Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Good price for new cable/housing job

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Good price for new cable/housing job

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 08:03 PM
liv_rong

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i meant u dont always have to replace housing..oops.lol
Old 03-12-05, 12:01 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by liv_rong
i meant you dont always have to replace housing..oops.
The English language is a beautiful thing, why scar it with AOL'ese?
Old 03-12-05, 06:57 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Basically you're talking about a complete tune up with about $20.00 in additional parts. I'd say that $70.00 is going to be a typical LBS price. If you brought it to my shop, I'm going to to do a quick check of the hubs, crank and headset, remove and clean the chain if it's grotty and clean and polish the frame while it doesn't have any cables on it to have to work around.
Old 03-12-05, 07:38 AM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Bikes: On*One Imbred (commuter), Specialized Rockcombo(commuter)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by liv_rong
Dont use old cables if theres any rust.$75 is a total rip off,dont ever pay that.You should talk to your local shop again and have them give you a better idea of cost.Sometimes you can talk to the mechanic and sort of hagle with them a little.Most prices are not set in stone.A lot of shops wont charge you for each adjustment,they will do it all in one price,like two brakes for $15 and so forth.And if you work something out see if you can watch them do it,its fairly easy.Derailers are hardest for sure.
Or just do it all yourself and if u cant adjust gears then bring to shop to save some cash. Also you dont always have to replace the cables.If they are not in bad condition then either spray some teflon lube in casing or put park grease on new cable and things will flow great..good luck
I think the brakes are a lot more of a pain to set up.
Old 03-12-05, 07:40 AM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Basically you're talking about a complete tune up with about $20.00 in additional parts. I'd say that $70.00 is going to be a typical LBS price. If you brought it to my shop, I'm going to to do a quick check of the hubs, crank and headset, remove and clean the chain if it's grotty and clean and polish the frame while it doesn't have any cables on it to have to work around.
Still ain't worth $70.
Old 03-13-05, 03:07 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Actually for a full cable job and a tuneup that's about right
Old 03-13-05, 03:44 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Feltup
Still ain't worth $70.
What's your basis of comparison? If you're saying that you'd do it yourself rather than pay somebody else $70.00 to do it, well I would too. If you're saying that most shops will do the job for significantly less than that, I think that you're wrong. The original poster asked what he should expect the shop to charge. I think that $70.00 is the right answer and I said why. It sounds to me like the other guys who have had shop experience think so too.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 03-13-05 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-13-05, 03:45 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you're saying that you'd do it yourself rather than pay somebody else $70.00 to do it, well I would to.
Same here
Old 03-13-05, 06:42 AM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On I totally agree with the price. I am saying it is sad that LBS have to charge that much. I know they have to stay in business.
Old 03-14-05, 10:49 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, to do a quick hijack with an easy response, I hope: anyone know where I can order some orange cable housing for my bike?

Also, what kind of cutters does one need to cut housing.

Could I clean out the housing with any lubricant, such as, for example, Tri-flow?

And can one use various cables with various housings, or do you use the two you bought together?
Old 03-14-05, 11:13 AM
nolageek
FixedGearQueer

Bikes: 2005 IRO, 198x Bianchi Stelvio

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a novice DIYer myself, I have to play devil's advocate and state that many people just don't want to DIY. $70 seems OK to me to do a fair amount of work that many just dont know how to do and possibly dont want to bother to learn. Not to mention they'd have to buy $30 in tools, then buy cables, housings, etc... Personally, I'd go to my local Bike CoOp and do it. Free tools, low prices, and plenty of help to do it myself.
Old 03-14-05, 11:57 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very good point. I'm in your position and have been getting frustrated at the constant need for proper tools to do even the smallest adjustments. Bike co-ops can be a bit intimidating, though...
Old 03-14-05, 12:13 PM
SpokesInMyPoop
Ha Ha! Boss.

Bikes: Univega custom 14sp mixte + Sears 3sp groceryhoggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm gonna chime in with DIY. It takes me about an hour to do all my cables (Honestly, I've never really timed myself... but it's somewhere around there), and costs me about $6 (maybe around $8 more if I put in new housing) Seriously, it's worth it. If you get a Bell tune-up kit (with all the cables necessary), it comes with instructions.

Happy... uhh... cabling?
Old 03-14-05, 12:25 PM
SpokesInMyPoop
Ha Ha! Boss.

Bikes: Univega custom 14sp mixte + Sears 3sp groceryhoggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peripatetic
So, to do a quick hijack with an easy response, I hope: anyone know where I can order some orange cable housing for my bike?

Also, what kind of cutters does one need to cut housing.

Could I clean out the housing with any lubricant, such as, for example, Tri-flow?

And can one use various cables with various housings, or do you use the two you bought together?
I'd google around for the cable housing, or check with an LBS.

As for cable cutters, look for diagonal cutters. They seem to work the best, and they aren't that exp. either.

I use triflow for lubing cable housing... that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I haven't really used grease on my cables like I've heard some others suggest on this board, but it probably works if people stand by that method.

