Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 05:34 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
My favorite new bike arrived on Thursday. 2019 Trek FX6 Sport. Took her home to de-sticker, de-reflector, and remove that annoying spoke disc. I took her out for a nice 30 mile test ride yesterday. Very happy with the bike. So light, quick, and the components are all perfect. I had my LBS add a Bontrager 300 computer and the DuoTrack S unit when they built it up. Having owned some high end road and mountain bikes in the past, this new FX is the perfect machine for what I ride now; long rides on bike paths...

Old 11-09-18, 08:54 AM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
This is my new to me garage sale find! I made a couple upgrades and added some accessories to bring it into service. I am waiting on a rack to arrive and will be setting that up shortly. So far I am really digging this bike for road rides and lots of gravel!

Old 11-12-18, 09:34 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
My favorite new bike arrived on Thursday. 2019 Trek FX6 Sport. Took her home to de-sticker, de-reflector, and remove that annoying spoke disc. I took her out for a nice 30 mile test ride yesterday. Very happy with the bike. So light, quick, and the components are all perfect. I had my LBS add a Bontrager 300 computer and the DuoTrack S unit when they built it up. Having owned some high end road and mountain bikes in the past, this new FX is the perfect machine for what I ride now; long rides on bike paths...

Congrats on your FX S6! The FX S5/S6 is my dream hybrid bike. Disc brakes, 32c tires and rear iso-speed are things I would really like. Someday in the future, I will trade in my flatbar Madone for one. Hopefully by then, they get the front iso-speed on it too.
Old 11-18-18, 01:20 AM
Cheeky DeVille

Bikes: Raleigh Burner MKII

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Come Wednesday, I may be a FXII owner... Pros? Cons?

Will be getting back on a bike after many many moons, I will have to ride a while before i get comfortable again. I like the Trek FXII Disc. 15"/S frame.
https://www.trekbikes.com/in/en_IN/b...-disc/p/23350/

I'm 5'2"/55YO and can reach the handlebars but with no bend to my arms... I kinda anticipate neck and tennis elbow issues... The salesman (owner) suggested I try the 90mm for a while and then switch if i need it...

Would it be premature to switch to a 50mm stem at the onset and just be comfortable right off the bat?
Also my standover is about an inch or so... is that okay? Didn't feel too deterred by that though.
Old 11-18-18, 06:46 PM
Smokeage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So after some life hiccups I finally got my bike the day before yesterday! What color should I paint it though?!?

Also, I'm really disappointed in the Gas Tank by Revelate. Not only was it super expensive compared to other bags but it doesn't sit level for more than a couple miles regardless of how tight the straps are, the zippers are impossible to open while riding, AND the main strap is insanely long with the tiniest patch of loop velcro for it to attach to so I'm going to have to cut the strap in half or add more velcro if I want to keep using it. Any suggestions on a good frame bag that will actually sit upright and be easier to open? I'm half tempted to take this back to the LBS and exchange because it's so disappointing to ride with on my amazing new bike.
Old 11-21-18, 11:02 PM
PlanetCC

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Women's 2019

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm cross posting here to hope that I get more input on a tray type hitch rack. I just picked up my FX Sport 4 for women and I would like to get a hitch rack that I can use on both my Chevy Trailblazer, and my Crossover. Both have a 2" hitch. While I am strong, I'm not thrilled with the idea of hooking up and removing a 51 pound hitch on a regular basis. I'm thinking strongly towards the Saris, and now I'm thinking I only need to haul 1 bike, and my friends are on their own LOL. What say you?
  • 25lbs (abt $250) Hollywood Racks HR1000 Sport Rider 2-Bike
  • 51lbs (abt $325) Hollywood Racks HR1450Z Sports Rider SE2 (tilt down and add'l stabilization, cable locks)
  • 27lbs (abt $340) Saris Freedom EX 2 (integrated locks)
  • 35lbs (abt $280) Thule Double Track Pro (does not tilt down with bikes on for access, integrated locks)
  • 47lbs (abt $230) Swagman Chinook S64683 (Integrated locks, tilt away, better clearance)

Last edited by PlanetCC; 11-22-18 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-22-18, 10:10 PM
csrpenfab

Originally Posted by Smokeage
So after some life hiccups I finally got my bike the day before yesterday! What color should I paint it though?!?

Also, I'm really disappointed in the Gas Tank by Revelate. Not only was it super expensive compared to other bags but it doesn't sit level for more than a couple miles regardless of how tight the straps are, the zippers are impossible to open while riding, AND the main strap is insanely long with the tiniest patch of loop velcro for it to attach to so I'm going to have to cut the strap in half or add more velcro if I want to keep using it. Any suggestions on a good frame bag that will actually sit upright and be easier to open? I'm half tempted to take this back to the LBS and exchange because it's so disappointing to ride with on my amazing new bike.
i just added the Revelate Mag tank top tube bag and I love it. The Trek FXS6 top tube is flat on top and with the bags rubber cushion it stays put. The mag closure is great for one hand access while riding. See if you can exchange yours for a mag.
Old 11-22-18, 10:12 PM
PlanetCC

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Women's 2019

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may be able to post a picture of the new FX Sport 4 Women's. I finally took it out for a spin today (outside the test drive) to get the feel of it. What a pleasure! I have so many questions (currently limited to only 5 posts in 24 hour period LOL). Still figuring out the hitch rack purchase (above) and where to store it in the garage (hang or just park it) and probably a thousand other questions parked out to 5 in one day LOL. I've registered it with the National Bike Registry too.

