Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

how will i know when i'm "serious"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

how will i know when i'm "serious"

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 11:15 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@AngryScientist

How do you define yourself as a runner?
Old 04-15-09, 11:16 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you married?
Has your spouse threatened your marriage and/or your life because of the bicycle and anything related?

if the answer is, "no," then you have a lot of work to do.
Old 04-15-09, 11:22 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
@AngryScientist

How do you define yourself as a runner?
for me that one's easy - i've been running consistently for well over a decade, and still love to do it. i've competed in countless races, made several great friendships, and (considering the rest of my wreckless lifestyle) has undoubtedly kept me a fit, healthy adult. it is something i grew up with, and still love to this day. it practically defines my lifestyle.

cycling, otoh, is something relatively new to me. i LOVE it, but i want to know if its a puppy love at first site thing, or if its another lifestyle type activity that will shape my self.

so - back to the goal - i figure if i set a tough goal, meet it, and still love getting on the bike, i'm hooked...
Old 04-15-09, 11:22 AM
Apus^2

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the bed is significantly more comfortable than the weather outside (to the point that it requires multiple layers of clothing) and you still drag yourself out for a couple hour ride, then you could be serious--when the weather isn't fair and you still go out.
Old 04-15-09, 11:26 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
Are you married?
Has your spouse threatened your marriage and/or your life because of the bicycle and anything related?

It's funny because it's true...
Old 04-15-09, 11:31 AM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can pee when riding your bike, you are ready. (and not on yourself)
Old 04-15-09, 11:47 AM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're serious when you don't need to have an excuse to buy a new bike.
Old 04-15-09, 11:57 AM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
the bottom line is that i am a goal motivated person, and i will feel better about buying myself a new toy if it is a "reward" for meeting some challenging goals.

Pick some goals that mean something to you- finishing a century, XXXX miles a year, doing a particular ride, climbing Upchuck Mountain in under 30 minutes, losing 20 lbs. Whatver they are make them quantifiable ("get faster" or "get in shape" are lousy goals) and make them a stretch but possible if you work for them.

That's how, when I started riding again, I went from "I am just going to ride for fun but I am never racing again" to racing: metric century, century, hard century, Death Ride, Everest Challenge, other road racing.
Old 04-15-09, 12:05 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
i am admittedly a wishy washy fair weather cyclist. i picked up road biking as marathon cross training, for the low impact goodness.

i do however love biking when i'm actually in the saddle. i have an entry level sora equipped via narone, great bike, truly. i'm also a gear fanatic. i want to move into something a little nicer component wise, i'm thinking something steel with campy, something sweet. something that when i look at, i drool. something that makes riding a century feel like a trip to the grocery store.

i have no real interest in racing, i like going fast, long rides, epic scenery, tough climbs, and whooshing descents.

at the end of last season, i was ready for the bike upgrade, but i told myself, "self, let's see how much you actually ride next season, and if you're serious about putting the miles in, we can justify the new shiny, lusty purchase" its not about the money, its about the principal at this point.

i want to set a goal for this season, now that spring is here, at the end of october, i want to be able to say :

a) i was a serious rider this season, i can justify a new bike

or

b) i got by just fine with my via narone, and i barely road any miles, i dont need another bike.

this season i'm not planning on running as much, which will open up time for cycling.

so does anyone have any suggestions as to how to gauge if i met my goal, based on the above?? i'm trying to be honest with myself this year, and i want to be able to quantify my accomplishments or lack thereof.

sorry for the long post.
I've always felt the best approach is being honest with yourself in identifying the reasons you want to upgrade and measure that against your financial situation. The bottom line is you can enjoy riding on almost any bike, it's just a matter of how comfortable and efficient you want to be on it. The Via Narone will get you by just fine whether you're "serious" or not, if you want to satiate your gearhead temptations then upgrade components as they fail. The more time you spend in the saddle the more aware you'll become of what part of your bike you may want to perform better, but if you got the bike not too long ago I'd ride some more before replacing it. Nice components are great but if you pay a lot of money and they feel the same as what you had (or notice minimal improvement) then the drool factor becomes more of a "what did I do?" concern. Ride some more and see how it goes.
Old 04-15-09, 12:11 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
Are you married?

It seems like I have to make an informal business proposal for every major bike purchase I make, and while I could just show up with new stuff I'd rather not deal with the consequences. Fortunately my wife supports my riding and most performance related equipement isn't an issue since she understands it has quantitative value, new clothing however always gets the "don't you have a jacket already? What's wrong with that one?". I'm not sure how I'm going to pitch the either new BMC or used CAAD8 I've been peeking at.
Old 04-15-09, 12:22 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
I've always felt the best approach is being honest with yourself in identifying the reasons you want to upgrade and measure that against your financial situation. The bottom line is you can enjoy riding on almost any bike, it's just a matter of how comfortable and efficient you want to be on it. The Via Narone will get you by just fine whether you're "serious" or not, if you want to satiate your gearhead temptations then upgrade components as they fail. The more time you spend in the saddle the more aware you'll become of what part of your bike you may want to perform better, but if you got the bike not too long ago I'd ride some more before replacing it. Nice components are great but if you pay a lot of money and they feel the same as what you had (or notice minimal improvement) then the drool factor becomes more of a "what did I do?" concern. Ride some more and see how it goes.
good advice. part of it is that i've always been in awe of campy stuff. the shifting feels so much more connected for me, in my limited experience. riding more is definitely the ultimate answer though.

jorge - we should do some riding this summer, once i improve my average mph to something respectable. i'm pretty close, and flexible on location.
Old 04-15-09, 12:29 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
It's funny because it's true...
oh SO true...

