Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 06:48 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Welcome to the DS/Neko world.

Bottle cages decisions are trivial. Just get something that makes sense to you. Something that looks decent, seems durable, and fit's your bottle well. I have a Specialized one that can be adjusted to be somewhat of a side loader. For easier access.

For lights, it matters what lights your inquiring about. Front, rear, be seen, or to see...You'll get a hundred opinions on each. Personally I have the Ion 800 R on the blendr mount for front light. I like it. It's somewhat expensive, but it's very durable, and quite bright. Acceptable battery life, multiple settings. It likely wouldn't be great on a pitch black night ride on a trail to see, but it does quite well in the city at night. It mounts clean on the front stem too. For the rear I use a Hotshot Cygolite 100 as a be seen flasher. It can be mounted on a seat stay or rack tail, or even on some rack bags, and helmets.
Old 04-05-18, 07:14 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rummy
Hello. New guy here. My girlfriend and I are picking up a DS3 and Neko2 tomorrow.
I'm looking to get some options on some accessories. Are all bottle cages pretty much the same? I was thinking to pick up a few cheapos from Amazon. I would also love recommendations on light options.
Thanks!
My wife and I have the same two bikes (2017 models) and we both hated the stock saddles. We have since replaced them with Selle Italia Gel Flow saddles (gender-specific, of course).

I have shoulder issues, so I have also changed the bars and stem to be higher. I went with a Bontrager stem and a pair of Spank Spike 50mm rider bars. I also changed out the grips for a set of Ergon GP2 grips w/ the short bar ends.

I went with a pair of Pedaling Innovations Catalyst flat pedals, because I liked what I heard of the science behind their unique sizing. They are awesome!

We both have medium sized saddle bags to carry the essentials (spare tube, tools, etc...) and we both use a handlebar bag (but mounted facing the rider to see our smartphones, I use Cyclemeter and Strava on some of my training rides.).

Phots of both can be seen here: https://www.bikeforums.net/20192503-post1819.html. The photo of my DS3 is before I installed the pedals.
Old 04-05-18, 08:21 AM
rummy

Bikes: Trek DS3 / Neko 2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karmajack
Welcome to the DS/Neko world.

Bottle cages decisions are trivial. Just get something that makes sense to you. Something that looks decent, seems durable, and fit's your bottle well. I have a Specialized one that can be adjusted to be somewhat of a side loader. For easier access.

For lights, it matters what lights your inquiring about. Front, rear, be seen, or to see...You'll get a hundred opinions on each. Personally I have the Ion 800 R on the blendr mount for front light. I like it. It's somewhat expensive, but it's very durable, and quite bright. Acceptable battery life, multiple settings. It likely wouldn't be great on a pitch black night ride on a trail to see, but it does quite well in the city at night. It mounts clean on the front stem too. For the rear I use a Hotshot Cygolite 100 as a be seen flasher. It can be mounted on a seat stay or rack tail, or even on some rack bags, and helmets.
Got it. Thank you. And, yYou're right about light options. I don't even know where to start. The Ion 800R does look nice, and I like the fact that I would already have a mount for it.

Thanks to Chicago weather, I'm not sure if we'll be able to pick up our bikes today. It's going to be snowing / freezing raining this evening.
Old 04-05-18, 08:26 AM
rummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Snowman
My wife and I have the same two bikes (2017 models) and we both hated the stock saddles. We have since replaced them with Selle Italia Gel Flow saddles (gender-specific, of course).

I have shoulder issues, so I have also changed the bars and stem to be higher. I went with a Bontrager stem and a pair of Spank Spike 50mm rider bars. I also changed out the grips for a set of Ergon GP2 grips w/ the short bar ends.

I went with a pair of Pedaling Innovations Catalyst flat pedals, because I liked what I heard of the science behind their unique sizing. They are awesome!

We both have medium sized saddle bags to carry the essentials (spare tube, tools, etc...) and we both use a handlebar bag (but mounted facing the rider to see our smartphones, I use Cyclemeter and Strava on some of my training rides.).

