Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Low Vision Tandem & Touring

Old 01-07-18, 04:24 PM
BLoK

Bikes: 1995 Burley Rock n' Roll tandem; '95 Trek 520; '91 Nishiki Saga; 2014 Soma San Marco; 2006 Trek Madone 5.2; Bickerton and Raleigh Twenty folding bikes; and many others.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low Vision Tandem & Touring

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="4"]I am a new member to this site. First was to ask a bicycle part technical question but then saw this category. I am an experienced bicycle tourist but due to low vision I've been staying to familiar routes,
mostly overnights. I have done longer multi-day rides including to New Orleans in 2012 from my home in Cottage Grove Minnesota, but with company. That's the issue: my wife won't let me ride any solo long rides. I believe I'd be ok but she said she'd call the cops and report me missing (and vulnerable) if I just took off on the Adventure Cycling Lewis and Clark Trail.....sigh. Anyone out there who would like an experienced companion? I do ok, 10+mph average and mileage up to 60 or 70 per day.
Old 03-27-18, 09:36 PM
donglebutter

Bikes: Salsa Fargo GX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in Oshkosh Wis, have RP, bery narrow field of visoin. Love cycling and i am thinking of a doing a tour. not sure yet how far.
Old 04-04-18, 03:29 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Both of you need to contact tandem clubs in your area to see what Captains might be available. My wife would take a dim view of me heading out with a blind stoker for a day even if it was their tandem. A multi-day tour? Absolutely not. Assuming you both are male and in long term relationships the way forward I would think would be to somehow interest your S.O.'s in being captains. Women are often intimidated by the upper body strength needed to captain a tandem with an adult stoker. Might I suggest recumbent trikes.
Old 04-15-18, 10:51 PM
Ryan Olivas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLoK
[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="4"]I am a new member to this site. First was to ask a bicycle part technical question but then saw this category. I am an experienced bicycle tourist but due to low vision I've been staying to familiar routes,
mostly overnights. I have done longer multi-day rides including to New Orleans in 2012 from my home in Cottage Grove Minnesota, but with company. That's the issue: my wife won't let me ride any solo long rides. I believe I'd be ok but she said she'd call the cops and report me missing (and vulnerable) if I just took off on the Adventure Cycling Lewis and Clark Trail.....sigh. Anyone out there who would like an experienced companion? I do ok, 10+mph average and mileage up to 60 or 70 per day.
bikepacking is truly interesting but it can be really burden to our family worrying about our travel. that's why I always give them updates about my travel.
Old 05-02-18, 02:19 AM
donglebutter

Bikes: Salsa Fargo GX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will be fine, just ride smart. stay in low traffic no traffic areas, and be careful. I ride to work every day. I am aware of my limits. Do not let people tell you not to do something you love.
Old 05-02-18, 09:41 PM
Ryan Olivas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just be vigilant during your travel. Concerning about your wife, it would be better to let her use a real time gps tracking device to give her updates of your ride.

Last edited by Ryan Olivas; 05-02-18 at 09:42 PM. Reason: some unecessary texts were included