Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Master Link On The Road Without Tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Master Link On The Road Without Tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 11:20 AM
MrRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Ah you live in Australia, in the US the M19 is around $20.

Just looking at the Fix-It site the basic tool plus chain breaker is $49. Is it cheaper in Australia? Keep in mind it's not directly comparable as the Fix-It doesn't include the same tools as the M19 and is missing some drivers and the spoke wrenches.

Anyway, good luck with your choice.
I went to the fix it kit link Cycclocommute provided, and that fix it kit was 20 something dollars, not a relatively expensive purchase compared to good multi-tools.
Old 05-30-18, 12:47 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Beside not knowing why someone would remove a master link beside to clean or replace a chain, which is done usually at home, how do one replace a broken link by a master link without a chain breaker since master link requires both ends to be inner links anyway...
Yes, if a side plate of the chain cracks, or a pin comes loose from a plate, I wonder if it's even possible to pry the damaged link plates off the chain. 10 and 11 speed chains have the pin ends mushroomed like a rivet. I think it would be extremely difficult to remove the damaged link. Perhaps a 3mm hex wrench used as a lever to bend them apart?

I've only even heard of a broken chain once in the last 5 or 7 years. They seem pretty reliable.

Using a tiny chain tool on 11 speed chains
Do those miniature chain tools on a bike multi-tool work on modern chains? I've never tried one.

I have a small Park CT-5 tool. It worked okay on 10 speed chains. But it's very difficult to push out an 11-speed pin. I had to hold the loop handle with an adjustable wrench to get more leverage.

So I got the larger, sturdy CT-3.2 tool. This is much easier to use, at home.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-30-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 01:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You get 'upset' ends, (you call mushroomed, its more subtle that that),
of the chain pins out
by stretching the hole in the outer link plate.. that is pretty much why
you only shorten a modern derailleur chain..
Old 05-30-18, 01:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I tried breaking a few chain segments with a little Fabric 16 multi-tool just now, for the sake of science. The Fabric 16 chain tool is pretty small.

Ultegra 11 speed was cake. The mushroom pin popped right out. Just about any reasonable multi-tool should suffice for this chain.

A KMC 1/8" track chain didn't even flinch. I thought the little tool was going to break, Had to give up because my fingers hurt.

The CT-3.2 is a good shop tool but I got one with a bent tip from the factory.

-Tim-
Old 05-30-18, 01:55 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I use a topeak hexus II that has a chain tool and levers, keeps everything in a compact config in my jersey pocket for saddle bag
Old 05-30-18, 03:04 PM
MrRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it not possible to extract all the pins out of a masterlink chain such as 11-speed KMC by using a chain breaker, like you can with a shimano chain? If so, does that mean you can't re-lengthen a masterlink chain, except by using in a second masterlink?
Old 05-30-18, 03:29 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
I had a new Shimano 9-speed chain that kept "catching air" as it moved up to connect the cogs, kind of like a chain will do when it's dirty and the links are funky. I cleaned and lubed the chain, to no avail. Then I ditched the master link, and re-attached the chain with the standard chain Park tool (blue plastic on the handle), taking care that the pin was nice and flush. Problem solved!

Needless to say, I remain suspicious of master links, although I'm not writing them off quite yet.
if you didn't use a shimano specific pin that is a ticking time bomb
Old 05-30-18, 06:15 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You can remove by hand, but it tends to be messy because you pretty much have to grab a full handful of chain with each hand. Thumb & forefinger on each side of the link. You need a bit of side to side motion as you try to jam it together to release.
Practice on a NEW, CLEAN chain to get your technique established. They'll come apart slightly harder with the grit & grease involved.
Yes, technique is the key. I have only messed with KMC 9sp chains, though, but once you have practiced a bit it becomes reliably possible to remove the link.