Old 11-23-18, 11:50 PM
Cheeky DeVille

Bikes: Raleigh Burner MKII

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got it ...I got it...te re re re re ...

My new Trek FX2 Disc (15") came in last night...I went out this morning with Serfaia of the Local Cycling Club...I amazed myself by actually doing 3 rounds of 4.5kms each right off the block!
The shop put on the fenders and I got those new wing-a-thingy grips. Next week I should get the rear rack and the bag for the handlebar in which I can carry my camera... and some 'snakes' (mispronunced snacks) for the longer rides.
Likes For Cheeky DeVille:
Old 11-25-18, 06:45 PM
mgvh

Bikes: 2005 Trek Navigator 100, 2016 Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanetCC
I'm cross posting here to hope that I get more input on a tray type hitch rack. I just picked up my FX Sport 4 for women and I would like to get a hitch rack that I can use on both my Chevy Trailblazer, and my Crossover. Both have a 2" hitch. While I am strong, I'm not thrilled with the idea of hooking up and removing a 51 pound hitch on a regular basis. I'm thinking strongly towards the Saris, and now I'm thinking I only need to haul 1 bike, and my friends are on their own LOL. What say you?
  • 25lbs (abt $250) Hollywood Racks HR1000 Sport Rider 2-Bike
  • 51lbs (abt $325) Hollywood Racks HR1450Z Sports Rider SE2 (tilt down and add'l stabilization, cable locks)
  • 27lbs (abt $340) Saris Freedom EX 2 (integrated locks)
  • 35lbs (abt $280) Thule Double Track Pro (does not tilt down with bikes on for access, integrated locks)
  • 47lbs (abt $230) Swagman Chinook S64683 (Integrated locks, tilt away, better clearance)
I got this Swagman XC Cross Country for 2 bikes and it has been very solid. Weighs 32 lbs and only $100 through Amazon. No issues with wobbling at all. It doesn't tilt down, and you would have to pay more to get cable locks, but I've been very satisfied.
Old 11-26-18, 06:36 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
I have the same Swagman hitch rack and I think it's a good value. It's definitely not as sturdy as a $400 rack from Yakima or Thule, but...it's a $100 rack. I would recommend a more expensive rack if you intend to buy a rack and more or less leave it installed all the time and if you carry bikes often. The Swagman works for occasional use. The Swagman's largest downfall is the top tube hooks to retain the bikes. There are two issues with this. First, you risk paint damage/wear. I keep small microfiber towels in my cycling kit just for this purpose. The other issue is bikes that have sloping top tubes. A hook over the top tube will keep the bike secure in one direction, but not as secure in the other direction. For this, a bungee cord or velcro strap around the rear wheel, to keep it seated firmly in its rack tray, helps a lot.

I don't transport bikes very often on a hitch (most of our riding is local), and the Swagman is sturdy enough for the small amount of transporting that we do (and I'd buy it again for my needs). If I needed to hitch my bikes up whenever I wanted to ride them, then I'd probably buy a different rack, and probably one with wheel hooks instead of the top tube hook.
Old 11-26-18, 09:42 AM
csrpenfab

Finally got the needed adapters to add the Bontrager Race Lite Ergo bar ends on the ISO Zone bars on my Trek FSX6. These are just wanted I needed to get some extra hand positions on rides. Very happy with the end result. I didn't want bulky bar ends, and these still allow the use of the ISO Zone gel pad grips/bars.

Old 01-06-19, 02:46 PM
mavericg

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I very seen Trek FX 2 and 3 here in NZ but haven't tested it due to no size availability at the time. I've only tested the Giant Roam Disc 2. I'm wondering how does this compares with it? Anyone who had that dilemma before who were stuck between these 2 models but opted to get the Trek instead?
Old 02-27-19, 11:36 AM
Davidbell

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basketcase fx

I just bought a basketcase fx 7.3. It looks like an older model. I’m new to biking but pretty mechanical so I thought I could fix her up. But there’s so many specs I’m unfamiliar with. Looking for some help. My first goal is to order some new wheels, the guy had trashed the rims so I figured just a whole new wheel set. What size or brand should I be looking for in the 1-200 dollar range? New cassette too? I’m in over my head a bit.
Old 03-09-19, 03:31 PM
dingster1

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the game

Hello folks! Been a while but I just picked up a new FX1 today for my rural rides through the Va. countryside.
Old 03-10-19, 08:48 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidbell
I just bought a basketcase fx 7.3. It looks like an older model. I’m new to biking but pretty mechanical so I thought I could fix her up. But there’s so many specs I’m unfamiliar with. Looking for some help. My first goal is to order some new wheels, the guy had trashed the rims so I figured just a whole new wheel set. What size or brand should I be looking for in the 1-200 dollar range? New cassette too? I’m in over my head a bit.

