Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best cycling travel destinations you've been to

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-18, 10:56 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

The winter weather has me thinking about summer and road trips and checking out some new cycling areas. Plus the open road thread has me interested in seeing some other parts of the world/country. So...

What are some of the best cycling destinations you've been to? I'm NOT looking carry all my gear with me in a pannier and camp along the way. That's not my style nor what I'm looking for.

What I am interested in though are areas where you've flown to and done a 'cycling destination' kinda holiday. I'd be interested in reading if you brought your bikes, what the cost was like, if the organizers moved your gear from villa to villa each night, etc.

Either that, or if you did a road trip from where you live to a local in your country/state/provide and set up shop in a B&B (or whatever) and used it as a based camp to launch different routes each day. If you did this, how did you find out about the routes and where to go.

Feel free to share any pictures of your adventures too. Thanks!
Old 11-23-18, 10:58 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Old 11-23-18, 11:20 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
My wife and I rode from the English Channel to the Med with Peak Cycling last summer.
14 days, no off days, tons of climbing. It was hard, but stunning. Every day was more amazing than the day before. Climbing Mount Ventoux was unreal. Riding through Gorges de Verdon was stunningly beautiful. And I can't say enough good things about Peak. our tour company.

https://www.peak-tours.com/shop/channel-to-the-med/
Old 11-23-18, 11:32 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The North Cascades. Seriously. It's my back yard now, but I moved from Connecticut to be near the place. It's the American Alps, you get to ride by glaciers and volcanoes.
Old 11-23-18, 11:36 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Cloudcroft, New Mexico is a hidden cycling gem. I went there when I lived in El Paso. Great roads with killer climbs, mountain bike trails, lots of cabin rentals and they have bed and breakfast's. It's a little village on top of a mountain. In May they have a 2 day bike festival with an XC race.

Old 11-23-18, 12:46 PM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The North Cascades. Seriously. It's my back yard now, but I moved from Connecticut to be near the place. It's the American Alps, you get to ride by glaciers and volcanoes.
North Cascades sounds pretty good. It's relatively close to home for me and the ability to ride by glaciers and volcanoes sound wicked. Where would you recommend setting up a home base to get the most variety of rides?

Originally Posted by cccorlew
My wife and I rode from the English Channel to the Med with Peak Cycling last summer.
14 days, no off days, tons of climbing. It was hard, but stunning. Every day was more amazing than the day before. Climbing Mount Ventoux was unreal. Riding through Gorges de Verdon was stunningly beautiful. And I can't say enough good things about Peak. our tour company.

Thanks for this. Did you bring your bikes with you when you traveled? And did the tour people take your gear with you from location to location?

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Cloudcroft, New Mexico is a hidden cycling gem. I went there when I lived in El Paso. Great roads with killer climbs, mountain bike trails, lots of cabin rentals and they have bed and breakfast's. It's a little village on top of a mountain. In May they have a 2 day bike festival with an XC race.
Would you recommend staying in El Paso and launching your rides out from there? How did you find your rides/routes? Also, we wouldn't be doing mount bike, it would strictly be road. Any issues with that?
Old 11-23-18, 02:47 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
We took our bikes, because I love my bike and didn't want to do something this hard on a borrowed bike. They do offer rentals.
We carried them in EVOC bags. United charged too much, but didn't hurt them.
Peak carried our luggage from hotel to hotel.

Another option we've used, and loved: Adventure cycling.
We rode their van supported multi week trips (they carry your stuff, but you camp and share cooking) and ridden fron South Lake Tahoe to Portland and also Portland to Canada.
We also did their fully supported catered rides of a week through Montana and Oregon. Really good folks, really good rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccorlew

Thanks for this. Did you bring your bikes with you when you traveled? And did the tour people take your gear with you from location to location?
Old 11-23-18, 03:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,930 Times in 4,162 Posts
Girona is quite nice. I have heard same thing about Mallorca.
Old 11-23-18, 03:11 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Would you recommend staying in El Paso and launching your rides out from there? How did you find your rides/routes? Also, we wouldn't be doing mount bike, it would strictly be road. Any issues with that?
Stay at Cloudcroft, El Paso is too far away. Plenty of good roads, just look it up on google maps.
Old 11-23-18, 03:38 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass

noted for a future trip. thanks!
Old 11-23-18, 03:39 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

still trying to get to ncnp...someday.
Old 11-23-18, 04:35 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tuscany Italy is great. Self guided tour. Rented bikes from a company there.

