Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Plans for a pair of Bianchi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 08:59 AM
mktfarmhouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what is the plural of Bianchi :-)...

--- background (skip if you just want to get to the meat of the post)
Since moving to Missouri and having roads to ride on again vs just trails, my wife has been contemplating if she could ride a road bike still. She was looking for that cheap $50 road bike in Craigslist just to have one to bum around on and see. Well, we stumbled into a LBS and she saw a 1995(?) pink(!) Bianchi Eros. Now, a Celeste Bianchi road bike has been one of her dream bikes for a long time but this one was mint and well pink didn't hurt. The bike has just come in on trade and they had not gone over it yet so she asked if they would call her when it was ready for a test ride.

Skip forward a week and we had not heard from them (so we thought). We stopped by the LBS while in town and found the bike in back with a service ticket on it. Smart of them, they put my wife's name on the service ticket and marked the repair cost as the cost of the bike. Not a $50 craigslist bike but needless to say a test ride and a lot of hem-hawing around and she is now a road bike owner again.

My road bike is still in Wisconsin twenty years later in unknown condition, and my wife wants to learn to maintain her own bike. After discussing the options, the thought is we should own a pair of Bianchi road bikes that we micro-restored. Nothing too old, or too new. Goal is to have them on the road this spring at the latest and to ride the Red Shoe rider in Columbia MO next year. Hopefully we would be up to speed before then, but it is a pretty safe goal. We don't mind building on a frame, but on the other hand we don't want to spend a fortune looking for odd parts.

-- the plan
With the goals in mind, we have decided to start looking for a pair of 1998 Bianchi "road bikes" in 58cm +/-. We don't need (or even want) expensive. Willing to (re)paint in Celeste. The Eros she owns is plenty of bike for her and would be a good choice. They don't have the be actually built in 1998, just that the model was available then. (it is the year we first got together and being 20 years seems like a good stand between old and new. 2001 was the year we got married, so would be a strong contender if we needed to shift plans).

So the first question is what models were available in 1998 that would fit our goals? Any suggestions for suitable models? Ideas in general?

Thanks in advance,
Deron
Old 09-03-18, 11:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
That would be "a pair of Bianchii"

There was a Trofeo model for 1997 and 1998. Available in Celeste and Red Metallic. They came with lower end Campagnolo (Avanti and Mirage). The wheels were Campy on Miche hubs, and the Campy rims were nearly impossible to change tires on the road side. Very tight fit with the OEM Vittoria's.

They should be out there for decent prices. Steel, lugged, and I'd truly start with the frame and go from there. The components were pretty heavy.
Old 09-04-18, 08:09 AM
mktfarmhouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

I've managed to track down the names of at least some of the road bikes made that year. I've not seen Trofeos yet. I'm leaning towards Veloce, Campione or Eros. How would your rate the 98 Veloce? I've seen a 2001 Veloce with the carbon forks, which would be our second year choice (year we got married).

Might seem crazy to some folks, but we are really looking forward to this. Still organizing and cleaning the garage, but shaping up. I still have at least one box of bike tools I have not laid a hand on.

Deron
Old 09-04-18, 08:55 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Without getting into the higher racing models, Bianchi's 1998 road line-up was:

Premio: Shimano 300EX with triple crankset, $529 MSRP
Volpe: Shimano RSX with triple crankset and cantilever brakes, $619 MSRP
Trofeo: Campagnolo Avanti with triple crankset ,$819 MSRP
Eros: Campagnolo Avanti/Mirage mix with triple crankset, $1059 MSRP
Campione: Campagnolo Avanti/Mirage mix with double crankset, $1059 MSRP
Veloce: Campagnolo Veloce with double crankset,,$1500 MSRP
Alloro: Shimano Ultegra with double crankset, $1799 MSRP
Old 09-05-18, 09:05 AM
mktfarmhouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
[Trofeo] should be out there for decent prices. Steel, lugged, and I'd truly start with the frame and go from there. The components were pretty heavy.
This is the kind of information normally only bad choices can teach you! So would a Trofeo with better components be a better bike than a Veloce or Alloro with stock components? Or is the recommendation because I might actually find a pair of Trofeo? Is the frame the same between this and other models?

Thanks,
Deron
Old 09-05-18, 09:19 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Aw, man, you beat me to it. Bianchae? Bianchoses?
Old 09-05-18, 09:43 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,330 Times in 837 Posts
Bianchi is already plural. Edoardo Bianchi was "Edward White" of the family of Whites.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-08-18, 02:11 PM
Fswartz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There was a Trofeo model for 1997 and 1998. Available in Celeste and Red Metallic. They came with lower end Campagnolo (Avanti and Mirage). The wheels were Campy on Miche hubs, and the Campy rims were nearly impossible to change tires on the road side. Very tight fit with the OEM Vittoria's.

They should be out there for decent prices. Steel, lugged, and I'd truly start with the frame and go from there. The components were pretty heavy.
i have a red 1998 Trofeo I bought new in 1999, paid around $800. As mentioned above, Campy Avanti derailleurs/brakes/brifters; Rigida rims on Miche hubs, Ofmega crankset and bottom bracket, ITM stem and handlebars, Miche headset. All made in Italy except rims made in France.
Old 09-08-18, 04:08 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Unless the finish is super bad don't repaint. There are plenty of Celeste Bianchis out there already and some of the other colors are great looking bikes.

My '90 Boarala bought as a frame and built up with a internal real hub

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-10-18, 04:13 PM
mktfarmhouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike!

It would not be a top choice to repaint a non-Celeste Bianchi! However, we have about decided that a 57cm 1998 Veloce is what we are looking for. To get that specific does make it harder to find!
It is my understanding that some other models (and maybe even years) shared the same frame as the '98 Veloce. Any idea what models (and possibly years) shared the same frame?

Thanks,
Deron
Old 09-11-18, 06:56 AM
mktfarmhouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my wife on her 94 (or 95?) Pink Bianchi Eros.

Deron