Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen: He Was Right (Again)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen: He Was Right (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 07:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb

Ah, another marketing victim.

Also, your many false assumptions about me do speak volumes about you, and your confusion.

That’s really sad.
okay, I'll bite. EXACTLY how am I "another marketing victim."

You said it, now support it.
Old 01-03-19, 07:12 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
okay, I'll bite. EXACTLY how am I "another marketing victim."

You said it, now support it.
Your use of one the organic industry’s common marketing themes - it’s the little organic guy(hero!) vs. corporate farmers(villains!).

”Sorry you can only think in terms of corporations.”
Old 01-03-19, 07:37 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb

I have some really bad news for you about the organic pesticides that you are eating/drinking/ingesting.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-agriculture/
Thank you for the link. It was a propaganda piece in my opinion, but when I saw the high praise for Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
crops it sealed it. Thanks anyway though.
Old 01-03-19, 07:43 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gconan
Thank you for the link. It was a propaganda piece in my opinion, but when I saw the high praise for GMO crops it sealed it. Thanks anyway though.
Yeah, a propaganda piece with 18 peer reviewed studies foot-noted.

Also, if The Scientific American is propaganda in your world it’s no wonder you also buy into the “GMO = bad” marketing lies.

So so many victims...
Old 01-03-19, 07:55 PM
Gconan

Bought and paid for. Look at the way it is written. You must be in the industry.
Old 01-03-19, 08:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Didn't take long for omgtb to give away whatever credibility he might have been granted through benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-03-19, 08:11 PM
Gconan

I quite reading when I came across the "wonderful", shameless plug for GMO's.
Old 01-03-19, 08:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Grant Peterson and Donald Trump are both masters of the "getting attention" school of marketing.

It doesn't matter whether you love me or hate me as long as you are paying attention to me.

The worst thing that can happen to either is that we forget they are there for a moment, or two, or three.

A rap star was asked how to be successful. He replied, "You just gotta make a lot of noise"

-Tim-
Old 01-03-19, 08:43 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
No one gives Peterson or Trump more attention than their detractors. And Peterson is NO Trump fan.
Old 01-03-19, 08:53 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Thank you for the link. It was a propaganda piece in my opinion, but when I saw the high praise for Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
crops it sealed it. Thanks anyway though.
There's nothing wrong with GMO crops. And the other guy is right, organic pesticides are often just as bad as regular ones.

If you, or anyone else wants to eat organic food fine. But, there has been no proven health benefit to doing so.
Old 01-03-19, 08:57 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I quite reading when I came across the "wonderful", shameless plug for GMO's.
What's wrong with GMO's specifically? Other than a vague fear based reaction? Almost everything we eat is genetically modified from it's original form. Do we reject the taste of the non gmo potato or tomato we eat today even though it doesn't resemble even remotely its ancestor in any shape or form. The benefits of grains with high yields? The affordability of milk because of how much the cow delivers? The reduced price of chicken because of the accelerated time it takes to mature to market? All those are just a few of the benefits we derive from non gmo genetically modified foods right now.

Frankly, I think the anti gmo fad is something only a person with plentiful secure food sources could ascribe to. The rest of the world is trying to scrape by in subsistence due to drought, infestation and lack of capacity to invest in intensive agricultural solutions. Most of the world is hungry and I'm loath to reject without hard science, solutions that create drought tolerance, pest tolerant, weed tolerant, higher yielding, more nutritious food sources just because of how they were developed.

Not a lot of complaint about cardiac patients having pig valves inserted into human hearts. Talk about Frankenstein science that doesn't seem to bother anyone.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-03-19 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 09:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
What's wrong with GMO's specifically?
My concern with GMOs is not so much that they are unsafe to eat, but rather how they are grown and what it means to have a multinational corporation in control of our food supply. Crops engineered to resist herbicides encourage farmers to use toxic herbicides on the crops, and as herbicide resistance spreads into weed plants, farmers will use more herbicides and more toxic herbicides to attempt to control those weeds. GMO pollen has already contaminated organic crops in Oregon, meaning that organic farmers can no longer market their crops as organic. This has cost those farmers their export markets in Europe and Asia, where GMO crops are more regulated than here. And farmers using GMO seed are prohibited from saving seed from their harvest to plant the next year's crop, instead having to purchase seed from the multinational corporation every year, compromising their independence. Crops engineered to produce their own pesticide (e.g. Bt toxin) have unknown long term human health consequences, and may also adversely affect non-target insects including important pollinator species (e.g. https://www.enveurope.com/content/pdf...014-0024-3.pdf). Finally, there is precious little evidence that GMO crops are more productive than ordinary crops (e.g. https://cdn3.ewg.org/sites/default/fi...MOs%202015.pdf).
Old 01-03-19, 09:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Eat Bacon, Don't Jog, by Grant Petersen

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-03-19, 09:47 PM
Gconan

What's wrong with GMO's specifically? Other than a vague fear based reaction? Almost everything we eat is genetically modified from it's original form.
​​
You are greatly mistaken. Nothing I eat is GMO. You have mistaken hybridization for Genetically Modified Organism. Two different things.