Wheel size is 700c. Tires were probably 700c x 32mm which might be a good place to start. Probably 9 speed cassette both Shimano and Sram compatible is common, but count cogs to be sure 9 speed, count the teeth on the small cog and large to find gear range and probably get the same. Most hubs will take 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed and have 135mm axle spacing. Width of rim limits tire size but is not always stated with less expensive rims. The rims below are considered road which probably take down to a 23mm tire with 32 or 35 probably about max, worth an inquiry. Don't know your budget but this is about as cheap as they get:
https://www.rei.com/product/123226/s...-r501-wheelset. They have cassette's for around $35 and I'd get a new 9 speed chain to go with it.
Wheels can cost more than a car but a little extra spent on decent tires makes a more noticeable difference for the $. Depends where you're going with the bike,
Others out there, Bikes Direct has a set with 23mm tires for $100, that's awfully skinny but on a budget works. Certainly others out there search for 700c wheel set. Could be Bontrager (Trek parts) take off's on ebay or other brands but with a quick look I saw only $$$.
Mavic Open Sport Shimano Claris Wheel Set More to look at, these guys list tire size range.
https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...?search=wheels
Serial number info:https://www.vintage-trek.com/SerialNumbers.htm

Last edited by sail; 03-10-19 at 12:12 PM. Reason: sr#info
Likes For sail:
Old 03-15-19, 08:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by dingster1
Hello folks! Been a while but I just picked up a new FX1 today for my rural rides through the Va. countryside.
congrats! looking forward to seeing it, in those environs!
Old 03-15-19, 08:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

you might try a cpl local bike shops. might be able to save some significant $$ I once bought a new 32 spoke wheel for $15!
Old 03-15-19, 11:39 AM
csrpenfab

After putting a bit over 2k miles on my Trek FXS6 over the past 4 months, I came to the realization that the stock Bontrager "Montrose" saddle is a PITA after about 20 miles. Added a new Brooks Cambium All Weather c17 "Carved" saddle yesterday. Will be going out on a 30 miler today to see if it's really as comfy as everyone says. I like the look, and it fits in well with the bike.

Old 03-17-19, 06:54 PM
cb5107

Bikes: Trek FXS5 and Rumblefish 2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can probably figure out the specific year of your bike by checking through the TREK archives. Each year typically has a different color scheme and sticker arrangement so you can figure it out by comparing the photos.
For wheels, you need wheels for your model. These are typically not road bike wheels with a 130mm rear hub spacing. Typically, the FX models had 135mm rear hubs. Look for those. I ran several TREK FX models with road wheels and had to use 2 - 2.5mm thick washers for spacing on each side between the hub and the frame. This is likely frowned upon but I did it for years.

Take it apart, check any rotating parts for bearings that are worn out or rough. Everything should rotate smoothly. Crank, handle bar head set. SInce you are getting new wheels, the bearings there will be fine. New chain and cassette is a great idea.
Likes For cb5107:
Old 03-17-19, 07:15 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
I had to repossess my 2016 FX 7.4 this weekend! I had given it to my son as his girlfriend was trying to get him back on a bike. He'd had it for over 6 months and never rode it, so I bought him another bike off CL and traded it to him for my FX!

Old 03-27-19, 02:42 PM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm thinking about adding bar end grips for more hand positions. But I'll lose my mirror as a result, which stinks when commuting on busy roads. I guess I could get a helmet mounted mirror, though. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna upgrade my tires, brakes, and saddle over the weekend, at any rate, and I think I'm about due to pull the fenders off for the season. I guess I just wanna go faster and be more comfortable! I'm thinking Brooks B-17 saddle, KoolStop cartridge brakes, and maybe Conti GP4000S II tires in 700x28 (down from current factory Bontrager stuff in 700x32). Thoughts?
Old 03-27-19, 02:55 PM
rumrunn6

fyi ~I like my B17, 25mm tires & glasses mounted mirror
Old 03-27-19, 03:04 PM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fyi ~I like my B17, 25mm tires & glasses mounted mirror
I wonder if 25mm will fit on my wheels. I don't know my interior rim width, but it would have to be 15 or 17mm to fit 25mm tires while also accommodating 32mm tires. I'll have to google to see if I can figure out the wheel width.

EDIT: I emailed Trek, the rims are 17mm internally. So 25mm will fit if I'm so inclined!

Last edited by OhLylo; 03-27-19 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 06:11 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by decotriumph
I had to repossess my 2016 FX 7.4 this weekend! I had given it to my son as his girlfriend was trying to get him back on a bike. He'd had it for over 6 months and never rode it, so I bought him another bike off CL and traded it to him for my FX!
That is a beautiful looking bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.