Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Need advice on chainwheel please/ new guy intro

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 11:52 AM
Madmickmcmad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'Ey up.
This is my first post on here, I'm mick from east Yorkshire, I hadn't ridden a pushbike in at least 20 years, I think it was the GT dyno that I had swapped my CB radio for, it got nicked a couple of weeks later. (I'm 37 now) and after my daughter getting big enough that I need a bike to keep up with her on her bike, I decided I had to have a bmx as they are cool, and that nostalgia came flooding back, and the dreams of that raleigh burner that I never had...

Anyways, I bought a ruption rfs01 off a local selling page for 25 quid,
Tarted it up a bit with some new grips and pedals, and serviced any bearings that were rattly,
and was looking at those new tiny chainwheel setups everyone seems to have these days, but that turned out to be a pain in the arse...
Long story short, I want to put some mag wheels on it, apparently you can only put (no smaller than) a 16T freewheel on the rear, which going off the normal charts says I would require a 44T chainwheel at the front.

At the moment I have a 39T chainwheel at the front and 14T freewheel at the rear, I'm wondering, how much difference would it make if I kept the 39T chainwheel I have now with the 16T on the rear?
Old 10-11-17, 11:50 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
16t is standard, a 39t will be a bit easier to pedal just a little slower, after a week you won't even notice it.
Old 10-13-17, 12:40 AM
worldofbmx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!
With 39:14 You can make apr. 4.44m per one revolution of the pedal, but with 39:16 - 3.89m. So distance made by same pedal revolution will be 14% shorter, but it also will be 14% easier to accelerate/go against the slope.
Changing of teeth for cog makes a more significant difference then adjusting sprocket.

I prepared worldofbmx.com/w/gear-ratios/ (can't post links yet) - some colored tables with some recommendations[/URL], but more related to Bicycle Motocross racing, which can be relevant if You like to use Your bike for longer distances and universally.