Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

what do you think of this workbench?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 08:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,442 Posts

I need a workbench for my amateur bicycle shop I have in my basement. I've been meaning to build one but haven't gotten around to it. (I forgot where I stored all my round tuits.) So maybe I should buy one. And Harbor Freight, purveyor of cheap tools, in both senses of the word "cheap", is selling this one for $160. It's only 20" deep (51 cm) and that sounds a bit too shallow.

What do y'all think?

LINK

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-22-09, 09:12 AM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered another model of bench from them a month ago. It had a peg board back, a built in outlet strip, and an overhead light. A week goes by and I didn't receive a shipping notice. Finally, I called and was told it was on back order until the end of June. I cancelled the order. I have developed little patience for companies that build a website with a bunch of features, but fail to include a feature that tells you immediately whether a part is in stock or not. Harris Cyclery seems to be able to do it, why can't Harbor Freight?
Anyways, call before you order to be sure it is in stock.
Old 05-22-09, 09:30 AM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup. Cheap is the word for that crap. Sorry, I have my own particular disdain for HF, it is pretty bad stuff, altho I have bought a few things like bits there that I considered 'consumable' and just threw away when done. I don't even like the smell of the cosmoline or whatever it is in that place. I am most certainly biased because I work as a carpenter and make my living with my tools.

That 'workbench' looks to me like it will be a bit rickety, and my notion is that a workbench really needs to be solid and steady. This holds especially true when mounting a vice.

I think 20" is a tad narrow. I have one 24" and seems good for bike stuff.

If I were to build a free-standing bench, it would probably consist of 4x4 legs, 2x4 framework, minimum 3/4" ply top, bolted and screwed together. Cost $50 or less for materials.

If you don't want to build yourself, I'll bet a carpenter would be willing to put a nice solid bench together for 160 bucks (materials included). I would.
Old 05-22-09, 09:48 AM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenhill3
If I were to build a free-standing bench, it would probably consist of 4x4 legs, 2x4 framework, minimum 3/4" ply top, bolted and screwed together. Cost $50 or less for materials.
Just built mine ... about 10d ago ... pretty much to that spec. Used two layers of 7/16" OSB on top, and then added 1/8" masonite over it as the consumable top surface.

Cost was pretty much right on. Took a couple of hours. Has a 2x4 sheet of pegboard on the back, too!

[I just bought the stuff, last night, for a "spinner rack" (to be built on a HF furniture dolly) to serve as my workstand-side tool caddy -- 5' tall and four-sided with pegboard....]

I could park my car on the DIY workbench.

My thing about HF is pretty simple: there's a place for them, but ... until you know their merchandise really well ... I don't think it's ever smart to buy from them without first laying hands on the thing in question.

The Depot has a $160 Husky bench that -- while different -- is probably a better built product. I've seen the bench you linked to, but ... since I wasn't considering a buy ... didn't /really/ look at it.

Are you near a store, at least, to check it out?

I can front you a "round tuit," if that would help. The joy was in the build!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Workbench.jpg (66.9 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by neil0502; 05-22-09 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 05-22-09, 09:49 AM
dwr1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 20" depth probably wont make you happy if you're going to keep anything on the work surface (like storage bins, tool organizers, etc.). I think an equally important dimension is height. My workbench is a bit over 40" high - perfect for me to work at while standing (I'm 6'1").

Ken the Carpenter's advice above is sage... You can build a very sturdy workbench out of wood and simple fasteners. Mine is similar to what he described, and it probably cost me $50-60 in materials. I did it myself and I most assuredly am NOT a skilled woodworker!

Go ahead and DIY it... You're a good mechanic, this'll be a piece of cake.
Old 05-22-09, 10:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Thanks for talking me out of it, folks. I haven't been to a Harbor Freight store yet, and I've bought a few things from them online and understand what they're about.

Their web site sucks, too.

You know, I'm weird. I consider myself a good mechanic. (And thank you for the compliment, dwr1961.) But I'm intimidated by carpentry and home repairs. Silly, I know.

A friend of mine says that Home Despot has a kit for building a workbench. It's just brackets, and you fill it in with lumber, so you can alter the width and whatever. Sounds like my best bet.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Speaking of my amateur bike shop, I'm going to have some really good news to post soon. But I can't tell you yet. You'll have to wait a few days. I'm ready to burst with the secret, but I have to wait.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-22-09, 10:23 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I built this in a weekend, loosely based on plans from Family Handyman Magazine

Old 05-22-09, 10:31 AM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsharr
There ya go! I like the bump out/peninsula on the right.
Old 05-22-09, 10:35 AM
neil0502

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsharr
Awwwww, crap.

How do I remove my photo

Well played, Sir!
Old 05-22-09, 10:47 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by kenhill3
There ya go! I like the bump out/peninsula on the right.
It is made from two pieces of 3/4 plywood glued and screwed together and then attached with door hinges so it folds up and down. Give a nice deep work space and when folded, still allows two cars in the garage.

Originally Posted by neil0502
Awwwww, crap.

How do I remove my photo

Well played, Sir!

Thank you!

