Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Couple guess evaluations here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 05:35 AM
Renaadoeiburamu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple guess evaluations here.

Getting into bikes recently and wanna restore vintage in certain more dutch like styles as a slight hobby. All about reducing/reusing/restoring and recycling especially when you see all the junk being made to last maybe 3 years these days. Just so wasteful. As well as flat out dangerous. But I'm new and curious on far more experienced perspectives. Located in Winnipeg mb, Canada to help with local. I was about to pull the trigger on this nishiki for 150 but was sold next morn so prob good deal. I'm seeing this one up for awhile presumably because it's too expensive. Looks well taken care of but he did say he was a bit flexible down from 375. It's a 1958 raynall 3sp igh with working front wheel dynamo and lights. Looks minty.

This

​​​​​​this was the nashiki that sold for 150. Does that seem like a good deal or average? Sold within 24 hours.

Last edited by Renaadoeiburamu; 04-24-24 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-24-24, 05:39 AM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to look at this bike this week. It looks like an absolute gem and considering plain bikes (bless them and what they're doing for the commuter community here) even used with scratches and some rust sell for 600+ with 3 speed IGH and mostly without ithe front in hub dynamo and instead bottle cap designs which from my recent knowledge have a little more drag, but with the ability to disable physically easily. In my eyes the internal dynamo is the bees knees. This one also comes with the 5 speed IGH. Perfect condition. Slim tire pump included that attaches to frame as well as rear wheel lock fastened to frame. Obvs still will use 3 other sets of locks if I ever leave it out somewhere and put Bluetooth trackers on it to find in the case it is stolen. But they're asking 1200. I feel there's certainly some wiggle room as I essentially commented them on the beautiful bike but I thought it was a bit high to which the responded I wasn't wrong but if they were to put it down a few hundred people would be bidding for it at $200. Which as an experienced marketplace seller is just a tactic you have to use in Winnipeg anyways.

Anyhow. Wanted to check the forums thoughts on the true value of something like this. I think is pay around 600, maybe a tad more for my own personal value but a bikes worth what someone's willing to pay so I was hoping to get a few different perspectives.

My dream commuter style is this, even if this will be more of a joyride bike for me as I just really don't want it stolen. But I'm all about that style with working front and rear lights powered but front wheel hub dynamo and a 5 speed IGH that's rock solid. Fenders and back rack are a must as well. Kinda wish it wasn't grip shift but I'm sure that'll be just fine and could be change if I really hate it. I can't find the year but doesn't look vintage vintage just that style. Any ideas? And recommendations? I just bought 3 Easton glider 3 speed IGH with fenders that need some work so I'll be just turning it into a low key hobby without much expectation for profit. There's also another easton glider recently fully serviced with the og front light and front hub dynamo but the light doesn't work so I'd have to get a electric current tester to see if the Dynamo itself works before buying and then replace with some new leds I found that fit into the same fitting. But he's asking $140. 3 speed internal gear hub, good condition. But nothing like this batavus fryslan in my eyes anyways.

If I could get it for $600 is that a bit mistake or hot deal? Cause bikes in much worse condition sell for the same price at plain bikes used. (Also nothing against them, they're awesome, just saying their used bikes are clearly used but with all necessary repairs done".

Hope to hear back sometime this week so I can try to decide. It's not a necessity for me just kind of my dream bike. Non e bike anyways dream bike. Thanks ahead of time for your input and time reading! Loving this community a lot already and just joined 🙏🏻

Old 04-24-24, 05:47 AM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaand just to possibly make this post too long for everyone to read lol 😅 this popped up last night. Old "Norco eliminator 3sp IGH looks immaculate. Asking 120. Worth that or more or less any ideas?

I h

I've looked into all of these bikes specifically but can't find one exactly like what are being sold other than the 2 Easton gliders I got for cheap.
Old 04-24-24, 07:35 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3828 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,206 Posts
-----

Raynal -

a marque seldom encountered stateside

they did some contract work for chain stores BITD

certainly outstanding condition

SA trigger much earlier than 1985 date

if IGH hub dated 1985 does Dyno carry a same date?

perhaps 5V represents a reworking, not a bad thing

headset, lugs & shell appear to be Brampton

---

NORCO -

sensible & tidy, appears in good nick

if purchase would re-route rear brake transmission to pull from below; ugly and high friction the way it is

best wishes with your continued explorations!

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-24-24, 08:30 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 130 Posts
One thing I would note is that the Raynal has steel rims. If you ride in rain, you do not want steel rims.

I also wonder about the size of the bike. The Batavia is much bigger than the others. How tall are you?

