Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen: He Was Right (Again)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen: He Was Right (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 02:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by pass the peas
What were you starting your day with before you switched to bacon and eggs?
A prairie oyster (sometimes also prairie cocktail) is a traditional drink consisting of a raw egg (often yolk alone), Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and/or hot sauce, table salt and ground black pepper. Tomato juice is sometimes also added, reminiscent of a Bloody Mary. The egg is broken into a glass so as not to break the yolk, which causes the drink to bear a similarity to the texture of an actual oyster when quickly swallowed, as is recommended. The concoction has been referred to as a traditional cure for hangovers, and has been seen in various media for decades.
Old 01-03-19, 02:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
But you lost me at carbs.
He lost me at the first sentence, but such is par for course with his musings. For example, whole grains are perfectly fine.
Old 01-03-19, 03:36 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
3 Simple RUles:

Eat lots and lots of veggie (main source of calory). Eat small portion meat, as condiment. Eat lots of fish and nuts. Eggs are good for you.
Meat isn't unhealthy. There's no need to restrict it to a small portion. Eating veggies is great though.
Choose Organic.
Organic food is a waste of money.
Avoid processed carbs like bread (even avoid whole grain), flour, rice, pasta, cookies, etc--ie stuff that comes in a box or plastic package.
Meh. In moderation, this is fine.
Old 01-03-19, 03:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Actually, the brain is the fatties organ in the body, made up of, at minimum, 60% fat.
Yes, but the fat part isn't the thinking part. Myelin (nerve sheaths) surround neurons and make up most of the brain fat ... some claim.

The myelin insulation around neural axons and glial cells, which is mostly lipid, brings the fat content of an animal brain to about 60%. (What percentage of the brain is fat) (And as far as I know, the most important thing in the body that fat does---protects our nerves---second being lubricating joints, I hear … but I am no doctor nor scientist.)

This (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20329590) goes on about essential fatty acids …. Quite interesting ….

But I had usually heard that it is childhood protein deficiency which lessened brain growth … and that when humans became bipedal their increased speed and mobility, field of vision (above ground cover,) and grasping/throwing ability improved their ability to hunt, increasing meat in the diet. I had never heard that the human race advanced because it discovered avocadoes.

This is interesting, and I will now start watching for research developments here … so thanks,. You bunch of fatheads.

In any case ... neither bacon nor eggs played a huge role in this evolutionary leap, .... sorry folks.

And for that matter, neither did Grant Petersen.
Old 01-03-19, 03:44 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

A prairie oyster (sometimes also prairie cocktail) is a traditional drink consisting of a raw egg (often yolk alone), Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and/or hot sauce, table salt and ground black pepper. Tomato juice is sometimes also added, reminiscent of a Bloody Mary. The egg is broken into a glass so as not to break the yolk, which causes the drink to bear a similarity to the texture of an actual oyster when quickly swallowed, as is recommended. The concoction has been referred to as a traditional cure for hangovers, and has been seen in various media for decades.
Not to be confused with mountain oysters -- which are pretty tasty, as long as you don't dwell too much on their origins.

Interestingly, I've lived on the prairie my entire life and I've never heard of a prairie oyster until today. I suspect it's in the same category as french fries, in terms of geographical veracity.
Old 01-03-19, 03:45 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I made 2 lbs of this the other day (with 1 tsp of crushed/ground Cayenne added).
Awesome stuff.

https://www.thekitchenwhisperer.net/...-man-candy-iv/
Old 01-03-19, 03:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

You do know there is an entirely different food known as prairie oysters, right? I suspect that one is also high in protein.
Old 01-03-19, 03:52 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Meat isn't unhealthy. There's no need to restrict it to a small portion. Eating veggies is great though.

Organic food is a waste of money.
Give organic meat a try...I think it taste better...besides being healthier for you and better for the environment.

I used to be skeptical.

I buy a whole organic chicken and a traditional caged chicken.
I cut them up.
The former is lean and looks like it was a healthy bird.
The latter is is full of fat...it looks like it was an obese bird.

The former taste better imo.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 01-03-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 04:04 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yes, but the fat part isn't the thinking part. Myelin (nerve sheaths) surround neurons and make up most of the brain fat ... some claim.

The myelin insulation around neural axons and glial cells, which is mostly lipid, brings the fat content of an animal brain to about 60%. (What percentage of the brain is fat) (And as far as I know, the most important thing in the body that fat does---protects our nerves---second being lubricating joints, I hear … but I am no doctor nor scientist.)

This (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20329590) goes on about essential fatty acids …. Quite interesting ….

But I had usually heard that it is childhood protein deficiency which lessened brain growth … and that when humans became bipedal their increased speed and mobility, field of vision (above ground cover,) and grasping/throwing ability improved their ability to hunt, increasing meat in the diet. I had never heard that the human race advanced because it discovered avocadoes.

This is interesting, and I will now start watching for research developments here … so thanks,. You bunch of fatheads.

In any case ... neither bacon nor eggs played a huge role in this evolutionary leap, .... sorry folks.

And for that matter, neither did Grant Petersen.
My point wasn't that protein didn't matter. As for deficiencies, some parents began restricting fat in their children's diets once people got on the low fat kick, whihc is very detrimental to brain development in kids. They should not have fat restricted before age 2 as a result.

