Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Barbados

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 09:32 AM
Dolanarc1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts
Barbados

The Mrs's and I are travelling to Barbados early March to get out of the cold here,

I plan on taking my road bike. I know that they drive on the left and I'm quite comfortable with that.
I raced in the U.K. for 8 years so left is a non issue.

Anyone have a experience riding there ? Also aware of good places to see and eat ?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thx
Old 02-01-16, 10:40 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, lots of time over many years and a lot of road cycling experience there. It is a small island with narrow roads and fast drivers. HWY 1 north of Bridgetown is a beautiful ride, mostly flat until you get north of Speightstown. I really dislike riding through Bridgetown. Generally speaking, throw away any idea of taking the lane as the drivers do not respect cyclists in that way and the Police do not support taking the lane. They fully expect you to stay on the shoulder. Traffic circles are a nightmare when busy.

The is a lot of great dining around St Lawrence Gap and a must do on a clear night is Cafe Luna. Small restaurant on the rooftop of a tiny boutique hotel. Champers is also excellent. Morning coffee and croissants at Flindts is good. That is near Rockley Beach. If you like Hockey, Berts Bar is owned by the Ottawa Senators owner and is a great place to catch a game a wood fired pizza and a nice cold Banks.

Rent a car and explore the North Coast. It is very scenic as the coast around the Crane. Harrison Caves are interesting but they are getting increasingly commercial. Still worth seeing as it gives an idea as to the aquifer system the island has for fresh water. The Mt Gay Rum tour is not worth going to other than a few shots at the sample table.

Dining and cycling really depend on which hotel you are at.

Have fun but avoid the Garrison area and even Rockley Beach late night. Drugs and prostitution sales in both places. It is safe to walk through the area, just stick to Beach Road.
Old 02-03-16, 04:56 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
The east side of Barbados is spectacular, not at all like the calm watered west. Lots of breathtaking views and much more rural, just not swimmer friendly. Good surfing though. Bathsheba is a small town with great surf, a few restaurants and good scenery. Botanical Gardens there as well. Going south towards Bottom Bay, Crane beach is nice. If you've a bike with 28's or bigger tires, I'd take it. Nicer areas have rougher roads. I think you have to be careful at night Island wide. Not at all like it used to be as far as safety, but where is?

Just remembered that I was allowed to take my surfboard on the buses, if you go at off times, it wouldn't surprise me that they'd allow a bike. Eat flying fish sandwiches every day for lunch.
Old 02-04-16, 10:13 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
By coincidence, I'm heading to Barbados in Feb. was there last year and thought that it looked like a great place to ride. I don't get to bring my bike, as I'm headed there with family, but thought that maybe this year I'd try to rent a bike. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-04-16, 10:48 PM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
By coincidence, I'm heading to Barbados in Feb. was there last year and thought that it looked like a great place to ride. I don't get to bring my bike, as I'm headed there with family, but thought that maybe this year I'd try to rent a bike. Anyone have any suggestions?
Maybe try Trailseekers. They are more of a guided ride group but they may rent or will at least know who does. I always had my own.
Old 02-05-16, 08:15 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Maybe try Trailseekers. They are more of a guided ride group but they may rent or will at least know who does. I always had my own.
Thanks for the information! I'll look into them!
Old 02-09-16, 04:26 PM
Dolanarc1

I've searched the web for a good quality bike rental and come up with very little.
Air Canada will fly mine for $50.00, so I'm taking it.

Thank you to all that replied,
Old 02-09-16, 05:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Was in Barbados once on a cruise stop. Only way I'd go back is flying as I learned I'm not a cruise person.

I liked the island and was paying attention to riding potential and thought Barbados was a seemingly good choice as its not super hilly.

If possible, do us a favor and do a trip report as I'd like to hear of your experiences,

Thanks in advance
Old 02-09-16, 08:37 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Dolanarc1
I've searched the web for a good quality bike rental and come up with very little.
Air Canada will fly mine for $50.00, so I'm taking it.

Thank you to all that replied,
That is a pretty good price to fly a bicycle, do you have a hard shell bicycle case? They are really pricey, but they can be rented from some shops, our club has 2 that we can use free of charge, first come, first served. Enjoy your time in Barbados, it should be really nice and warm there, mild this time of year.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-10-16, 06:52 AM
Dolanarc1

Yes, I have a hard case. A-C has a Caribbean deal that fly's sporting equipment including bikes,
Old 03-17-16, 09:49 AM
Dolanarc1

Just thought I would give you guy's an update. We went down to BBdo's from Mar3-13th. Did take my road bike. Got out every morning for between two and two and a half hours. Absolutley loved it. Mind you coming from -10c to +28c how could you not. I found riding on the left easy, I felt extremely safe with their drivers. They are much more courtious than many reviews. They have many fabulous climbs, (not my forte) on my last day there I had to climb three that were 8-12min long and average grades between 12-15%. And that was to cover a 10km distance. Practically killed me but I felt so good for doing it. There are many roads that I would say probably the worst that I've ever ridden for bumps, potholes and cracks. But there are many nice roads. I hooked up with some locals and they know all the good roads. Had one puncture, based on the roads I felt lucky that's all I had. I did wear out a Michelin rear tire. The roads are made from coral or something, took the rubber right off. All in all can't wait to go back.
Old 03-17-16, 10:58 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
And a thanks for the update. It verified what I though Barbados would be like on a bike..

Glad you had a good trip
Old 03-18-16, 11:52 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
That is a pretty good price to fly a bicycle, do you have a hard shell bicycle case? They are really pricey, but they can be rented from some shops, our club has 2 that we can use free of charge, first come, first served. Enjoy your time in Barbados, it should be really nice and warm there, mild this time of year.

Bill
I know this thread is from a month ago, but...

FWIW, Air Canada flies bicycles in their "free plastic bag" made for full sized bikes. I have taken my big touring bike with racks on it - only removed pedals and turned the handlebars and let out some air from the tires/tyres. The following (from the AC website) does not mention the free bags - but I have obtained them from check in at both YYZ and in London at LHR.

Check with Air Canada if possible - someone (a supervisor at an airport) may know.

aircanada.com - Sports Equipment