Colorado. Many, many miles riden there. Tons of options to fit whatever you are looking for. Great cycling!!! Love Colorado. Wonderful road cycling and mountain biking. We bring our own bikes.

Gold country California. Volcano, Sutter Creek, Amador county area. All the wine country nearby. Sonoma county, Napa Valley, etc. Bill Oetinger has some nice cycling maps of the are. Wonderful place to tour. We bring our own bikes.

Moab Utah. Great mountain biking destination.

California coast is also really nice. Pair that with side trips into the coast range. Places like Occidental, Fort Hunter Liggett.
Use our own bikes.

Hawaii. Kind of limited but was fun. Brought our bike, rode around Hanna road loop, up Haleakala and some other places.

So much more but these are a few places to consider.

Happy cycling.
Old 11-23-18, 05:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

North Cascades sounds pretty good. It's relatively close to home for me and the ability to ride by glaciers and volcanoes sound wicked. Where would you recommend setting up a home base to get the most variety of rides?
Winthrop is a great choice. Excellent hotels and cabins (I can recommend specific ones if useful), a few restaurants, and good coffee. Washington Pass is a great paved climb, so is Sun Mountain, Harts Pass is unbeatable if you can do gravel. About 50 gorgeous miles away there's a turquoise glacial lake with giant mountains towering over it. A little further and you're at Baker, which is a lot like Rainier but nicer.

I'll post some photos and where they're from when I get to a computer.
Old 11-23-18, 06:07 PM
on the path
Seńor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Tucson. I was there this past February. I contributed to a previous thread, starting with post 85 (see link below). Read the thread from the beginning when you have time. The OP wrote a great story and posted some great pics.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...on-pics-4.html

Last edited by on the path; 11-23-18 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-23-18, 06:46 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Shameless plug for my friend, John, the twin son of a different mother, who runs Cycle Holidays Ireland. It is a locally conceived, locally run, magical tour in a magical place. He'll provide the bikes, transfers, lodging, food, history, music and stories. There is no better way to spend a week.
Old 11-23-18, 07:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
still trying to get to ncnp...someday.
Drop a line when you do!
Old 11-23-18, 07:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The winter weather has me thinking about summer and road trips and checking out some new cycling areas. Plus the open road thread has me interested in seeing some other parts of the world/country. So...

What are some of the best cycling destinations you've been to? I'm NOT looking carry all my gear with me in a pannier and camp along the way. That's not my style nor what I'm looking for.

What I am interested in though are areas where you've flown to and done a 'cycling destination' kinda holiday. I'd be interested in reading if you brought your bikes, what the cost was like, if the organizers moved your gear from villa to villa each night, etc.

Either that, or if you did a road trip from where you live to a local in your country/state/provide and set up shop in a B&B (or whatever) and used it as a based camp to launch different routes each day. If you did this, how did you find out about the routes and where to go.

Feel free to share any pictures of your adventures too. Thanks!
You're talking about hub-and-spoke tours.

West coast of France would lend itself to something like that. You'd stay in cabins & hotels.

Brisbane was really nice a couple Easter's ago. We stayed in a great cabin, rode a 300K randonnee, and then spent the rest of the time cycling in different directions.
Old 11-24-18, 02:38 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Drop a line when you do!
will do.
Old 11-24-18, 06:27 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Sri Lanka seems to attract some of the most eccentric cyclists the world has seen...been meaning to check it out.

