Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Advice and help with trike build

Old 02-28-18, 12:10 PM
trumpetdude

Bikes: 1972 Huffy trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice and help with trike build

New to the forum. I apologize in advance if this post becomes annoyingly long as I am very detailed oriented so I tend to give enough information at hand to eliminate the need to answer questions in the future.
Im 61 years old and live in the wonderful city of Charleston , SC. 3 years ago I had a stroke that left me paralyzed right down the middle on the left side. I was unable to walk , talk, drive, you get the picture. Through family support, countless hours of physical and occupational therapy, and stubbornness, I have overcome or found work around's to enable independent living, for example I am now able to walk 2 miles a day, maintain my lawn and perform minor repairs and service to my cars and lawn equipment.
I am getting bored with my daily walk so I'm thinking that biking is my avenue for physical improvement and adventure to escape the boredom of the gym. At times I struggle with balance so 2 wheels is not a viable option.
Moving on, I am no stranger to turning a wrench, have basic welding skills and have knowledge and understanding of how electricity flows and basic electronics. My left hand still has a short circuit to the brain, but part of my self prescribed rehab is setting in my easy chair with a board with holes drilled in it from 3/4" down to #8 bolt. I have a bag of bolts nuts washers and lock washers of the size to Fit each hole. I set for hours using my left hand to fasten a nut , bolt and washer in each hole. Slow going but its helping.
I recently acquired a 1974, Huffy trike to use as a foundation for my project. It is a rust bucket, needs tires all the way around and brake cables. It is equipped with a Strumey Archer TCWIII 3 speed coaster brake hub and twist grip which surprisingly works. My plan is to convert it to a 750w mid-drive, off road e-trike. Low speed, High torque using a Bafang bbs02 Motor kit. I understand turning at speed on a trike can lead to the unwanted version of excitement.
Stay with me I'm getting close to the questions but let me talk my way through it first.
It looks to me that this was not a dedicated trike but a bike to trike conversion. If I disconnect the rear two wheel frame and replaced it with the right rear wheel and drive hub it would be a bike. My first thought is to buy a 24" mongoose mountain bike with suspension, take off the rear tire and bolt the trike unit up. That would solve about 80% of the issues in less than 5 minuets. Rusted frame, handle bars, bad front tire, better front brakes, bearings and cables, It would also give me the appropriate bottom bracket for the mid drive Motor conversion. Best of all for $50.. or less and not dealing with laborious rust removal and paint! Anyone have any reason it would not work or advice against it?
2nd thought. I need to ditch the coaster brake but keep gears. Priority is safety First. It would be nice to be able to use the rear disk brake, gear set, freewheel , rim and tire from the mountain bike. I don"t think it will work. I don't think there is enough room for the derailleur to function properly. There is only 4.5" between the center of the drive gear to the center of the geared hub. I know nothing about derailleur or the minimum clearances and chain length needed for operation. Can someone advise? Simple solution would be to find a geared hub with free wheel as a doner but I have not found an Appropriate doner bike with the suspension , bottom bracket, brakes, geared hub I'm looking for. Any suggestions?.
Most modern trikes have the gear set and derailleur mounted in the conventional location of a 2 wheel. That won't work with mine. My huffy has a solid axle 3" behind the bike tail end with a center gear inline with the chaining . The solid axle runs from center of frame to the left side with a second gear placed inline with the geared hub on the left rear wheel. The right wheel freewheels..
Any suggestions, comments, wisecracks will be appreciated. Huffy haters take a long swim in shark infested waters but please wait for the next major hurricane.
Regards
Old 03-11-18, 01:01 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The combination of "Strumey Archer TCWIII 3 speed coaster brake hub" and "Low speed, High torque ... motor" would give me pause before buying all of the parts for your conversion. I'm not familiar with attempts to adapt heavy adult trikes with an e-assist but have read quite a few posts about adapting them to recumbent trikes. It's not always successful, especially when using a internal hubs. It might be hard to find out if a 1974 3-speed hub will continue to work when subjected to the extra torque from the Bagang motor. You might find someone with lots of knowledge who can guide you here: https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/ or here BentRider Online Forums - Powered by vBulletin /forumdisplay.php?f=53 It's the Bentrider section on power assist.
Old 05-02-18, 09:45 PM
Ryan Olivas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know much about this too so I am here to catch information about it. Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-18, 08:16 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no help- I bought a new trike recently and love it.. I can't do a 2 wheeler due to vertigo/meniere's disease..
Old 05-14-18, 10:41 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look at the free plans for the xyz oneseater trike. I built one and love it. For some time I used two hubs (one hub mid mounted with two sprockets) and therefor two chains. I now converted to a Nuvinci and one long chain.

This film is somebody riding one in Copenhagen:
Old 05-14-18, 10:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
One, older guy, (older than me?... maybe).. had grab rails over the front wheels of his tadpole low profile trike

to get in and out of it,

and a clip to carry his cane to steady his walking..
Old 05-14-18, 06:01 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
One, older guy, (older than me?... maybe).. had grab rails over the front wheels of his tadpole low profile trike

to get in and out of it,

and a clip to carry his cane to steady his walking..
I bet that was becouse it was a low profile trike.On the oneseater you sit as high as you would on a dining room chair.
Old 05-15-18, 07:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Idk, once in it he may want to go fast, and low c of g helps..

As I watch the F1 races on TV, Lying in bed because it comes on in the early am
on my back, with my head propped up on a pillow, or 2

i imagine those guys in the race cars are in just about the same posture. going @ 200+kmph, . at knee height..