Do we reject the taste of the non gmo potato or tomato we eat today even though it doesn't resemble even remotely its ancestor in any shape or form.
No. This has absolutely nothing to do with GMO's. Why confuse the two separate things?

The benefits of grains with high yields?
It has been argued that wheat is ruined, and there is a reason that so many people are now allergic to it. That the quality has been lost. But again, what does this have to do with GMO's? They are separate things.

The affordability of milk because of how much the cow delivers? The reduced price of chicken because of the accelerated time it takes to mature to market? All those are just a few of the benefits we derive from non gmo genetically modified foods right now.
These are not benefits to the consumer, but unhealthy. Your Grandparents had quality milk AND chickens because they were not injected with hormones and feed crap. But this was changed simply for the producer to make more profit without regard for people's health.
​​​​
Old 01-03-19, 09:51 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
My concern with GMOs is not so much that they are unsafe to eat, but rather how they are grown and what it means to have a multinational corporation in control of our food supply. Crops engineered to resist herbicides encourage farmers to use toxic herbicides on the crops, and as herbicide resistance spreads into weed plants, farmers will use more herbicides and more toxic herbicides to attempt to control those weeds. GMO pollen has already contaminated organic crops in Oregon, meaning that organic farmers can no longer market their crops as organic. This has cost those farmers their export markets in Europe and Asia, where GMO crops are more regulated than here. And farmers using GMO seed are prohibited from saving seed from their harvest to plant the next year's crop, instead having to purchase seed from the multinational corporation every year, compromising their independence. Crops engineered to produce their own pesticide (e.g. Bt toxin) have unknown long term human health consequences, and may also adversely affect non-target insects including important pollinator species (e.g. https://www.enveurope.com/content/pdf...014-0024-3.pdf). Finally, there is precious little evidence that GMO crops are more productive than ordinary crops (e.g. https://cdn3.ewg.org/sites/default/fi...MOs%202015.pdf).
You raise several issues, some of them having stand alone merit. I respect those issues yet the current bias against GMO's mixes them all together in a fear based way so that there is no coherent way to deal with them other than overall rejection.

1. Control of food supplies and seed stock. Yes and no. But it's already a controlled environment as far as large scale agriculture goes. Big production doesn't preserve it's own seed stock and supply of non gmo sources is as corporately controlled as gmo sources. Sure, a business may own the right to seed stock they develop but non GMO seed stock producers also own their rights. They don't give the seed away. The only reason that wouldn't change (allowing more diversification) is that smaller scale operations still reject gmo and thus, do not enter the market.

2. encroachment into non gmo stock. Again, yes and no. However, non gmo pollen travels just as easily yet is not targeted with the same concern for tainting otherwise single strain seed stock. And, while the organic label may seem appealing, it as somewhat based on fuzzy science for the most part. For example, the plant does not distinguish between manure fertilizers and fertilizer salts. All break down to the same ionic forms when taken up by the plant.

3. Pesticide resistance. Resistant stock reduces the amount of general pesticide needed and allows a more targeted application to those that aren't. I worked in the greenhouse industry for a decade as a grower and one of my roles was spraying and given the choice to using lots of general application chemical vs less but more targeted chemicals we always chose the latter because we also used beneficial biological agents to control pests and as pollinators (honey bees), which would be killed by mass general applications. You still need to control the pests that infest intensive monoculture crops somehow. You mention Bt specifically but do you know that the alternative is mass spraying of it in liquid form as a control. All of your crop and anything in/on it is affected and you just hope that the grower waits the recommended period before harvest. They developed Bt producing plants because of the excess spray that was otherwise the default.

4. One control measure to ensure adherence to laws surrounding non gmo crop production is governmental or regulatory bodies which is really just another form of corporate control of an industry (hence the push back from foreign organic regulators on those NA producers). Yet outside control is the complaint against GMO production. Seems those producers are being controlled by a large body regardless.

In the end, while there may be problems associated with gmo production, as there is with any other method (noticed food poisoning issues in organic crops) they cannot be solved effectively by prohibition any less than the problems surrounding alcohol were. We will never eliminate gmo production because it solves far more problems than it creates for a world surpassing 7 billion and counting.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-03-19 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 09:56 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Ah, the ole “saving seeds” malarkey (https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...atented-seeds/) with a chaser from an Organic industry scare mongering group (https://www.activistfacts.com/organi...working-group/. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kavinse...u-to-pick-one/

Awesome!
Old 01-03-19, 09:59 PM
Happy Feet

​​
You are greatly mistaken. Nothing I eat is GMO. You have mistaken hybridization for Genetically Modified Organism. Two different things.

No. This has absolutely nothing to do with GMO's. Why confuse the two separate things?