Phots of both can be seen here: The photo of my DS3 is before I installed the pedals.
My girlfriend mentioned she wanted to upgrade saddles right away. I will definitely check out Selle Italia. They seem to be praised here from what I've read. Thank you for other recommendations. I've been reading up on Ergon grips, but I can't decide if I want the GP1 or GP3. Your bike looks great!
Old 04-06-18, 10:10 AM
rummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to order Ergon grips for DS3 and Neko2. Do I need large for both? Thanks!
Old 04-06-18, 10:45 AM
Karmajack

The sizes for Ergons are meant for hand or palm size, not bar size or anything like that.
Old 04-06-18, 10:51 AM
rummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sizes for Ergons are meant for hand or palm size, not bar size or anything like that.
Thank you.
Old 04-09-18, 02:59 PM
rrscott135
Born Again Cyclist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really appreciate this discussion regarding the Ergon grips. I have issues with the numbness in my hands/fingers when on the bike for extended rides. I have tried a variety of cycling gloves with no relief. The Ergon grips may be my next option. Thanks again to all who contributed!
Scott
Old 04-10-18, 01:38 PM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rrscott135
I really appreciate this discussion regarding the Ergon grips. I have issues with the numbness in my hands/fingers when on the bike for extended rides. I have tried a variety of cycling gloves with no relief. The Ergon grips may be my next option. Thanks again to all who contributed!
Scott
the grips have saved my sanity. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and can ride with or without gloves with minimal discomfort when using the Ergon grips. The GP series is really nice. Numbness of hands can also be the result of the position of your hands on the bars. If they're bent too much, it cuts off circulation. Having carpal tunnel, you tend to learn all about ergonomics. If you get new grips, but still have bad hand position, you may still have numbness. Just something to think about.
Old 04-10-18, 07:00 PM
rrscott135
Born Again Cyclist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, that is a very good point.
Old 04-11-18, 10:58 AM
rummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving Ergon grips. GP2 large for me and GP2 small for my girlfriend.
Old 04-11-18, 04:21 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I have found that a bottle of sam's choice water i think it is 20 oz fits nicely in a bottle cage. Stick it in the freezer for a while to get it cold maybe partially frozen. When you are done just toss it to the side of the rode....Just kidding on the last part.
Old 04-11-18, 06:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I have found that a bottle of sam's choice water i think it is 20 oz fits nicely in a bottle cage. Stick it in the freezer for a while to get it cold maybe partially frozen. When you are done just toss it to the side of the rode....Just kidding on the last part.
The 16.9oz bottles also fit well in the plastic bottle cages (and the 20oz ones are a nice snug fit). I use the Be 50 Strong bottle cages from Walmart for this reason (they carry plastic water bottles nicely). I don't usually mess with washable bottles because bottled water is so inexpensive and convenient.
Old 04-16-18, 11:48 AM
RubenAlonzo

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going to purchase the Trek DS1 today, will post pictures after I get her home and all setup. I'm hella excited!
Old 04-16-18, 12:18 PM
rummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picture of our DS3/Neko2 being ridden home from the shop.

Old 04-18-18, 09:47 AM
IrishYorf07

Bikes: '18 Trek DS2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a test ride on the DS2 and 3 yesterday, loved it!! Unfortunately the DS2 was a larger size so it was kinda tough to do a great side by side comparison and figure out if the 3 was worth the extra money. Although I did enjoy the shifting of the 9 gear better than the 8 and I would def upgrade the grips on the DS2. Any thoughts from yall comparing the two? I'm a newbie.

Also,,,anyone ride Giant Roams? I hoped on a Roam 2 which is their version of the DS3, almost the same component build. It was definitely comfortable/similar and a whole lot cheaper. I expect some bias from you guys being DS owners... but is there anything major that should steer me away from saving the money and getting the Giant?
Old 04-18-18, 07:34 PM
Karmajack

Originally Posted by IrishYorf07
Took a test ride on the DS2 and 3 yesterday, loved it!! Unfortunately the DS2 was a larger size so it was kinda tough to do a great side by side comparison and figure out if the 3 was worth the extra money. Although I did enjoy the shifting of the 9 gear better than the 8 and I would def upgrade the grips on the DS2. Any thoughts from yall comparing the two? I'm a newbie.

