Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Non-folding 20" inch wheel commuter?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Non-folding 20" inch wheel commuter?

Old 08-22-16, 09:14 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sibkey
if you're taller than 6ft - forget about minivelo
no.
Old 08-22-16, 09:18 PM
sibkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
no.
yes)))
there's not many minivelos with ett more than 53 cm
maybe i'm wrong, pls correct me)

Last edited by sibkey; 08-22-16 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 09:39 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
An L size Dahon Dash Altena would certainly accomodate a 6-foot person. These are the size specs on the Dahon Japan website:

Rider Hight Range [M]157~172cm [L]170~193cm
Saddle to Pedal [M]Min:710㎜ Max:930㎜ [L]Min:750㎜ Max:970㎜
Old 08-22-16, 09:42 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
yes)))
there's not many minivelos with ett more than 53 cm
maybe i'm wrong, pls correct me)
well, going by frame size alone can be a little deceptive. it's really about the cockpit. between crankarm, seatpost, and stem length, it's possible to get a reasonably good fit for someone taller. of course, there are limits..
Old 08-22-16, 10:00 PM
sibkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have 2 minivelos - with 530 and 560 ett. i'm 5'11" and think that 6', maybe little more is maximum for this ett.
of course you can install long stem, bullhorn and layback seatpost - but this is not option (on my opinion).

about dash altena - i doubt about 193 cm) when i asked dahon china about this bike they said - 185, not more for comfort riding and great appearance)
Old 08-22-16, 11:31 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

about dash altena - i doubt about 193 cm) when i asked dahon china about this bike they said - 185, not more for comfort riding and great appearance)
Ok, fine. Let's go with Dahon China's rather than Dahon Japan's numbers. 185mm is about 6feet and one inch. There. 6'1" by your own reckoning.
Old 08-22-16, 11:45 PM
sibkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Ok, fine. Let's go with Dahon China's rather than Dahon Japan's numbers. 185mm is about 6feet and one inch. There. 6'1" by your own reckoning.
yes, as i wrote not many models for tall riders. 99,9% of frames for up to 180-185 cm riders maximum.

try to buy Dash Altena) only in South-East Asia. or with unreasonable shipping price.

if some tall man want to ride minivelo - there's no problem to weld custom frame
Old 08-25-16, 02:23 AM
Abu Mahendra

I actually think the SOMA and the Nano are unbalanced and overly rear biased. Compare for example where the seatstay/seat tube/top tube intersection sits relative to the wheel. The Soma's is rearwards of the rim's brake track while the Altena's is in front of the wheel. Also look at the very short chain stay on the Soma. Heel strike is assured with panniers. Finally, look at the upward slope of the chain stay resulting in a higher bottom bracket on the Altena, reducing the chance of pedal strike. It appears that Soma simply shrunk a roadbike without correcting for the reduced size, forgetting that a minivelo is not simply a mini velo. IMO SOMA didn't get it quite right, and it's rather a one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

Look at where the seatstay/seat tube/top tube intersection sits relative to the wheel on this bike:

This one has a wheelbase of just 93cm, yet manages to place this crucial point in front of the rear wheel.

...and this one:

...and this one:

...and this one:

Ditto for the Tyrells and the Bobbin Metric below.

Originally Posted by smallwheeler

i think soma got it right with their mini. the 55cm size had a wheelbase of 1010mm. for reference, a brompton is 1050mm and that's a very important factor in smoothing out the ride and improving the handling on 16" wheels, in that case.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-25-16 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 05:58 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
... Finally, look at the upward slope of the chain stay resulting in a higher bottom bracket on the Altena, reducing the chance of pedal strike.

...and this one:

This one would benefit from some air in the tyres to get a higher BB
Old 09-07-16, 10:16 AM
ckarr
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
regarding abu's criticism of the soma, the seat tube of the angle of the soma is more relaxed, i actually prefer that, i am currently riding a dutch cruiser bike and it is a good bike for commuting. the other mini velo bike's seattubes are more forward leaning, think like a road bike or track bike, more weight on your hands( but they at least you will go faster in that lower position.)

(as for the soma, the purist in me would prefer the seattube and the head tube to be paralel, the soma doesn't have that, so it does look a bit funny, but the paint job and everything else is good).

(read that this soma is discontinued, such a shame since it was one of the better looking mini velo bikes out there)

too bad these mini velo bikes dont' come with step thru frames, swing your leg over a high top tube to ride your bike is a bit weird to me now.

these mini velo bikes dont seem to have much options for tall guys. i might seriously consider one if it had bigger sizes. such a shame.

edit, thought i would add this, here is one of the better looking mini velo bikes i found ont he internet (the blue one)

edit, here is the soma (note it is a woman that is riding it, a man on the bike would make it look even smaller)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
soma_mini_velo_bart_blog.jpg (97.5 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by ckarr; 09-07-16 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 05:15 AM
Rick Imby

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MooseGoose BMX

I remember in 1980 Mongoose, a small American Made BMX company at the time came out with the Moose Goose. Within a month or two Huffy also came out with a Big guys BMX bike. The huffy had really short chainstays and you could not keep it from wheely--ing if you accelerated strongly.

