Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trying to make the plunge into waxing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Trying to make the plunge into waxing

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 03:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
Apparently, controversial, as judged by you and "Thomas Urgento" (in the comments) here

I don't have a dog in the fight, but similar idea as doing an ethanol wash, which apparently is another point of controversy.

Never change, BF.
If someone suggests doing something, there should be a reason. There is no reason to quickly cool the chain. The wax will cool very quickly left as is. The wax won’t run off and starve the chain of lubricant. Speeding up the cooling with water does nothing and introduces water into the system.

People come up with all kinds of elaborate chain cleaning systems that have a lot of unnecessary steps. This guy’s ideas are on the further end of the goofy scale.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-07-18, 03:49 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
The finest scientific minds of our age gather on the internet to solve the problems of bicycle maintenance.

/s
For someone without a dog in a fight, you sure are barking a whole lot.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-07-18, 04:34 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
After reading many replies, I have a few thoughts. I can't imagine any lube lasting for 300 or 600 miles. I relube every 100 miles or 2-3 rides. Chains are not sealed from the intrusion of dirt, so infrequent maintenance is likely to lead to shorter chain life. I'd be disappointed if my campy chain didn't last for 5-6000 miles. Maybe all the other brands have much shorter lives. And then there's someone claiming 16,000 miles or more - what baloney. A well lubed campy chain may show 1/4 of the allowable .5% elongation after 6000 miles, but it will be totally worn out due to excessive roller wear and side clearance. If only one chain was used on the cassette, it will skip if you put on a new chain, despite the low elongation. I know, I've done it. I believed the experts who claimed that the sprockets wouId be fine, as long as the chain elongation was less tha.5%. Not true. If 3 chains are used in a regular rotation, the cassette will last the life of all three chains, even if the elongation reaches 1%.
Old 11-08-18, 03:58 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
After reading many replies, I have a few thoughts. I can't imagine any lube lasting for 300 or 600 miles. I relube every 100 miles or 2-3 rides. Chains are not sealed from the intrusion of dirt, so infrequent maintenance is likely to lead to shorter chain life. I'd be disappointed if my campy chain didn't last for 5-6000 miles. Maybe all the other brands have much shorter lives. And then there's someone claiming 16,000 miles or more - what baloney. A well lubed campy chain may show 1/4 of the allowable .5% elongation after 6000 miles, but it will be totally worn out due to excessive roller wear and side clearance. If only one chain was used on the cassette, it will skip if you put on a new chain, despite the low elongation. I know, I've done it. I believed the experts who claimed that the sprockets wouId be fine, as long as the chain elongation was less tha.5%. Not true. If 3 chains are used in a regular rotation, the cassette will last the life of all three chains, even if the elongation reaches 1%.
Aint baloney tinker bell I clean my chain every 800 miles in and ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green and lube it with a chainsaw bar oil, mineral spirit mix. A 7sp KMC chai lasted 20,681.5 miles on the fendered touring bike and an 8sp, KMC chain (same) lasted 17,416.8 miles on my road bike. The big difference was the ultrasonic cleaner. It removes the metal wear particles from the inside of the links.
Old 11-08-18, 04:08 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
A flatlander putting out 50 watts can get 20,000 miles on a chain easy.
Old 11-08-18, 04:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
...yeah, I was gonna say. In my case, getting past the 3,000 mile mark on a chain is almost cause for celebration. No cleaning/lubricating process known to man is going to get me 10,000+ miles out of a chain. Hell, I'm lucky to get 10,000 miles out of a wheel. I only got 19,000 out of my first frame before I broke it.
Old 11-08-18, 10:48 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by drisotope
...yeah, i was gonna say. In my case, getting past the 3,000 mile mark on a chain is almost cause for celebration. No cleaning/lubricating process known to man is going to get me 10,000+ miles out of a chain. Hell, i'm lucky to get 10,000 miles out of a wheel. I only got 19,000 out of my first frame before i broke it.

lol
Old 11-09-18, 07:05 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I replace my chain every few months. I prefer the factory lube over everything else and consider chains a cheap wear item that I don't mind replacing.
Old 11-09-18, 09:09 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Aint baloney tinker bell I clean my chain every 800 miles in and ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green and lube it with a chainsaw bar oil, mineral spirit mix. A 7sp KMC chai lasted 20,681.5 miles on the fendered touring bike and an 8sp, KMC chain (same) lasted 17,416.8 miles on my road bike. The big difference was the ultrasonic cleaner. It removes the metal wear particles from the inside of the links.
Like I said, it won't happen on a modern 10-11 speed bike. You're riding equipment that's over 20 years behind the times - an apples to oranges comparison.

I started using the mineral spirits and oil mix about 15 years ago. It produces a decent chain life, but nothing near your claims, even with far more frequent cleaning and relubing.
Old 11-09-18, 07:28 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
My two cents, as I wax the chain on my folder(needs to be super clean, as I bring it into my work at a hospital): get a wax melter- the type used for leg waxing. Super cheap from amazon. Oh and the cleaning isn’t as important, I’ve found; the wax cleans the chain quite well when it gets dipped. Chain comes out clean to the touch when dry. Good luck! BTW I currently use WL for my performance bikes, and chain-L for the salt/slush winter commuter.