And brake cable housing and shifter cable housing are 2 totally different things, although they look similar on the outside. Pick up both varieties if you plan on changing all your housing! (don't forget shifter cables and brake cables if your also changing them out).

I think Sheldon has something on this...-
Old 03-14-05, 12:28 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by nolageek
As a novice DIYer myself, I have to play devil's advocate and state that many people just don't want to DIY. $70 seems OK to me to do a fair amount of work that many just dont know how to do and possibly dont want to bother to learn. Not to mention they'd have to buy $30 in tools, then buy cables, housings, etc... Personally, I'd go to my local Bike CoOp and do it. Free tools, low prices, and plenty of help to do it myself.
There are three basic reasons why people take their bike to a shop for service:
1. They are unsure of how to do the job themselves.
2. They lack the tools to do the job.
3. They just don't want to bother with doing it themselves.
Old 03-14-05, 12:51 PM
nolageek
FixedGearQueer

Bikes: 2005 IRO, 198x Bianchi Stelvio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are three basic reasons why people take their bike to a shop for service:
1. They are unsure of how to do the job themselves.
2. They lack the tools to do the job.
3. They just don't want to bother with doing it themselves.
True. But, they are all valid reasons for some people. To some people, it's just worth it to pay someone else to do it. That's the reason there are 15 minute oil change places.

I paid someone to do oil changes in my car, but I do most of my own bike repairs. I'm more comfortable with some things.. somethings I'd rather a professional do.

I guess if I had enough money I'd rather bring it to a bike shop, get it done right in 15 minutes and go riding, rather than spend 3 hours fiddling with it myself and have it start raining. For my current financial situation, this isn't an option.

Hell, I brought my bike in to get a flat fixed once because I had just walked 3 miles in 100 heat and I was just OVER IT. It was worth the $15 just so I could sit in the A/Ced shop, chit chat, cool my temper (and body) and dry off. I walked in and they were like "wow, you look like crap" I was all "Fix my flat. I dont want to even look at my bike right now" and we all laughed.
Old 03-14-05, 03:45 PM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It don't take 3 hours to change cables; unless your blind folded. But I understand where your coming from. I would rather spend the money on upgrades.
Old 03-14-05, 04:01 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"It don't take 3 hours to change cables"
That depends on the person doing it.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 03-14-05, 04:15 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
And it also depends on if your LBS where you are buying the cables and housing keeps screwing you up. It once took me three days to replace a rear derailler cable and housing. THanks to my LBS giving me the wrong cable, then the wrong housing, then cutting the correct housing too short.

I have since wised up and do all of this myself and order online.
Old 03-14-05, 04:37 PM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
And how much beer is on hand.
Old 03-14-05, 04:41 PM
DocF
Older Than Dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either pay the $70 or learn to do it yourself. The price is reasonable in my opinion, but then, I charge my billable accounts $125.00 to 300.00 an hour depending on what I'm doing.

Doc

PS: learning is much easier if the beer is nearby and not on site.
Old 03-14-05, 10:07 PM
liv_rong

Bikes: It has two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$70 for just cables is too much.I dont know where everyone else goes but you must be getting ripped off, no matter what you say.I've worked in many shops and never came anywhere near 70 bucks for that job,unless something else needs service. Now lets see how much longer this thread goes on for because it seems a lot of people might learn something.
Old 03-27-14, 02:28 PM
KJL

Bikes: Borealis Flume - Diamondback Hanjo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
If the final bill was $70 that seems about right after taxes etc. Maybe less in a smaller (non-corporate) shop. Anyway, for me - when it comes to my road bike I would gladly spend 50 to 70 knowing I have the right cables, brakes adjusted, shifting adjusted correctly. I can tinker with my Mtn. bike but when it comes to road stuff it seems to need a more precise hand. That's just me though.
Old 03-27-14, 03:05 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KJL
If the final bill was $70 that seems about right after taxes etc. Maybe less in a smaller (non-corporate) shop. Anyway, for me - when it comes to my road bike I would gladly spend 50 to 70 knowing I have the right cables, brakes adjusted, shifting adjusted correctly. I can tinker with my Mtn. bike but when it comes to road stuff it seems to need a more precise hand. That's just me though.
I didn't look at the dates, and until I saw one of the posters knew I was reading an old thread... over 9 years since the last post.

Nice resurrection, I hadn't seen a post from Sidney in a long time...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-27-14, 03:17 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nolageek
I paid someone to do oil changes in my car, but I do most of my own bike repairs.... I'm more comfortable with some things.. somethings I'd rather a professional do.

I guess if I had enough money I'd rather bring it to a bike shop, get it done right in 15 minutes and go riding,
Though I"m still a rookie I just replaced the cables and housings a few minutes ago on my mtb which has 7 sp Rapid Fire shifters from '90. Cost was 4 bucks in materials, and a little dinking around. I needed a 9 mm wrench and inexpensive cutters from Sears. Also, I don't trust LBS much - a couple bad experiences can ruin a guy. But I hate working on cars, and cost of oil and filter is as high as the on-sale $17 oil changes so I let someone else do it.

Next on my to-do list is learn how to make my 2009 Trek 2.1 shift perfectly.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.