out of a pop machine)? A "serving" is 250 ml. So first of all, who drinks only 250 ml of a 575 ml bottle of coke? And secondly, it's not easy to calculate the calories in that bottle of coke because 250 doesn't go into 575 nice and easily. I've watched people have a glance at their bottle of coke and say to someone, "This only has 120 calories in it ... that's not bad." .... but in reality that's 120 calories per 250 ml, or 276 calories in the bottle. Great for a long distance ride ... not so good if you're not exercising.

Bags of chips do the same thing ... only 270 calories .......... per 20 chips, not for the whole bag.

Does this McAlister's Deli place have the option of choosing the "small chips" or whatever instead of the 4 oz measurement?
Old 05-18-09, 12:06 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
No it didn't. Unfortunately I failed to read the side note that said "Nachos are about 4 servings."

I about fell over cause that puts that basket at 1700 calories. Good god I ate only 900 calories before that meal and that set me up about 500 over my BMR, and there was no exercising today. Oh well, let be known that nacho baskets are no more!