Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

In need of help please. Handcycle

Old 07-07-18, 09:45 PM
AbiliTTV

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur 1988, I had many Schwinn bikes all ten speeds, road bikes, and some Raleigh bikes as well. One GT, some huffy models MTB's mainly.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Homemade from scratch Handcycle Done

Update - Handcycle lDone.

Thus was made using no:
Plans
Diagrams
Videos
99.99% No help from anyone else.

The one area I did get help with was truing the front wheels.They had a tow out of over 2 inches closer to 3 inches. While visually they appear to be zero tow our. Due to the camber of the front wheels.

Now they are 1/16th of an inch or less to each other.

​​That was a huge help.

No welds as of yet. And, so far knock on my forehead it's holding together.

Gearing:
11 speeds 46t Shimano M8000 Rear Cassette.

The rear wheel was an upgrade to accommodate the cassetes. Original wheel only had 7 speeds.

Chain - Five individual SRAM 11 speed 114 link each. Combined roughly 15 feet long.

Rear Mech: Shimano Deore long cage and mid cage.

Shifter - rear right hand side. Modified Shimano Deore XT thumb or flick shifter.

Cables - Jag wire

3 ring hand crank.

Wheel size 26" x 3

Front end width: 51" Outer fork to outer fork.

With the pulley support front end and the flags she is a whooping 9 feet long. 7 feet from steering U joint to back of rear tire, no rack.

The seat is an all steel tractor seat. I designed it to be supported by a spring in such a way to avoid cutting off the back of your thighs.

Seat back is a weight bench, bench cushion. The frame of the bike is from the same weight bench.

​​​​​​3 Mtn bikes help make the steering possible and the rear end.

Steering us based on the Ackerman design.

Does not lean when turning. But, self rights itsself.

So much fun to ride.

Last edited by AbiliTTV; 09-25-18 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Update - Handcycle is Complete.
Old 07-08-18, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Question

Nice try, at the home built BTW..

You may have to get it to a bike shop and have them take a look at it, in person.

the one here has dealt with some pretty complicated machines ..

and maybe adding electric motor assist will be needed, if the lower leg use loss is more recent ,
and arms musculature has not developed to the extent its possible ..

Rear wheel hub motor is most simple .. pedal electric feedback boosts just when the cranks rotate..

can you offer non FB pictures? not all have signed on.

You just have a lot going on there,
in things that will be adding up in energy losses..
so really no comparison with a simple bicycle drivetrain..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-08-18 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-08-18, 12:39 PM
AbiliTTV

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur 1988, I had many Schwinn bikes all ten speeds, road bikes, and some Raleigh bikes as well. One GT, some huffy models MTB's mainly.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying the upload feature again, this time using Firefox. Tried in Chrome and for me Chrome didn't work.

Hey this worked.

All the cable housing is full length. and moves smoothly. I am using Jagwire.

Here is where I originally had the chains set on the chain rings and cassette.

Handcrank chain ring (3 rings) on the largest. LEFT SIDE

The drive crank - Largest of the three chain rings. LEFT SIDE

The gear shifting chain ring/crank at largest ring. RIGHT SIDE.

The rear cassette - Largest cog. - RIGHT SIDE.

TODAY -
I did adjust the drive chain on the left to the smallest - LEFT SIDE

I then shifted the right chain ring to the smallest.

I moved the cassette to the second from largest cog to avoid crossing the chain. I think this is what it is called. Learned about that last night.

This does make pedaling somewhat easier...

I am not interested in power assist. Unless I can find it for $100 or less. Then I might consider it.

Old 07-08-18, 07:57 PM
AbiliTTV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Build it right. I had it in the wrong gear.

Today spent the day resetting the chain to the proper gear ratios.

I moves the front pulleys so they are centered to both sides.

Then took her for a test run....

She works. Now to just fine tune a few things.

I tried showing a video of me using the bike... It won't upload. Wrong format.

But, it was a pretty good and fun ride.
Old 09-13-18, 11:56 PM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a bada$$ build right there! Nice!
Old 09-21-18, 08:50 PM
AbiliTTV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.

I am pleased as a punch to report I took it out on from 10am to 2PM around my Towne village, and to the local park.

All of the main mechanics are (knock on my forehead ) working spot on. I have gone down a few curbs, over a bit of grassy field as I expected it was able t handle that sort of off road.

Taken her down a death hill as I call it.... Only cars can handle it. Most people can't even walk up it..

I realized I need some power in my brakes. So will save for Shimano Deore V Brakes.

The brakes I gave are V style brakes thst offer a soft brake feel. Even when I have them adjusted to produce a firm hard stop.

Oh yeah I am carrying a 25 lb boombox, and towing my wheelchair everyplace I go.

I originally used a camping chair frame for the main support of the rear rack.

I was just going to adjust it when I decided to have some fun with a rim I removed the spokes from.

I cut it in half, and adapted the ends to attach to the bike rear and the upper had holes for alignment for the top of the rack.

I then took two neck/handlebar holders and attached them to the rear of the flat part. Took one handlebar and slid it into the necks and tightened down.

