Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 08:08 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Past Saturday we had very nice weather - sunshine, just below freezing and light breeze, so I went on a 44 km ride to the seaside and back.

Frozen lake Ķīšezers

Crossing the channel near port of Rīga

Daugava river mouth. I wanted to go to the lighthouse, but as the waves were splashing across the pier I decided not to.

Vecāķi beach. Tailwind and smooth frozen sand made the ride along the beach very enjoyable.

Port of Rīga
Wow!
Old 01-21-19, 09:13 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Well, I don't have a fat bike and even though I have some nice trail tires, I didn't want to test them in this much snow on the C&O canal. Being on furlough, I have had time for some walks/hikes instead. These are pictures on the canal trail near Shepherdstown WV and Brunswick MD.

Old 01-21-19, 09:26 AM
travbikeman

OH, and I know this is the thread on where the hybrid's take us, not where the hiker goes. But this is where my Crosstrail is mostly ridden trail wise. Was not a good time to ride it since parts of the C&O are a dead drop into the Potomac on the edges. Hiking and cross country skiing were the best options, which I did see a few of those on the days I took these pictures this past week.
Old 01-21-19, 10:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Beautiful, Trav!
Old 01-21-19, 10:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
tempting tho huh? pretty!
Old 01-24-19, 11:19 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Out to Bell Creek and around my mini-leg-burn loop. En route home I decided to see what the old closed section of Fawn Park was like ...

Now I have two band-aids and a piece of blue painters tape on my left elbow. And I had to order replacement Deore XT cable brake lever (L) and a spare for the parts bin ...

One 4 ft drop and hidden rock in the winter grass and I'm fixing stuff ...
Old 01-26-19, 08:44 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Beautiful, Trav!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
tempting tho huh? pretty!
Actually it was tempting. I've ridden in snow before, but not as deep as what is showing in these pictures. It is fun, and a great workout!
Old 01-26-19, 05:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Today my Liv Rove took me onto the Humboldt Bay Trail to do some weeding with the Volunteer Trail Stewards. Sounds easy, but there is NOTHING easy about Himalaya blackberries and pampas grass growing in the rocks.

I may have snuck in a trail or two on the way back. Thought I'd take a real ride later, but my aging body is saying something quite different. Ow.
Old 02-08-19, 01:50 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
To the bank, the pawn shop, the tool store, a couple of yard sales. . . . .
Old 02-08-19, 10:57 PM
teomoto

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4, 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uphill! I have a circuit which I do 3 times as a workout. It SUCKS, especially with today's wind chill...
Old 02-09-19, 03:00 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Out to Bell Creek and around my mini-leg-burn loop. En route home I decided to see what the old closed section of Fawn Park was like ...

Now I have two band-aids and a piece of blue painters tape on my left elbow. And I had to order replacement Deore XT cable brake lever (L) and a spare for the parts bin ...

One 4 ft drop and hidden rock in the winter grass and I'm fixing stuff ...
ouch!

Heal and wrench well my fellow rider.
Old 02-10-19, 05:25 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Took the hybrid for a spin today. Had a real nice day for riding. Mild temps, over cast most of the day and a slight breeze. I didn't over do things just enjoyed the ride.
I used the Zeopoxa app but the time doesn't stop when I stop riding, quite a lot of stopping. Hopefully it accurate because it's free to use

Old 02-11-19, 11:56 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Yesterday the bike and I went exploring, to a short back road I found on Google maps. Turns out, it's nearly vertical (okay, not really, but it felt like it) so I hiked that half mile, uphill, in the snow! We'd gotten an inch of snow the night before down in the lowlands, and two or three in the hills, a rarity for us, so there was melting snow everywhere. It's a beautiful ride to the top of the ridge, with woods and snow and slush, and and on the ridge lots of "PRIVATE ROAD" and "NO TRESPASSING" signs. Spoilsports. At least there were horses out. It was around 46F, bracing but not shivery as long as I kept moving, and the air was clear and crisp. The ride back was interesting; I rode the brakes hard all the way down the rough wet pavement, bits of trees, and slush to the bottom, my philosophy being I'd rather fall off the bike at 18 mph than 30. And, the main reason I love my hybrid, we took the muddy little trail in the Aldergrove Marsh just because.

It started out sunny, but clouded up as I rode; the forecast had called for a 10% chance of showers, so I figured I would be okay, and the rest of the week/month will be rainy, so I had to take the one clear day. On the way home I stopped at a nursery, and as soon as I brought the bike in the clouds opened up, for about a minute. The rest of the ride was pleasant and uneventful, and I'm so glad I went out.

Google maps has also shown me Rocky Creek Rd., which comes very close to Greenwood Heights Dr. and I suspect that mountain bikers may have made an unofficial trail connecting the two. It'll be a steep adventure, regardless.
Old 02-12-19, 07:24 AM
Kai Kai

Bikes: Cannondale BAD BOY 1 (2018)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going to Taipei 101 (reflective tubes on my tubes , it is reflecting due to cameral flash)

Had Korean Barbecue at Taipei 101's food court (a little less than US$10)

Going home crossing a small lonely bridge

Stopped for pictures by another bridge.

Went back on the previous bridge...about 2km and I'm home!
Getting late and its getting lonely and cold.
Old 02-12-19, 08:24 PM
jbchybridrider 

Cool posts
Old 02-17-19, 04:39 AM
jbchybridrider 

Had a great ride today, was quite hot but not an issue all day. I don't feel my fitness is great atm but whenever I just go out riding with no expectations except to enjoy the day it turns into a great ride.

