Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Long leg, short torso frames

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Long leg, short torso frames

Old 02-02-18, 02:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Georgina Terry has long designed bikes for women, being one, her company has sold a lot of them over the decades...

the shorter top tube requirements (withougt going 75 or 76 degree seat tubes, common approach, got her using 24 " front wheels ...

Bike Friday goes 1 better 20" wheels 8 different frame lengths . all the component picks you desire, etc..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-02-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 02:49 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
GeorginaTterry has long designed bikes for women, being one, her company has sold a lot of them over the decades...

the shorter top tube requirements got her using 24 " front wheels ...
So, you didn't read the article, either?

The shorter TTs are because of back angle, not torso length.

You don't know what you're talking about. Please stop repeating baloney you've heard and then arguing about it.
Old 02-02-18, 03:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Meh... my back angle is that of a multi month international touring cyclist not a racing stud muffin..

I sorted out my fit needs by 50 years of riding, though I had to stop , while serving in the US Navy during the Viet Nam war era

there is just no room to bike on a nuclear submarine..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-02-18 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 03:45 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Meh... my back angle is that of a multi month international touring cyclist not a racing stud muffin..

I sorted out my fit needs by 50 years of riding, though I had to stop , while serving in the US Navy during the Viet Nam war era

there is just no room to bike on a nuclear submarine..
As always, thanks for the bizarre recommendations and non sequitur musings.

You get that Grandpa Simpson onion-on-the-belt thing a lot, don't you?
Old 03-15-18, 11:03 AM
M83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,
I am 5'7" (170cm) with 32" inseam (81cm) and I think I have the same problem (short torso - long legs). I also have the same bike (CAAD). I ride a 52, should I have gone for the 50???
Old 03-15-18, 01:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by M83
Hi all,
I am 5'7" (170cm) with 32" inseam (81cm) and I think I have the same problem (short torso - long legs). I also have the same bike (CAAD). I ride a 52, should I have gone for the 50???
I don't think so, but no way to know without photos.
Old 03-17-18, 04:12 PM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by M83
Hi all,

I am an athletic 65-year female with very much the same physiology. My arms are in proportion with my long legs which I impacts fit as well. I am currently riding a Specialized Crossroads Sport with a size M step-through frame which I believe is proportioned for women riders (correct me if I'm wrong). I feel like a 52 frame should be right for me; I have always had a better fit with a women's frame. Curious to hear what others have to say, from experience, as I am looking to upgrade my bike.

I like the versatility of my CR, but am not happy with the performance of the rim brakes. I would also prefer a bike with 2x gearing instead of the 3x8 on my bike; I rarely use the large chain ring and 2x chain ring would be much simpler. Consequently, I am looking for a road/trail bike with disc brakes, flat handlebars, a semi-upright riding position, and women's geometry (not necessarily step-through). So far, I have not been successful. I want to purchase from my favorite LBS which sells Specialized, so I have not looked outside that brand. I rode a Sirrus and like the ride, but it isn't suitable for off-road with 700x30 tires; would like at least 38 wide and a less high pressure tire. I also prefer no fork suspension, which leaves out the Cross Trail and Ariel models. I've almost decided I'll have to choose another frame model and convert from drop bars, a costly modification since shifter/brake levers would also have to be replaced. If only the Sirrus frame would accommodate wider tires. The best we could come up with it is to run a wider, off road, lower pressure tire on the front, since the forks have more tire clearance; the chain stays are strictly 30mm. I like the Specialized Trigger tire for multi-purpose. Any ideas???
Old 03-17-18, 04:34 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by M83
Hi all,
The CAADs are relatively low bikes, meaning that the head tube is short and the handlebar on the low side. The ideal bike for you would be the opposite - a bike with a tall head tube for its size. That allows you to buy a bike with an appropriately short top tube but still have the handlebars high enough.
Old 03-19-18, 04:52 AM
M83

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
The CAADs are relatively low bikes, meaning that the head tube is short and the handlebar on the low side. The ideal bike for you would be the opposite - a bike with a tall head tube for its size. That allows you to buy a bike with an appropriately short top tube but still have the handlebars high enough.
Thanks for the advice Kontakt.
After examining stack & reach from geometry tables, I think that a Cervelo R or a Ridley Helium would have been wiser choices. I guess that having a long saddle like an Arione only makes things worse? I always find myself moving my b*** backwards in order to find a comfortable place to sit.
Old 03-19-18, 10:22 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by M83
Thanks for the advice Kontakt.
After examining stack & reach from geometry tables, I think that a Cervelo R or a Ridley Helium would have been wiser choices. I guess that having a long saddle like an Arione only makes things worse? I always find myself moving my b*** backwards in order to find a comfortable place to sit.
The saddle shouldn't matter. A different saddle isn't going to make you happier with your reach.