​​​​​​This configuration is about 200% or more stronger than my oiginal ​​​​ design.

It is also about 50% lighter.

The bike weighs in at about 70lbs
The rear rack weighs about say 10 lbs.
​​​​​Boombox is 25 lbs plus say 5lbls its saddle that keeps it from falling.

Then the tow hook weighs 5 lbs
The wheelchair weighs 15 to 20 lbs. TiLite ZRA series 1

​​​​​​In the short time I have used this my arm and chest mules as well as my core mules have been working hard.

Imagine a weight workout for your upper body and cardiovascular at the same time.

My arms are already bulkier than ever with just my wheelchair.

And, man is this comfortable to ride. When I park and transfer to my wheelchair I quickly realize how comfortable I built this to be.

My handcrank design gives me two hand holds. One for flat roads, the other when starting from a dead stop going up hill... And, taking breaks on the hill.

If you imagine a rowing type feeling, I get to pull and push my way up hills.

This builds up stamina like no tomorrow.

From what a neighbor says his son has a nice handcycle and he told me, his son says it tires him out. Thst it is one heck of a hard workout.

I told him I noticed that also, and that is exactly why I built this as I did.

​​​​​​I have gotten her up to 30 MPH down hill and zero shimmy.

To see more if interested of course my Instagram is AbiliTV

All in all this bike has turned out 1000% better than I ever hooped.

I ride every other day to allow muscle development just like at a gym.

The real kicker is everything is bolted together no welds yet have been done to her.

I figure if I can't get things stable and solid with bolts... I don't trust a weld to hold up much better.

​​​​​​And, thanks. Everyone that sees her is amazed at the fact I use my arms and blown away when I say I built it from scratch. No plans, no video. Just out of my head as I went.

​​​​​​

Old 09-21-18, 08:59 PM
AbiliTTV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JusThe road I wheeled up as it is up hill to get to the local bike / triathlete shop Endurance House Zionsville and Fishers where I popped in to say hi

Old 09-21-18, 09:06 PM
AbiliTTV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike has a headlight, a horn, and a taillight that is above and behind my head.

It has a combined total of 4 feet of reflector tape. 14 front facing reflectors. 8 side reflectors. And, a few in the back.

And two small round red blinkers.

Soon will have a bike alarm. and I will get a long shackle padlock to lock to lock the handcrank.

Never know what people might take.

​​​​​​
Old 09-25-18, 10:46 PM
AbiliTTV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Alarm, and reused some old handrims

#Huffy #Invacare​​​​​
I was able to make the rear rack apart of the shock absorption system. It smith's out all but the worst potholes that the rear end roles over buy about 300% vs the original rack I designed.

The strength of this is at least 500% vs my original design.

It also makes the rear not as wobbly.

And, it looks world's better.

The rear wheelchair tow hook stays rock solid where I want it.

To make a would be thief thinK twice I installed a vehicle alarm on her.

The halved bike rim pulls inwards where the wheelchair handrims meet. The handrims pull outwards at rim contact points. The wheelchair tow hook pulls the handrims inwards by over 5 inches. With everything working like this makes the rack indanely rigid. Push on the sides and it just moves the entire rear end as on piece. The boombox saddle lost 2 lbs as the extra support wasnt needed now.

The flags are held by the handlebar necks and the cover piece that once held the screw to tighten the neck of each.
Old 09-27-18, 01:44 AM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The time, money, and thought look like they're paying off!

It's an impressive build!

If you're having soft breaking, have you tried Salmon coloured pads? I'm not sure if they'd help or not. Some nice big mountain bike disc breaks seem like an obvious next step... not that you should listen to this armchair critic, necessarily.

I get the sense you're pretty proud of the no welds aspect of your build, which is cool. However I can't help but wonder if a frame builder could measure your build and translate it into a welded frame, or something. Who knows? It might save a few pounds. And given the absolute bada$$ery of your brainchild build, maybe they'd do some sort of discount?

You've also got me wondering if there isn't some kind of Wikipedia for cool home builds like yours. I feel like others considering hand cycles might dig some of your innovations!

I'm a fan!
Old 10-13-18, 07:45 AM
AbiliTTV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Not yet tried those. Will look them up.

The brakes were soft from wire stretch. I never used new wires before. Now I can stop a tank woth the brakes.

I will be looking into the upgraded brake pads for even better stopping power.

Had a steering column support failure nearly. The double U joint allowed the peddling force to slowly fatigue the support piece. Thankfully I did reinforce it, buy not enough.

Solution was to lock the upper joint in the needed position so much less back and forth movement. And, adsed two straghtened large heavy duty L brackets to each side of the support. Bolted it down at the bottom with 4 sets of grade 8 bolts.

To maintain strength for the upper portion as holes did not align, I used a total of 6 hose clamps, extra strong ones. They pull and squeeze the flat L bars against the back of the support column so it looks nearly identical to the original desogn.

Power from arms to rear wheel have increased at least 25%. Steering control improved by over 30%.

Front support movement reduced by 99%. Had no idea how much it moved to start with.