Given you are talking Canadian dollars, thé Nishiki was a good deal.
Old 04-24-24, 02:47 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Raynal -

a marque seldom encountered stateside

they did some contract work for chain stores BITD

certainly outstanding condition

SA trigger much earlier than 1985 date

if IGH hub dated 1985 does Dyno carry a same date?

perhaps 5V represents a reworking, not a bad thing

headset, lugs & shell appear to be Brampton

---

NORCO -

sensible & tidy, appears in good nick

if purchase would re-route rear brake transmission to pull from below; ugly and high friction the way it is

best wishes with your continued explorations!

-----
Apologies I made a typo, I thought I'd typed 1958 as that is what it really is. I imagine those older parts make more sense then?

He's asking 375 CAD but says he's killing to go a bit. If I were to guess maybe 325. Can't really see him getting down into the 2s.

As in my other post I was told beautify and value are in the eye of the beholder. And I agree. But just because one beholder has a higher value and no one else sees the same value do it could could be hard to sell the bike at anything other than a loss if he decides to do so.

That's why I'm trying to get knowledge and ideas from you about an "average" price for some of these bikes. Like I got my 3 for $160 total and they'll need some work and aren't the highest of high class. But they're solid and durable and with some TLC I think they can live many more happy years helping people stay in shape white traveling and reducing their carbon footprint as well as car bills massively. That's kinda my source inspiration beyond enjoying bicycles and been toying around with old bikes with baNana seats when I was a child. But I don't want it to be a money pit either. So thank you all for your time telling me what you think some of these bikes are worth. Although I didn't hear a price estimate on the raynal from you.
Old 04-24-24, 02:53 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
One thing I would note is that the Raynal has steel rims. If you ride in rain, you do not want steel rims.

I also wonder about the size of the bike. The Batavia is much bigger than the others. How tall are you?

Given you are talking Canadian dollars, thé Nishiki was a good deal.
yeah I know not to look for steel rims, but maybe something I can use to talk him down as the rest look decent. What would you offer if you were interested?
​​​
Yeah he was saying I can try it out anyways and see if I like it cause I told him I may not be comfortabl. I'm 5'8" but my legs are slightly.longwe than upper body. So.maaaahbe. Cause I think the ad said 5'11" and up.

And thanks for the heads up on the Nakita I'll look out for more. Yes it was Canadian. my intuition was telling me it was a good bike but just bought 3 to repair and didn't know evening about nishiki. Did more research and sounded good and going to send an offer in the am as I'm a night owl.

Thanks again everyone. Rely appreciate the community
Old 04-25-24, 09:39 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3828 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Renaadoeiburamu
Apologies I made a typo, I thought I'd typed 1958 as that is what it really is. I imagine those older parts make more sense then?

He's asking 375 CAD but says he's killing to go a bit. If I were to guess maybe 325. Can't really see him getting down into the 2s.

As in my other post I was told beautify and value are in the eye of the beholder. And I agree. But just because one beholder has a higher value and no one else sees the same value do it could could be hard to sell the bike at anything other than a loss if he decides to do so.

That's why I'm trying to get knowledge and ideas from you about an "average" price for some of these bikes. Like I got my 3 for $160 total and they'll need some work and aren't the highest of high class. But they're solid and durable and with some TLC I think they can live many more happy years helping people stay in shape white traveling and reducing their carbon footprint as well as car bills massively. That's kinda my source inspiration beyond enjoying bicycles and been toying around with old bikes with baNana seats when I was a child. But I don't want it to be a money pit either. So thank you all for your time telling me what you think some of these bikes are worth. Although I didn't hear a price estimate on the raynal from you.
-----

did not give value estimate as feel am unqualified

our member @SirMike1983 is extremely knowledgeable on British planetaries

he shall be able to give very meaningful counsel...

-----
Old 04-25-24, 09:54 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 341 Posts
The Birmingham Raynal looks right for a 1950s bike. Looks like a 21 inch frame on 26 x 1-3/8 (590mm) wheels. It's an interesting bike in that it's a little different from the usual Raleigh Sports type bike. If you're 5ft 8in tall and have long legs for your height, it's going to be a bit small for you. Around that height, one would start moving to a 23 inch frame, especially if your leg length/pubic bone height runs tall. I'm 5ft 8in with long legs for my height and much prefer a 23 inch frame on 26 inch wheels. If we're talking $325 Canadian, that's probably like $240 American. It's not a great deal, but it's not bad either. That's a fair price for that bike if everything works, is original, and the condition is basically mint and it fits you. The problem is, I think that bike is going to be on the small side for you.
Likes For SirMike1983: