Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Why do I always feel crooked when riding? please help

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why do I always feel crooked when riding? please help

Old 10-29-09, 10:14 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Check to see if one of the rails on your saddle is bent.
Old 10-29-09, 11:45 AM
whitekimchee
yesterday you said tom.

Bikes: Bianchi Pista 07, Dodici Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are your wheels both trued?
I'm pretty sure it's not my wheels. I've had this problem with my old and current wheelset (which are not even a month old)

I bet it's your mismatched arm length. Try turning you stem every so slightly to the shorter arm.
as crazy as it sounds I did this and my steering still veers to the left. Yo beeftech if I see you around greenpoint, imma stop u and ask you to try it out.

I might be a little disproportional from weightlifting a lot but I'm pretty sure it's not my arm length. I have never had problems with shirt sleeves being longer or things not being level when picked up with both hands.

your saddle might be very slightly pointed off to one side so check that.
hell the f*uck no. I've become so OCD about my saddle being perfectly straight. I check that sh*t everyday. However, i should look underneath to see if one of the rails are bent.

Aside from this, I just realized something. I had a new headset put in recently and I remember the mechanic saying to come back if it felt like it was becoming loose. Is this a possible reason as to why I feel like I'm moving to the left?
Old 03-03-19, 12:44 AM
Willpace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a mind trick (I think...)

I know its an old thread but I get the sensation that Im leaning to the LEFT with 3 of my bikes. It could be in my head but I think its the grade of the road for water run off. Im in America and the bike seems to lean toward the upward angle of the road to ride straight. Took a few years of riding to notice it a lot. Its annoying (always makes me feel like my bike(s) is bent, twisted, warped, or untrue) and also no one else seems to notice the same sensation. I do lean right on roads that grade the opposite way (sloping down to the left) like on highways in the furthest left lane. I wonder if Id feel the same way on European roads but opposite lean sensation...
Old 03-03-19, 06:42 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Willpace
I get the sensation that Im leaning to the LEFT with 3 of my bikes.
1. Examine your non-leaning bikes
2. Adjust leaning bikes to match non-leaning bikes
3. Profit
Old 03-03-19, 06:46 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Willpace
I know its an old thread but I get the sensation that Im leaning to the LEFT with 3 of my bikes. It could be in my head but I think its the grade of the road for water run off. Im in America and the bike seems to lean toward the upward angle of the road to ride straight. Took a few years of riding to notice it a lot. Its annoying (always makes me feel like my bike(s) is bent, twisted, warped, or untrue) and also no one else seems to notice the same sensation. I do lean right on roads that grade the opposite way (sloping down to the left) like on highways in the furthest left lane. I wonder if Id feel the same way on European roads but opposite lean sensation...
I ride in America too and can assure you my bikes aren't leaning to the left side from the roads.
Old 03-05-19, 12:52 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I had this problem once and it was my wheel spacing. I had a 120mm hub in a 130mm frame. I bought some 5mm spacers and put them between the cone nuts and it was fixed.
That being said, I've experienced leans like this one or two times before, and during both times I later found that my frame was bent.
Wheel's being out of true don't cause this, they cause wobble and hop. Bent forks COULD cause this, but you would notice the difference in your steering more than your overall lean (You would feel a pull at your hands more than your body).
My test for bent/out of whack spacing on a frame is pretty simple: ride the thing with no hands.
If you can stay up-right and coast pretty smoothly on smooth, flat asphalt, then things are in alignment. If you have to compensate heavily or if your bike tries to dip down and you have to catch it, something is wrong with your alignment.

I would remove your rear wheel and check the alignment of your dropouts. Next, check the dropout alignment of your fork.
Some bike shops perform frame bends so I would call around before thinking about replacing. I wouldn't try to re-bend a fork though unless it was some kind of one off or custom made.