Old 02-24-19, 05:53 AM
jbchybridrider 

Had a nice ride today a bit shorter than recent rides. Was very hot but it didn't bother me at all.
I've tried a different app today. Map my Walk, changed the settings for cycling you can even select tire sizes and it's free Unless I'm reading the other app wrong this ones elevation is more accurate. The top of Mt. Lofty shows within 9 metres of actual which is good enough and shows total elevation gained, this is the info I want the most and pauses when I stop riding.

Old 02-24-19, 08:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Unless I'm reading the other app wrong this ones elevation is more accurate.
I know this is a biking forum, and not a GPS forum, but it sounds like your two apps are using different elevation algorithms. I recently found this with an app that I've come to prefer using: Backcountry Navigator (BCN). It's not a cycling app, but a hiking app (with a bunch of different base map options) but I found the elevation to be a few hundred feet off from what I know to be correct in my area (750 ft actual, ~620 ft indicated). Strava gives me the correct elevation, but BCN doesn't. I messed with it for a while and couldn't figure it out.

So I used an app called "GPS Test", which is a good app for testing your GPS sensor and your compass, and it will show your elevation. You can change an option in GPS Test to use the Geoid ("jee-oy-d") which is a closer approximation of your local terrain than "Mean Sea Level", which is sort of a baseline approximation that GPS defaults to. I found that, by using the Geoid, GPS Test told me my elevation to within a few feet. If I uncheck it, then I'm off by a few hundred, and it gives me a similar number to what BCN is telling me. There appears to be no option in BCN to use a different elevation algorithm. It's not too much of an issue for me (I like it for all the different base maps I can use, and don't really use it for telling me elevation), but I was happy to figure out the issue.

If you're curious, try downloading the GPS Test app and then go back to the top of Mt. Lofty. I reckon that toggling the Geoid on and off in GPS Test will give you both of your elevations -- the one from Map my Walk and the one from the other app you were using. Your other app may have an option deep in its settings somewhere that will allow you to change the elevation algorithm.
Old 02-25-19, 06:02 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
These are from a week ago.

While all main and also many smaller roads were already free of snow and ice, some smaller roads and paths were still covered in ice. Uneven and coated with a film of water (as temperature was well above freezing). I spun out some 4 times, but always managed to stay upright. Here I decided I'll better dismount and walk the ~150m to the cleared road.

Chilling with a beer at the lakeside
Old 02-25-19, 07:55 PM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I know this is a biking forum, and not a GPS forum, but it sounds like your two apps are using different elevation algorithms. I recently found this with an app that I've come to prefer using: Backcountry Navigator (BCN). It's not a cycling app, but a hiking app (with a bunch of different base map options) but I found the elevation to be a few hundred feet off from what I know to be correct in my area (750 ft actual, ~620 ft indicated). Strava gives me the correct elevation, but BCN doesn't. I messed with it for a while and couldn't figure it out.

So I used an app called "GPS Test", which is a good app for testing your GPS sensor and your compass, and it will show your elevation. You can change an option in GPS Test to use the Geoid ("jee-oy-d") which is a closer approximation of your local terrain than "Mean Sea Level", which is sort of a baseline approximation that GPS defaults to. I found that, by using the Geoid, GPS Test told me my elevation to within a few feet. If I uncheck it, then I'm off by a few hundred, and it gives me a similar number to what BCN is telling me. There appears to be no option in BCN to use a different elevation algorithm. It's not too much of an issue for me (I like it for all the different base maps I can use, and don't really use it for telling me elevation), but I was happy to figure out the issue.

If you're curious, try downloading the GPS Test app and then go back to the top of Mt. Lofty. I reckon that toggling the Geoid on and off in GPS Test will give you both of your elevations -- the one from Map my Walk and the one from the other app you were using. Your other app may have an option deep in its settings somewhere that will allow you to change the elevation algorithm.

That's interesting thanks for the info. I think the problem with the Zeopoxa app is it just isn't very good and doesn't show total elevation gained so I've deleted it.
I've downloaded Map my Ride now, it's in a family of other apps including Endomondo all highly rated apps but can't see anything to do with algorithms but being within 9 metres of actual isn't to bad. Stravas obviously the best but I'm not paying for it haha and may try other apps in the future, why not test them all out.
I tried a new app last night called "Relive" you may like checking out. It does amazing satellite video footage of what you've done, Tried it last night for my walk. Will hopefully get to show my ride next week.
Old 03-10-19, 06:11 AM
jbchybridrider 

Did 100km's on the hybrid today. Here's a link to my relive video

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10003904636
Old 03-10-19, 06:15 AM
jbchybridrider 

There's lots of photos under the Relive video too but here's a few more.

Old 03-24-19, 05:09 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Old 03-24-19, 09:15 PM
GTryder

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
First Hybrid Ride of 2019

Springtime in Saskatchewan, our snow is mostly gone from roads and paths, so brought out my GT hybrid...700c's sure roll easier than 26" Ice Spikers or 4"wide Fatbike tires. Had a detour around this sinkhole.
Old 03-25-19, 06:22 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
There's lots of photos under the Relive video too but here's a few more.

Wow you are pulling off some great rides, long distance and a very nice sustained average speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.