Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Great Ride Video

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Great Ride Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 12:11 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

If you camp there, earplugs will keep you blissfully unaware of your surroundings.
You would be a fool if you tried camping along the trail anywhere near the city, Perhaps maybe if you were really good at stealth camping but I wouln't take the risk.
Old 04-02-19, 12:17 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Once you get to the C&O, you’ll find the drug and gang issues are strictly a GAP concern. However, you’ll still have to deal with those pesky mosquitos. Arm yourself with some DEET.
Old 04-02-19, 12:34 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
And why are you quoting me out of context? Why don't you post the full quote?

The trail goes right through Mckeesport and Duquense. Mckeesport and Duquense have very high crime rates. I believe that Mckeesport has been given a higher crime rate than Detroit recently. It is not advisable to ride that section of trail at night. I would not ride any of the trail at night that is in the city.
I'm not quoting you "out of context." You mentioned gang and drug activity. I did not see any part of the video suggesting that riders avoid certain parts of the trail at night or mentioning anything about gangs or drugs. If it makes you feel any better, I'll include your post entirely, but it won't change the point of my post.

Quote:
I prefer riding from Pittsburgh toward DC. Though I have never done it the other way. But if you are just doing the GAP, the best way might be from Cumberland to Pittsburgh. You can park in Cumberland for free and the train leaves Pittsburgh at a reasonable hour. The problem there would be getting to the station on time. You could leave Dravo REALLY early and meet it or stay in the hostel in Mckeesport or get an expensive room downtown. I don't usually recommend riding the trail at night, due to drug/gang activity in Mckeesport and Duquense but I think that early in the morning you should be OK.

You can also leave your car at a police station. Mckeesport allows it and I think Robinson does too. I am sure others would allow it, if they have he space and if you call.

If you are doing the whole thing, one option would be to rent a car at both ends. You can drop the rental car at the Pittsburgh airport and ride the Montour Trail from the airport to the GAP.

Trains are a PITA with schedule but I think it still beats driving or a shuttle.

P.M. me if you need help at the Pittsburgh end.

End quote.

After watching the video, my wife and I discussed a possible visit and ride of either some parts or the entirety of the trail. Now, admittedly a prudent touring rider would do well to research any prospected ride, but based solely on the content of the video one would think the ride is just short of riding in heaven. Nowhere is there any mention of drugs, gangs, or avoidance of riding at night at any portion of the trail. I thank you for your input. The perspective of those with experience is uniquely valuable and appreciated. I also understand the video to be one of positive recognition and appreciation for a wonderful piece of shared infrastructure. In the event we should visit the trail, we'll be sure to do much more research.

-Kedosto
Old 04-02-19, 02:47 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Kedosto
I'm not quoting you "out of context." You mentioned gang and drug activity. I did not see any part of the video suggesting that riders avoid certain parts of the trail at night or mentioning anything about gangs or drugs. If it makes you feel any better, I'll include your post entirely, but it won't change the point of my post.

Quote:
I prefer riding from Pittsburgh toward DC. Though I have never done it the other way. But if you are just doing the GAP, the best way might be from Cumberland to Pittsburgh. You can park in Cumberland for free and the train leaves Pittsburgh at a reasonable hour. The problem there would be getting to the station on time. You could leave Dravo REALLY early and meet it or stay in the hostel in Mckeesport or get an expensive room downtown. I don't usually recommend riding the trail at night, due to drug/gang activity in Mckeesport and Duquense but I think that early in the morning you should be OK.

You can also leave your car at a police station. Mckeesport allows it and I think Robinson does too. I am sure others would allow it, if they have he space and if you call.

If you are doing the whole thing, one option would be to rent a car at both ends. You can drop the rental car at the Pittsburgh airport and ride the Montour Trail from the airport to the GAP.

Trains are a PITA with schedule but I think it still beats driving or a shuttle.

P.M. me if you need help at the Pittsburgh end.

End quote.

After watching the video, my wife and I discussed a possible visit and ride of either some parts or the entirety of the trail. Now, admittedly a prudent touring rider would do well to research any prospected ride, but based solely on the content of the video one would think the ride is just short of riding in heaven. Nowhere is there any mention of drugs, gangs, or avoidance of riding at night at any portion of the trail. I thank you for your input. The perspective of those with experience is uniquely valuable and appreciated. I also understand the video to be one of positive recognition and appreciation for a wonderful piece of shared infrastructure. In the event we should visit the trail, we'll be sure to do much more research.

-Kedosto
Yeah you did to make it look like I mentioned the whole GAP has a problem when the problem is really only riding between Dravo at night. So stop trying to play innocent.