Vintage mongoose: Moosegoose

I don't know how to post pictures here but this is a link to one of their old adverts.
Old 09-08-16, 06:07 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

The biggest issue with < 20 inch wheels is ride quality and performance unless you do things like add high performance tyres and a suspension / damping system.

Alex Moulten figured out the solution to that over 50 years ago.

My '66 Moulten has gotten a lot of upgrades with new wheels and modern running gear and is a rather brilliant bike.

I'd think the modern 20 Something would be a good pick as it is affordable (the wheels on my Moulten cost more) and should ride and perform quite nicely, the original Raleigh 20 is nicer in some respects but requires a fair bit of upgrading to up the performance.
Old 09-14-16, 05:00 PM
ckarr
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still think most folding bikes/mini bikes look ridiculous under a grown man.

Is there any way to get over that?
Old 09-14-16, 05:55 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by ckarr
I still think most folding bikes/mini bikes look ridiculous under a grown man.

Is there any way to get over that?
Yes, there is. Realize that a grown man/woman shouldn't give a dang about what others think of them. Then, all else falls into place.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself,...
Old 09-14-16, 06:13 PM
ckarr
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it helps I don't care what others think of me if I do ride a folding bike. I am saying that *I* think folding bikes look strange and even though I like the idea of having a folding bike due to its advantages I still would prefer a full size bike since it looks much more proportional and therefore better on me. So I ask again, is there any way to get over that?
Old 09-14-16, 06:24 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

So I ask again, is there any way to get over that?
Only you can answer that question, as I think people riding folding bikes look quite good. I thought this BEFORE I owned a folder, or 3 (or 4) myself.
Old 09-14-16, 07:07 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Do you feel the same way when you see an adult on a bmx bike? Same size. Personally, I think it is cool but if it makes you self-conscious only you can change that. If you have a really nice (expensive) folder, it helps to remind yourself that your bike probably cost more than most full sized bikes.
Old 09-15-16, 04:54 AM
thugpipe

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Again, I am not self conscious, please read properly, and for what it is worth I think the whole BMX "sport" is stupid. But lets stay on topic and talk about folding bikes.
Ok, so then what is the point of the topic? You personally have a problem with the aesthetics of small wheeled bicycles, not sure there is a solution for you. If you need a folder get a folder, if you need a small fold get one with small wheels and power through your distaste for the look and maybe with time you will come to terms with it. If you don't need a small fold get one with bigger wheels. As for Mini Velo, they ain't for everyone and not everyone appreciates their qualities, I personally love their weird look and characteristics.
Old 09-15-16, 05:11 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by thugpipe
Ok, so then what is the point of the topic? You personally have a problem with the aesthetics of small wheeled bicycles, not sure there is a solution for you. If you need a folder get a folder, if you need a small fold get one with small wheels and power through your distaste for the look and maybe with time you will come to terms with it. If you don't need a small fold get one with bigger wheels. As for Mini Velo, they ain't for everyone and not everyone appreciates their qualities, I personally love their weird look and characteristics.
I must admit, I sometimes get minivelo envy. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 09-15-16, 06:41 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it helps I don't care what others think of me if I do ride a folding bike. I am saying that *I* think folding bikes look strange and even though I like the idea of having a folding bike due to its advantages I still would prefer a full size bike since it looks much more proportional and therefore better on me. So I ask again, is there any way to get over that?
I like folding bikes because they look strange and different, but I do agree about adults on BMX bikes, I saw a bit of the bmx Olympic races the other week and whilst they were great to watch, a part of my brain thinks none of The riders Should be over 12 years old, but then I also think ditto for skateboards anywhere, anytime.

If you want the functionality of folding, but don't feel you're been seen at your best on 16 or 20 inch wheels, why not go the full sized folder route, a nice Montague, or a vintage Fugi or Rudge ?
Old 09-15-16, 06:44 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

A 24", 26", or 29" BMX bike is fine IMO. An adult looks kinda strange on a 20" BMX bike,...

PS: I own a 26" folding bike,...for those times that I feel like looking more adult'ish.
Old 09-15-16, 08:51 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel like riding a tank on a big bike ....
funny as my MTB has "small" wheels ( 26 ) and is at least 4 lbs lighter than my folding bike ...
one of these days I really should sell it ... Ti frame, xtr stuff etc etc lol
Old 09-28-16, 10:02 PM
Rick Imby

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been riding my Xootr Swift instead of one of my mountain bikes for commuting for the last month. Even if you can get over seeing a full size guy---I'm 6'3"---nobody else will.

The swift makes a great commuter.

I grin every time I get on the bike---I think that is part of it.
Old 09-30-16, 11:41 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wow... what is the make/model of the light blue bike with the nice upper arc? Sweet!
Old 09-30-16, 01:29 PM
Abu Mahendra

If you meant this bike, it is a Bannard Tension-R.

Originally Posted by Ozonation
Wow... what is the make/model of the light blue bike with the nice upper arc? Sweet!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.