It has been argued that wheat is ruined, and there is a reason that so many people are now allergic to it. That the quality has been lost. But again, what does this have to do with GMO's? They are separate things.

These are not benefits to the consumer, but unhealthy. Your Grandparents had quality milk AND chickens because they were not injected with hormones and feed crap. But this was changed simply for the producer to make more profit without regard for people's health.
​​​​
Delusional much? The only difference between natural genetic modification (hybridization) and genetic manipulation is time.
Wheat is ruined today? Grandparents healthier? Uhh... was that when there was mass famine from crop failure or they died because of simple infections or got rickets from unfortified flour? When they died by the millions from Spanish influenza for lack of immunization? If I were born before the age of blood transfusions (about only 100 years ago) I would have been dead at 6 months. We are bigger, stronger and smarter than ever before. Seems life expectancy is higher now than then but perhaps they all just died healthy?

One example of the benefits of genetic manipulation is the potato which is perhaps, the most ongoing modified food there is. Having witnessed the mass famine caused by a lack of resistance to simple bacterial blight in Ireland leading to the exodus of one nations refuges for another, scientists now manipulate the genetics of the lowly potato to keep it continually resistant to the bacteria which is also always seeking to evolve and over come that resistance. A beautiful and continuous genetic dance.

All that improved growing "crap" is partly due to the fact that we now have to feed 7billion people as compared to a few villagers here and there. Try doing that with old school organic methodology.

Just keep telling yourself that organism that was hybridized by genetic modification isn't a genetically modified organism

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-03-19 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 06:53 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
All that improved growing "crap" is partly due to the fact that we now have to feed 7billion people as compared to a few villagers here and there. Try doing that with old school organic methodology.
Soylent Green here we come. I understand it's better than bacon.
Old 01-04-19, 07:12 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Nothing is better than bacon.
Old 01-04-19, 08:34 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Yeah, this thread took a turn I wasn't expecting.

Grant was right however about a few things:
  • Wide Tires
  • Flared Handlebars
  • Bacon
  • The RB-1
Old 01-04-19, 09:39 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I suppose if a person's diet were deficient in fat and protein ... any source would work, plant or animal. After all, the body digests the stuff into component parts and reassembles it as needed. the idea that eggs and bacon are magic .... or that cycling is best done in street clothes on metal bicycles .....
No, no Maelochs ol'buddy, you're missing something! The bacon ENABLES the metal bikes! It's all a BIOTECHNICAL SYSTEM!

Why? That will be explained in my upcoming seminar planned for this March! You may contact my event management service.

Seriously, if possible, this sounds a lot like a consultant giving a seminar I attended last Fall. I might go to the March seminar, but ... it's on my own ticket this time.

I don't think there's anything magic about bacon and eggs, but I have found that old adage about eating a "good" breakfast to start the day works for me. But while bacon or sausage and eggs are favorites (man = dog?), I've had the same response with rice+bean based dishes, amino acid complementarity to max out extracted protein. There was a great veg restaurant in Denver, "Healthy Habits," which was a close second to the classic B+E.

But I'm not really a vegetarian.
Old 01-04-19, 10:02 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Give organic meat a try...I think it taste better...besides being healthier for you and better for the environment.

I used to be skeptical.

I buy a whole organic chicken and a traditional caged chicken.
I cut them up.
The former is lean and looks like it was a healthy bird.
The latter is is full of fat...it looks like it was an obese bird.

The former taste better imo.
Maybe I read too much Internet crap, but as I understand it one of the keys to officially organic meat is the elimination of antibiotics from the animals, based on feed and treatment. I'm not gonna get into this part further, it deserves another thread, probably in P&R. It's certain rant-bait.
Old 01-04-19, 10:57 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
No idea who Grant Petersen is, but I'm new to cycling.

Experiment of one here, dropped 85lbs and have kept it off for over six years. Went from not being able to run at all, to a 2:56 marathon @ 185lbs, fueled on beer, burgers, pizza, bacon, eggs, and whatever the hell else I want to eat. Yes, I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, but I also eat a ton of refined carbs/grains, I have to in order to be able to sustain the level of activity my body has become accustomed to, plus they're delicious. I eat a lot of meat, a lot of runners (and probably cyclists too) don't get enough protein, they think protein is for body builders. If you want your muscles to get stronger (not just bigger), then you need protein.

Not even gonna touch the organic/gmo discussion, do whatever works for you, spend your money wherever you want (kind of like bikes/parts lol).
Old 01-04-19, 11:14 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Low carb, high bacon diet. ( I too suspect you were low on protein.) How's that saying go? "All things in moderation, including moderation?"

that is hilariously, the most American thing I could ever imagine. Even more so than a bacon cheeseburger served on a glazed donut bun.
Old 01-04-19, 11:56 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
People are free to eat bacon and eggs every day to reduce pain.

Just keep in mind that heart attacks can be painful as well, that's all.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.