The bins underneath are on casters and roll out to provide more storage for bulky items. I bought the cabinets pre built from a home center. The rest was built from 2x4's and plywood. It was a two man, two day job. My father and I built it in two leisurely paced days.
Old 05-22-09, 10:55 AM
sharkey00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just built one with a 2x4 scrap, 2 old 6ft boards, and an old fence rail.

You can also use an old, used or cheap door and buy some premade legs. It should be easier to assemble than 90% of the ikea catalog.
Old 05-22-09, 10:56 AM
dcmurf

Bikes: Nishiki Sport, GT Talera, Bianchi Imola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both the houses we have owned came with pretty good work benches in the cellar. The first was a mess and I built it up over the years. My current house came with a great bench that had been badly beaten. I replaced a couple of 2x8s and put a new fiberboard top and bolted on a 4" machinists vice and was good to go. I recently added a bench-mount magnifying lamp as a sop to my 50+ eyes - best decision I've made in a long time.

The cellar is "Dave's World"
Old 05-22-09, 11:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

jsharr, I bow down before you!

Old 05-22-09, 01:09 PM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
A friend of mine says that Home Despot has a kit for building a workbench. It's just brackets, and you fill it in with lumber, so you can alter the width and whatever. Sounds like my best bet.
Chances are, he's talking about this
https://www.2x4basics.com/WorkBench-Legs.asp
As long as you can use a circular saw and a drill, it sounds like a good deal.
Old 05-22-09, 01:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Maybe. But by the sound of it, I think it's this.

Old 05-22-09, 02:49 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Some years ago I owned an oak bench very much like the one you were considering from HF. Although it was a woodworking bench, I found it quite functional for most any mechanical job. I wish I still had it. The lack of depth can be overcome by moving the bench away from the wall a bit. I added two diagonal stringers between the back legs to make it even more solid. I think the oak top is an advantage; impervious to most everything and very tough. At a Harbor Freight store, it is good to examine the item you are considering rather than making a blanket assessment, as some do, that it's all junk. Sign up for HF's email specials because 20% off coupons flow freely.
Old 05-22-09, 05:26 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can build a bench for less money that kicks that Horrible Fright bench's ass! It's garbage. Looks can be deceiving.

I just don't understand why folks get so addicted to that HF junk.

Or, maybe I do. All these shelves full of crap selling for next to nothing.

Don't mind me, it's just a personal rant. I was being nice to HF in the other post.
Old 05-22-09, 06:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

But tell us how you REALLY feel, kenhill3.

Old 05-22-09, 07:01 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have to admit that I looked at the same bench at HF. After realizing that the legs were too weak to really support the bench, I searched for plans on the web and found one I liked, well thought out and sturdy. If I recall correctly, it may have been on this web site. Follow this link:

https://dmroth.com/woodworking/workbench/workbench.html
Old 05-22-09, 07:07 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
But tell us how you REALLY feel, kenhill3.
Don't get me started.

Wait........I already AM started!

I have a friend who is contractor, I have worked for him a coupla times. Helluva nice guy. He has the sickness, the HF addiction. Well, out in his shop there is a BIG pile of HF trade tools- routers, cordless drills, laminate trimmers, rotohammers, etc.- probably 30 or 40 of 'em. They are all dead, this is the boneyard, what a pitiful waste of pot metal and that terrible HF pink plastic. At least it didn't cost him TOO much money.

Like I said, good guy, but frankly he's a hack and buys tools commensurate with that. I suppose a a high quality tool would be a waste in his hands anyway.
Old 05-22-09, 07:22 PM
neil0502

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
And here's the starting point for the one I built....
Old 05-22-09, 07:53 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Another thought would be to check Craigslist. Last winter I found a bench that a guy had built himself years ago when apparently lumber was a lot cheaper than it is today. This thing was heavy and obviously wouldn't fall apart in my lifetime. The top was covered with some leftover hardwood flooring. It also had a built in bench vise... which I wasn't really looking for... until I saw it!! I bought it for $50 which included delivery.
Old 05-22-09, 08:10 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
gbalke and neil0502:

Those are both great! The only thing I would suggest would be NOT to use OSB for a work surface- it chips and gouges and just kinda falls apart when you apply various 'working forces'. OSB also does not handle liquids very well AT ALL, it just sucks 'em up and swells and turns into spongy crap. Maybe try 3/4" ply, even double it up for solidity.

For my own work bench I used 1 1/4" MDO (medium density overlay) which is essentially plywood, and is sold as concrete form material and comes in 24"x96" sheets- it's HEAVY. I did plastic laminate countertop on it which give a very durable and cleanable surface. I'll see if I can get some pics of this workbench for y'all when I go by my shop tonight.
Old 05-22-09, 09:28 PM
neil0502

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ken,

Great advice.

On mine, I used two layers of 7/16" OSB, but then threw 1/8" masonite OVER the OSB and tacked it down. It's now nearly disposable, since I got 4 slices from a cheap 4'x8' sheet.

Please do put up some pics of your creation if you get the chance....
Old 05-22-09, 11:02 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Remodel you kitchen and put the old cabinets in your shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.