I do enjoy Shenandoah Park VA, Vermont, and Lake Placid area.
Old 11-24-18, 10:44 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I rented a bike when I went to France. Stayed in St Remy - it was awesome
I took my own bike to Spain, stayed just outside Malaga - also awesome but really hot! Flying with the bike was cheaper than renting, but it can be a hassle if you are not flying direct.
I took my bike to Palm Desert, Ca, really good riding there.
Leaving for Hawaii next week, just packing my bike up now
Old 11-24-18, 05:03 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sticking to the US :

Portland, Oregon - Great cycling city with lots of fun rides just outside the city. Columbia River gorge is spectacular.
Colorado - Tons of great routes, lots of climbing, gorgeous scenery.
Eastern Sierras (California) - Some of the most most epic climbs in the country.
Bay Area, particularly Marin/Sonoma - Tons of great riding, good weather, and good cycling infrastructure.
Old 11-25-18, 01:13 PM
NoWhammies

Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. So many destinations and so little time/money...

@Seattle Forrest your suggestion for Winthrop might win the day as it's relatively close to home and from the sounds of it great cycling. Any decision will have to be approved by the travel committee (i.e. the wife). The suggestion for places to say is most appreciated. No rush as we won't be doing any kind of cycling trips until the summer. I'm just trying get some ideas so we have something to look forward to over the winter months.

@tinrobot I like the idea of riding down in Colorado too. I love to climb (the wife, not so much) but the scenery is incredible. Might have to look in to some locations/ideas there too. Of course Portland is equally appealing, especially with all of those craft breweries!

All those suggestions to head over to Europe are definitely appealing! Neither of us have ever been over to Europe and I think doing a bike tour (where they drag our gear from place to place, as opposed to using panniers) would be a great way to see the country. I have some friends who have done cycle trips over to Europe, so maybe I need to pick their brains over a beer or three to see what they can recommend too. Of course I do have some concerns with not being able to DO everything Europe has to offer, since a lot of time will be spend riding from a to b, but I suppose no one can do it all.
Old 11-26-18, 01:15 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I rented a bike in the Pyrenees and wished I hadn't. Partly because the Kuota I rented wasn't as good as my Cannondale, partly because even if it was better there's a feeling of "not doing it with your own gear." Plenty of hostel and hotel options throughout the region; we stayed in Bagneres de Bigorre and drove to the foot of whichever mountain we wanted to ride that day.

I also rented on Maui, but I only wanted to do 1 ride (Haleakala). The Roubaix I rented was lighter and probably better than my CAAD10, and certainly had better gearing. But I still would have preferred have my own bike.
Old 11-26-18, 04:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. So many destinations and so little time/money...

@Seattle Forrest your suggestion for Winthrop might win the day as it's relatively close to home and from the sounds of it great cycling. Any decision will have to be approved by the travel committee (i.e. the wife). The suggestion for places to say is most appreciated. No rush as we won't be doing any kind of cycling trips until the summer. I'm just trying get some ideas so we have something to look forward to over the winter months.

@tinrobot I like the idea of riding down in Colorado too. I love to climb (the wife, not so much) but the scenery is incredible. Might have to look in to some locations/ideas there too. Of course Portland is equally appealing, especially with all of those craft breweries!

All those suggestions to head over to Europe are definitely appealing! Neither of us have ever been over to Europe and I think doing a bike tour (where they drag our gear from place to place, as opposed to using panniers) would be a great way to see the country. I have some friends who have done cycle trips over to Europe, so maybe I need to pick their brains over a beer or three to see what they can recommend too. Of course I do have some concerns with not being able to DO everything Europe has to offer, since a lot of time will be spend riding from a to b, but I suppose no one can do it all.

You won't be able to do everything Europe has to offer, even if you rented a car and even if you lived there for several years.

The area of Europe is: 10.18 million km˛
The area of USA is: 9.834 million km˛

Pick several things you'd like to see and do within a reasonable distance of each other ... then keep going back.
Old 11-26-18, 04:53 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Although I've not been to Taiwan, but a lot of cycling my friends have done all manner of cycling there -- from touring packages to the "infamous" Wuling climb -- and loved it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.