Why would the video mention an issue that almost every major city has? The trail between the city is perfectly safe during the day time. And probbaly safer than most major cities at night.

Last edited by spinnaker; 04-02-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-02-19, 06:28 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Yeah you did to make it look like I mentioned the whole GAP has a problem when the problem is really only riding between Dravo at night. So stop trying to play innocent.

Why would the video mention an issue that almost every major city has? The trail between the city is perfectly safe during the day time. And probbaly safer than most major cities at night.
Atta boy! You sure told me!

-Kedosto
Old 04-02-19, 07:03 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Atta boy! You sure told me!

-Kedosto
On my very short block list. Juvenile trolls aren't worth my time.
Old 04-03-19, 04:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
IKR. I started from PGH on a Saturday morning back in 2013. The biggest problem I had was finding my way from The Point to the Hot Metal Bridge, which a local helped me solve. I don't recall seeing anyone out and about while riding through McKeesport, much less hordes of people trying to do me harm.

Some of us do. Others sit at home, afraid. I just wish the latter would stop spreading their irrational fears.
Old 04-03-19, 05:20 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR. I started from PGH on a Saturday morning back in 2013. The biggest problem I had was finding my way from The Point to the Hot Metal Bridge, which a local helped me solve. I don't recall seeing anyone out and about while riding through McKeesport, much less hordes of people trying to do me harm.

Some of us do. Others sit at home, afraid. I just wish the latter would stop spreading their irrational fears.
Can you read??? Didn't I say you should be OK early in the morning? Ask the people of Mckeesport if their fears are "irrational".

And if you can show me where I said "hordes of people trying to do me harm". If you can do that, I will buy you a platinum membership.

All I said was it was not smart to be on the trial at night in the area near the city. Tell me something wrong with that.

Last edited by spinnaker; 04-03-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 05:28 AM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Are there any issues finding campgrounds on the GAP without reservations? I want to go sometime in late June after school let’s out with my 11 year old. My unpredictable work schedule makes it hard to nail down exact dates.
Old 04-03-19, 05:38 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by flyjimmy
Are there any issues finding campgrounds on the GAP without reservations? I want to go sometime in late June after school let’s out with my 11 year old. My unpredictable work schedule makes it hard to nail down exact dates.
I think all but Ohiopyle have hiker biker policies (and not sure about Ohiopyle) so no reservations are needed. You don't want to camp at Ohiopyle anyway since it is a long rocky climb to the campgrounds and yet another climb to the office. Tried once, turned around and got a room in town. We did not have cooling gear so we were not going to go back down and make the climb again after dinner.

The free sites are pretty much first come first serve. You probably should be OK unless you were unlucky enough to arrive in the same place a large group stopped.

Last edited by spinnaker; 04-03-19 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 05:41 AM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks Spinnaker
Old 04-03-19, 05:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Can you read??? Didn't I say you should be OK early in the morning? Ask the people of Mckeesport if their fears are "irrational".

And if you can show me where I said "hordes of people trying to do me harm". If you can do that, I will buy you a platinum membership.

All I said was it was not smart to be on the trial at night in the area near the city. What is obvious is we have at least two members now that takes people out of context, blows statements out of proportion and can't respond as an adult.
Uh....You seem to have misread my comment. I was agreeing with you. IKR=I know, right?
Old 04-03-19, 08:22 AM
alan s 

If you are looking for an excuse to ride the C&O this weekend, the DC end is in full bloom. From my morning commute.

Old 04-03-19, 10:09 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by alan s
If you are looking for an excuse to ride the C&O this weekend, the DC end is in full bloom. From my morning commute.

Saw your other post regarding commute. You ride on the muddy section too? How do you deal with that once at work? Do you have showers? My bike and I were covered in mud when I arrived in DC.

How do you deal with bike maintenance? Do you clean it every night when you get home?
Old 04-03-19, 10:09 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uh....You seem to have misread my comment. I was agreeing with you. IKR=I know, right?
Sorry misunderstood. Thought you were piling on .
Old 04-03-19, 10:44 AM
alan s 

Saw your other post regarding commute. You ride on the muddy section too? How do you deal with that once at work? Do you have showers? My bike and I were covered in mud when I arrived in DC.

How do you deal with bike maintenance? Do you clean it every night when you get home?
I usually avoid the towpath when wet. There are alternate routes paralleling the towpath that are paved, and since I drive part way to work, I can pick my start point depending on the conditions. I do clean my drivetrain often, and it probably wears out faster than normal. If the conditions are bad and the bike is really dirty, a quick rinse with the hose is in order. Fenders help tremendously, and there is a shower at work.