I"m told you have to buy the book......
you learn quick...fo serious.
Old 04-15-09, 12:40 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
just buy the bike.

it's fun to own nice things.
Old 04-15-09, 01:18 PM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gave myself a weightloss goal using a new bike as a reward. I did in fact lose the weight, but I'm pretty sure I would have bought the bike even if I hadn't
Old 04-15-09, 01:35 PM
sharkey00

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In your position I would wait until your bike starts breaking down. With Sora that should not take too long.

If you start having a lot of problems with things like shifters, wheels, ect that would be a good time to reevaluate your gear.
Old 04-15-09, 01:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge

It seems like I have to make an informal business proposal for every major bike purchase I make, and while I could just show up with new stuff I'd rather not deal with the consequences. Fortunately my wife supports my riding and most performance related equipement isn't an issue since she understands it has quantitative value, new clothing however always gets the "don't you have a jacket already? What's wrong with that one?". I'm not sure how I'm going to pitch the either new BMC or used CAAD8 I've been peeking at.
Last summer I had a good run of podiums but couldn't get the top step. I told my wife if I ever won a race I'd reward myself with a new bike.

"But Sweetheart, won't that just prove there's nothing wrong with your old bike?"

D'oh!
Old 04-15-09, 01:47 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This place should be called "the support group from hell".

Buy a new bike? Sure!!

If you have to, set an event or mileage goal, then buy the bike when you meet that goal. I'll tell you, though, the new bike makes getting to that goal all the more possible (and more fun). Nice equipment is very often it's own reward, especially if you're a gear junky like me.

It seems to add to the positive motivation to ride, just 'cuz it's such a pleasure to be able to use nice stuff.

edited to fix quote: it's "the support group from hell"

Geesh. That's what hapens when trying to work while posting.

Last edited by DScott; 04-15-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 01:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by DScott
This place should be called "the support from hell".

Buy a new bike? Sure!!

If you have to, set an event or mileage goal, then buy the bike when you meet that goal. I'll tell you, though, the new bike makes getting to that goal all the more possible (and more fun). Nice equipment is very often it's own reward, especially if you're a gear junky like me.

It seems to add to the positive motivation to ride, just 'cuz it's such a pleasure to be able to use nice stuff.
Look good. Feel good. Ride long and strong.
Old 04-15-09, 01:56 PM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
see my signature
Old 04-15-09, 03:04 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
i'm not looking to compare myself to anyone, or what anyone considers me either. i am interested in setting goals for myself, and look forward to the challenge of achieving whatever goals i set.

the bottom line is that i am a goal motivated person, and i will feel better about buying myself a new toy if it is a "reward" for meeting some challenging goals.
I hear ya... Just don't confine yourself. Set a big goal and go for it--someone out there won't think it's a big enough accomplishment, but oh well.
Old 04-15-09, 03:15 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
I gave myself a weightloss goal using a new bike as a reward. I did in fact lose the weight, but I'm pretty sure I would have bought the bike even if I hadn't
I started down this route - but with me it didn't work. Then ended up buying a new bike up front as incentive. That did the trick. Lost 20 lbs and am now racing with a local team.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-15-09, 03:45 PM
roadrider65

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back this afternoon from a 32-mile loop on a 6-year-old hybrid. Sunny day. I smiled a lot. So if I'm smiling does that mean I'm not serious?
Old 04-15-09, 03:48 PM
caloso

This guy's always smiling and I'd consider him a pretty serious cyclist.

Old 04-15-09, 04:23 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
i want to set a goal for this season, now that spring is here, at the end of october, i want to be able to say :

a) i was a serious rider this season, i can justify a new bike

or

b) i got by just fine with my via narone, and i barely road any miles, i dont need another bike.

this season i'm not planning on running as much, which will open up time for cycling.

so does anyone have any suggestions as to how to gauge if i met my goal, based on the above?? i'm trying to be honest with myself this year, and i want to be able to quantify my accomplishments or lack thereof.

That's easy ..... a minimum of 8000 km for the year, but preferably 10,000 km for the year.

The year before I bought my most recent road bicycle, I rode 8500 km for the year. The year I bought that bicycle, I rode 11,700 km for the year.
Old 04-15-09, 04:48 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Push yourself to increase the amount of rides, time and distance over last season. Even you don't accomplish any of them by the end of the season you will know if your serious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.