Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

It's time for Fatbikes to have their own forum

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 02:58 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Fatbiking is exploding, and fatbikes don't always fit with mountain bikes, sometimes it's winter biking, and sometimes it's commuting.... One sticky thread on Mountain Biking isn't enough. So it's time for Fatbikes to have their own forum on BF. Please and thank you!

I'm sure you can find dozens of threads to move to this new forum right away.
Old 01-14-16, 03:02 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Fatbiking is exploding
That's because carbon is becoming more common for fatbikes.
Old 01-14-16, 03:03 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by RPK79
That's because carbon is becoming more common for fatbikes.
That made me laugh out loud! Thank you!
Old 01-14-16, 06:26 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
We've discussed this last year and there is simply not enough interest. Since November of 2015 we've had five posts in the fatbike sticky thread. It just doesn't seem to hold enough interest to warrant a full subforum for it.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-15-16, 07:14 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
We've discussed this last year and there is simply not enough interest. Since November of 2015 we've had five posts in the fatbike sticky thread. It just doesn't seem to hold enough interest to warrant a full subforum for it.
Interesting point, however I would say most people are posting on the subject of fat bikes outside the sticky. This is a far from complete search of threads on the subject of fatbikes:

https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-b...-fat-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...-fat-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...pressions.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...ike-tubed.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...e-options.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...-fat-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdale...-any-good.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...w-fatbike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...r-cycling.html

A couple threads I started:

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...fat-bikes.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...e-commute.html

In my opinion, the fatbike is more diverse than simply a "mountain bike" and many people don't got to the Mountain Biking forum to find it. If anything the sticky should be on Winter Cycling. We have a Beach Cruiser forum and BMX forum, I think you'd be surprised to see how many post you'd get if fatbikes had their own forum.
Old 01-15-16, 07:23 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
At the end of it, Fat Bikes are just a type of MTB, if you wanted to give them there own forum, you would need to give 26'er, 69er's 29'er, 27.5/650B, 29er+, 27.5+, Singlespeed, Enduro, Freeride, DH & XC individual forums, and I'm sure I have missed out many others.

Not really seeing any reason to create another forum, all the people I know who have fat bikes also have MTB's, and probably one or two of the others listed above. Not sure that there are enough users on BF to justify it eiter, the MTB side seems small here, and post are few compared to say MTBR, where there are lots and lots of sub forums.
Old 01-15-16, 08:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by jimc101
At the end of it, Fat Bikes are just a type of MTB, if you wanted to give them there own forum, you would need to give 26'er, 69er's 29'er, 27.5/650B, 29er+, 27.5+, Singlespeed, Enduro, Freeride, DH & XC individual forums, and I'm sure I have missed out many others.

Not really seeing any reason to create another forum, all the people I know who have fat bikes also have MTB's, and probably one or two of the others listed above. Not sure that there are enough users on BF to justify it eiter, the MTB side seems small here, and post are few compared to say MTBR, where there are lots and lots of sub forums.
The fatbike is more than a simple variation on the MTB. Every other variation of MTB is typically a bike for mountain biking; therefore, fit with the larger Mountain Biking forum. However, the fatbike is more diverse because of the low contact pressure allowing for sand riding, snow riding, and other soft surfaces that all other typical 2" MTB tires sink into. Yes, fatbikes are used for mountain biking, but that's a very narrow view of the fatbike. Are you going to use a freeride bike for snow riding? Full-suspension for beach riding? DH bike for commuting? Nope, but the fatbike is commonly used for all of the these types of riding; and Beach Cruises have a forum, Winter Cycling has a forum, Commuting has a forum. It make sense to me to create a fatbike forum. However, it appears I have no support and I will end this effort.

BTW - SS has it's own forum
Old 01-15-16, 08:22 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know what it takes to add a forum, so I can see both sides of this. But being a minor fatbiker, and seeing the title list Hypnotoad came up with, makes me lean in his direction.

I've added a rear rack to my fb, and The future holds two new sets of tires, slicks and studdeds, So I have more options.

And I pop into the fatbike room from time to time to see what's up. fwiw.
Old 01-15-16, 09:16 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
One of the threads Hypno Toad referenced was started by me. I put it in the regular mtb forums because (as a newbie), I didn't know that there was a better place to post other than MTB's. Maybe it would be fair to create a fat bike sub forum, or a specialty sub forum for fat tire bikes?

Having a sub forum would save members time by not needing to search other forums and will also generate more topics since "if you build it, they will come". I'm sur many members do not post because there really isn't a place other than the mountain bike forums in general.
Old 01-15-16, 10:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,816 Posts
Nope, but the fatbike is commonly used for all of the these types of riding; and Beach Cruises have a forum, Winter Cycling has a forum, Commuting has a forum. It make sense to me to create a fatbike forum.
And you can use a lot of types of bikes for each of those types of riding. If I had a question about winter cycling (on any type of bike including a fatbike), I'd just post it in that particular forum. Same with commuting. But that's just me. I get where you are coming from after gravelbiking got it's own forum, but, for the most part, the forums tend to be use-specific rather than bike type-specific (with the exception of hybrids and SS/FG-but that seems more a lifestyle than a type of bike for many people), and I think that if you have uses and types of bikes as all separate forums, things will get spread out too much and the audience and participation in any one given thread will drop as it's harder to find (in part, because we all know the search function on this isn't the greatest).

Old 01-15-16, 10:03 AM
jimc101

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
BTW - SS has it's own forum
SS MTB doesn't, which was my point, with MTB's there are so many niche variations, that i you had a forum on BF for all, there would be too many to manage.
Old 01-15-16, 10:14 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by jimc101
SS MTB doesn't, which was my point, with MTB's there are so many niche variations, that i you had a forum on BF for all, there would be too many to manage.
Like himespau just posted "Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking" has it's own forum, and yet it's really just "mountain biking" on a "road bike". There is a lot of crossover areas in the forums. The only con argument I'm hearing is "slippery slope".... meh. Weak argument, but whatever.

You don't like that fatbikes are different from all other mountain bikes, fine, I won't change your mind. I have a different perspective.
Old 01-15-16, 02:21 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Quick history lesson- the last time a sticky turned into its own forum was 2013 and that was for Beach Cruisers. That sticky was WAY more active for a lot longer than the Fatbike sticky in MTB has done since its inception- which was in response to a couple of people seeking the creation of a Fatbike forum (see the OP of that thread if you don't believe me).
Old 01-15-16, 07:02 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by no1mad
Quick history lesson- the last time a sticky turned into its own forum was 2013 and that was for Beach Cruisers. That sticky was WAY more active for a lot longer than the Fatbike sticky in MTB has done since its inception- which was in response to a couple of people seeking the creation of a Fatbike forum (see the OP of that thread if you don't believe me).

It make sense to me to create a fatbike forum. However, it appears I have no support and I will end this effort.
Translation -
Old 09-05-17, 06:46 PM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
I am a long time member of the C&V forums (and commuter) but I've been riding a fat bike lately. I was really surprised to find that there wasn't a fat bike forum on BF yet. If there is a Fixed Gear Freestylin' forum I think one for fat bikes would be ok. I have a lot of questions and it's weird after 10+ years of going to BF for answers to not have this resource now that I'm riding a new type of bike.

I'm assuming that there is another forum out there?
Old 09-08-17, 07:39 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by swen0171
I am a long time member of the C&V forums (and commuter) but I've been riding a fat bike lately. I was really surprised to find that there wasn't a fat bike forum on BF yet. If there is a Fixed Gear Freestylin' forum I think one for fat bikes would be ok. I have a lot of questions and it's weird after 10+ years of going to BF for answers to not have this resource now that I'm riding a new type of bike.

I'm assuming that there is another forum out there?
Before moving to a home-office, I used my fatbike for commuting, and not just on the snowy days. It's fun to use the fatbike on a summers day too!

We need to be careful, we don't want to upset the BF curmudgeon (read 'haters'). I was blown away by the number of negative posts when I made this suggestion nearly 2 years ago. To your point, BF has "Beach Cruisers" and "Fixies & SS" forums, but "Fatbikes" .... NO WAY, that's asking way too much.

This is my go-to web site for fatbike info: https://fat-bike.com/ Also, if you do Facebook, this is a good group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thefatbikes/
Old 09-10-17, 10:56 AM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Before moving to a home-office, I used my fatbike for commuting, and not just on the snowy days. It's fun to use the fatbike on a summers day too!

We need to be careful, we don't want to upset the BF curmudgeon (read 'haters'). I was blown away by the number of negative posts when I made this suggestion nearly 2 years ago. To your point, BF has "Beach Cruisers" and "Fixies & SS" forums, but "Fatbikes" .... NO WAY, that's asking way too much.

This is my go-to web site for fatbike info: https://fat-bike.com/ Also, if you do Facebook, this is a good group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thefatbikes/
Thanks Hypno! I've already been to the local single track a couple limes, love it! I'll check out that site. Seems weird to me that BF is resistant here.
Old 11-26-17, 06:05 PM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for own forum.
Old 11-28-17, 04:35 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 231 Posts
I too think its time for our own forum. Its as different a ride as is possible on a bike. There could be threads on tires, low pressure gauges, tubeless conversions etc. When I first visited the sticky, I was shown a closed poll! How welcoming is that? The price level of decent fat bikes https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-fat-bike.html jumped to five pages quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
felt5.jpg (211.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 11-28-17, 11:05 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 350 Posts
Another vote for at bike forum. YES!
Old 11-29-17, 02:42 AM
GTryder

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
+1 Another vote for a seperate forum.
Old 11-29-17, 03:25 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Fatbiking is exploding.
Not in this part of the world.

I'm sure in Minnesota, its still going strong. Lots of places to ride, even in the cities.

Here, they are just something that people laugh at, ride for a short period, and either get stolen or dumped on the secondhand market cheap.

I had one for a few weeks, my knees didn't agree with the wide q-factor crankset spacing, or my back hauling that 20+ KG beast up to the 6th floor.

I miss the cushy ride though.

A subforum would literally take seconds for the mods to add, how difficult can it be?
Old 11-29-17, 07:56 AM
GTryder

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Not in this part of the world.

A subforum would literally take seconds for the mods to add, how difficult can it be?

I was one of the first requesters...a few years ago...still hasn't happened!
Old 11-29-17, 10:23 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
There just wasn't a whole lot of interest. A handful of people, maybe.

Tell you what. Why don't you start a thread in mtb. Maybe a poll. And I'll review it again. PM me to remind me to look it over in a few days.. Lets say by this Saturday.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 11-29-17 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 05:24 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
There just wasn't a whole lot of interest. A handful of people, maybe.

Tell you what. Why don't you start a thread in mtb. Maybe a poll. And I'll review it again. PM me to remind me to look it over in a few days.. Lets say by this Saturday.
Sorry, it's past Saturday... but here's a reminder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.