The overall point, is that both fat and protein matter for brain development, and general health actually. Completely restricting one or the other isn't necessarily a good idea.
Old 01-03-19, 04:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-03-19, 04:11 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Give organic meat a try...I think it taste better...besides being healthier for you
This is false.

and better for the environment.
This is also false.

I'm not surprised that many folks are duped by "organic" marketing though.

Last edited by ogmtb; 01-03-19 at 05:04 PM. Reason: emphasis
Old 01-03-19, 04:56 PM
OBoile

Give organic meat a try...I think it taste better...besides being healthier for you and better for the environment.

I used to be skeptical.

I buy a whole organic chicken and a traditional caged chicken.
I cut them up.
The former is lean and looks like it was a healthy bird.
The latter is is full of fat...it looks like it was an obese bird.

The former taste better imo.
I use grass fed (and finished) beef. We (my wife and I) buy a 1/4 cow each year.
I also eat free range chickens and pigs purchased specifically from a farm that sells them. Note that "organic" does not necessarily mean the animal is not kept in a cage.

It's all still a waste of money from a nutrition perspective, or would be if we weren't able to skip the middle man. We do it because it makes my wife feel good that the animals weren't kept in a cage.
Old 01-03-19, 04:58 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by ogmtb
This is false.
I do notice a very slight difference in taste between my grass fed beef and regular beef. The grass fed beef is a bit more "gamey" tasting. I'm not sure I like it better though.
As for health, it may be slightly better, but the difference, if any, is very small IMO.

This is also false.

I'm not surprised that many folks are duped by "organic" marketing though.
Agreed.
Old 01-03-19, 05:38 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Eat more bacon and be happy. Not a single one of us gets out of this world alive, so eat more bacon and enjoy the time you have here on earth.

The Bstone catalogs were pure marketing genius. Very well done, and I have a copy of each one, so eat your hearts out!
Old 01-03-19, 06:09 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
This is false.

Guess that settles it. Can't get more conclusive than that.
Old 01-03-19, 06:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Just don't eat marsupials .....
Old 01-03-19, 06:25 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon c.
Guess that settles it. Can't get more conclusive than that.
For folks who aren’t lazy and/or incompetent, there’s a great deal of information about the organic industry and their false marketing narratives just a few key strokes and mouse clicks away.

Old 01-03-19, 06:27 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Not sure how Grant telling you to eat bacon somehow relieved your "guilt" but ok? Seems an odd source for moral forgiveness.

Eat what you want but don't try to pretend you need to eat meat to be healthy. You eat it because you want to. Just own it instead of looking for excuses from bicycle tire salesmen - no good can come from that.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-03-19 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 06:38 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
Standard disclaimer: I am only reporting my personal experiences, not making any medical recommendations. Use your own personal discretion and judgement.
Good thing, since no one can disagree with your claimed personal experience. Otherwise, that's as far as it goes.
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Not sure how Grant telling you to eat bacon somehow relieved your "guilt" but ok? Seems an odd source for moral forgiveness.

Eat what you want but don't try to pretend you need to eat meat to be healthy. You eat it because you want to. Just own it instead of looking for excuses from bicycle tire salesmen - no good can come from that.
Not to mention no link for validation of interpretation and/or context.
Old 01-03-19, 06:45 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I like to buy many items that are organic, whether labeled or not. I don't like eating/drinking/ingesting pesticides. I don't like injected hormones, steroids or any other weird stuff they put in cows to fatten them up. It's imoral to put a pig in a cage that she can't even turn around in for years, her only purpose to produce baby pigs until she cannot anymore. Let the pigs live out their lives in better conditions. Let cows eat grass like they are suppose to, and quit injecting them with crap just to fatten them up. We can do better than that!
Old 01-03-19, 06:45 PM
Maelochs

Ogmtb --- i know farmers who really do grow organic, clean water and clean soil and natural fertilizers and everything except filtered air.

Sorry you can only think in terms of corporations. Did a can of commercial organic beans insult one of your family members or something?

Some of us know that almost ALL marketing is lie-based--and still don't bubble over with vitriol.

You are no better than what you hate.
Old 01-03-19, 06:49 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts

For folks who aren’t lazy and/or incompetent, there’s a great deal of information about the organic industry and their false marketing narratives just a few key strokes and mouse clicks away.

And possessing a good sense of humor I see.
Old 01-03-19, 06:51 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ogmtb --- i know farmers who really do grow organic, clean water and clean soil and natural fertilizers and everything except filtered air.

Sorry you can only think in terms of corporations. Did a can of commercial organic beans insult one of your family members or something?

Some of us know that almost ALL marketing is lie-based--and still don't bubble over with vitriol.

You are no better than what you hate.
Ah, another marketing victim.

Also, your many false assumptions about me do speak volumes about you, and your confusion.

That’s really sad.
Old 01-03-19, 06:53 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Let us eat healthy cows, not sick ones. Let us eat potatoes and blueberries without bug poisons inside them!
Old 01-03-19, 06:59 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gconan
I like to buy many items that are organic, whether labeled or not. I don't like eating/drinking/ingesting pesticides.
I have some really bad news for you about the organic pesticides that you are eating/drinking/ingesting.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-agriculture/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.