Also,,,anyone ride Giant Roams? I hoped on a Roam 2 which is their version of the DS3, almost the same component build. It was definitely comfortable/similar and a whole lot cheaper. I expect some bias from you guys being DS owners... but is there anything major that should steer me away from saving the money and getting the Giant?
I've read your thread, and replied. I reiterate some of my opinion here.

Based off your experience at the Trek dealer compared to the Giant store, I'd pay the extra money for the superior customer service.

I chose a 3 over a 2 simply for the color and the extra speed. There's not many major noticeable differences in the specs between the 2. Just slightly better components that you'll likely not notice much difference in. I wouldn't go less than a DS 2. There's a bigger difference between the DS1 and 2.

Besides that,...the DS simply looks better than the Roam. And I really have come to love the Blendr tech.
Old 04-18-18, 09:25 PM
IrishYorf07

Bikes: '18 Trek DS2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read your thread, and replied. I reiterate some of my opinion here.

Based off your experience at the Trek dealer compared to the Giant store, I'd pay the extra money for the superior customer service.

I chose a 3 over a 2 simply for the color and the extra speed. There's not many major noticeable differences in the specs between the 2. Just slightly better components that you'll likely not notice much difference in. I wouldn't go less than a DS 2. There's a bigger difference between the DS1 and 2.

Besides that,...the DS simply looks better than the Roam. And I really have come to love the Blendr tech.
Thanks for your replies! I'm tracking right there with you. Only thing I really noticed was how the gears shifted a little easier, which as the Trek guy explained, was due to them being closer together with 9 instead of 8 in the same space. That and the grips, which he quickly pointed out I could easily change myself for cheap. Dude didn't try to up sell me at all.

I definitely agree that the DS is a much better looking bike than the Roam. Which color made you dig in your pockets a little deeper? That blue?
Old 04-18-18, 11:46 PM
Karmajack

its gloss black. matched my car nice. looks good on the rack.
Old 04-20-18, 01:36 PM
rummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got some upgrades.

Raceface Chester pedals
Yellow cage / bottle
Ergon GP2
Selle Italia Max SLR
Bontrager seat bag

Old 04-21-18, 05:31 AM
manc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rummy
Got some upgrades.

Raceface Chester pedals
Yellow cage / bottle
Ergon GP2
Selle Italia Max SLR
Bontrager seat bag

Looks good. Blue and yellow a good combination.
Old 04-21-18, 09:24 AM
Karmajack

Trying to revamp my cockpit a bit. Basically rearranging where the phone, cyclometer, and light are mounted. Got a Quad Lock and Blendr accessories, and more coming. Parts arrived in the mail today, and I jumped right into the project. Then a speed bump. I found out the hard way that my stem is actually an Elite stem and that Blendr base mounts are specific to the several different stem types. Not universal at all. My fault I guess for not doing enough research before ordering parts. So the Blendr PRO duo base mount I paid $20 bucks for is useless to me, and I had to order 2 elite base mounts. The mistake cost me about $30 dollars, and the 2 mounts instead of 1 cost an additional $10 more anyway. Live and learn I guess. My stem doesn't actually say "Elite" on it anywhere, and I could swear the written specs mentioned Pro stem. Oh well.
So now I'm waiting for the other parts to arrive. Since my local Trek store doesn't carry these Blendr accessories. I had to order them. The Blendr system sure is expensive, but I really think I'll appreciate the clean function of it all, when it's all said and done. I'll be sure to post pics when I get everything together how I want it. By the end of the week I assume.
Old 04-21-18, 11:47 AM
JerseyShore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone ride a xxl DS?
Old 04-21-18, 01:15 PM
manc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JerseyShore
Does anyone ride a xxl DS?
Are you planning on getting one?
Old 04-21-18, 08:11 PM
JerseyShore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by manc
Are you planning on getting one?
Maybe ds3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.