Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 05:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This might sound like a dumb question, but this is the place, amirite?

I'm going to ask Santa for a new trainer and have been looking at the new smart trainers. Looks like most of them require external power to run the smart aspects, but can I use it to warm up for a race without plugging it in?
Old 12-07-18, 09:04 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

I'm going to ask Santa for a new trainer and have been looking at the new smart trainers. Looks like most of them require external power to run the smart aspects, but can I use it to warm up for a race without plugging it in?

Of the higher end, the Tacx Neo is the only one that works without power. The rest are just a big weight and once you get the flywheel moving, there is no real resistance without power. From a practical perspective, I have both a Neo and a gen 1 Kickr and they are both really heavy. I don't really even move them much and I would have to think really hard about hauling them to a race for a 15 min warm up.

If your looking and haven't decided, I would recommend spending the extra money and getting the Neo. I think it's a better all around trainer than the Kickr, although the new Kickr Core is a tremendous value if you don't want to spend that much.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/...ons-guide.html
Old 12-07-18, 09:37 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Kickr Core... bang for the buck.

Neo2 would be my choice if I was to get another. I own Neo 1
Old 12-08-18, 08:38 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I sometimes bring my kickr to races and use a small inverter with my car to power it.
Old 12-09-18, 05:55 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
If you specifically want something to warm up at races, the Feedback Omnium is a pretty good option. I have the track version. But it's not a smart trainer, and I'm not sure how good it is for regular training.
Old 12-12-18, 12:27 PM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I sometimes bring my kickr to races and use a small inverter with my car to power it.
I do this as well. it requires power but I read somewhere that it was very very little power. like 5w.
Old 12-12-18, 09:51 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I do this as well. it requires power but I read somewhere that it was very very little power. like 5w.
Team sky had a rig that ran off marine batteries for their kickrs.i just turn my car on.
Old 12-13-18, 11:32 AM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Team sky had a rig that ran off marine batteries for their kickrs.i just turn my car on.
yeah, when searching about how to run it remotely I saw that article which then let me feel just fine running it off my car battery w/o concern. I'm really never going to use it more than 15 minutes to warm up for an event.
Old 12-17-18, 12:30 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
yeah, when searching about how to run it remotely I saw that article which then let me feel just fine running it off my car battery w/o concern. I'm really never going to use it more than 15 minutes to warm up for an event.
Bro. Rollers.

my race videos
Old 12-17-18, 12:40 AM
mattm
**** that

Is it A Thing that "tubeless ready" rims are SUPER f-ing hard to mount non-tubeless tires on to?

I got some DT Switss P1600's for training wheels - they're "tubeless ready" but I just want to run them with gp4000s & tubes.

I gave up after five minutes of struggling to get the tire on.. I could maybe get it done, but really wondering if I want to repeat that struggle on the side of the road. Much less on the side of the road in the rain..

Perusing the user manual, it says to use "soap & water" to mount the tires... wtf.

Maybe it's just these wheels, maybe the tire, maybe it's just me, dunno.

Anyway anyone have experience with these? Or mounting regular tires on "tubeless ready" rims in general?

my race videos
Old 12-17-18, 06:42 AM
topflightpro

Yes, tubeless rims are harder to get tires on. And Contis tend to be harder to mount than some other tires. So that's kind of a double whammy.
Old 12-17-18, 09:26 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Is it A Thing that "tubeless ready" rims are SUPER f-ing hard to mount non-tubeless tires on to?

I got some DT Switss P1600's for training wheels - they're "tubeless ready" but I just want to run them with gp4000s & tubes.

I gave up after five minutes of struggling to get the tire on.. I could maybe get it done, but really wondering if I want to repeat that struggle on the side of the road. Much less on the side of the road in the rain..

Perusing the user manual, it says to use "soap & water" to mount the tires... wtf.

Anyway anyone have experience with these? Or mounting regular tires on "tubeless ready" rims in general?
I broke two tire levers and bent a butter knife getting mine on....
Old 12-17-18, 10:43 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yes, tubeless rims are harder to get tires on. And Contis tend to be harder to mount than some other tires. So that's kind of a double whammy.
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Ok so it's not just me.. time to sell these things and get some wheels I can deal with!

thx

my race videos
Old 12-17-18, 12:16 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

I already had these: Inside Ride E-Motion Rollers. I got the smart trainer resistance controller. It replaces the magnetic resistance controller and requires plug in, so you either have the magnetic "non-smart" resistance control that doesnt require plug in, or you have the "smart" electronic resistance control that requires plug in, but you could use these without resistance for warmups at races ... although carrying rollers in the car takes up a lot of space.
Old 12-17-18, 12:39 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Opinions on an affordable and reasonably “quick” tubular for time trial training?

I would prefer not train on a $130 tire but also not train on an absolute “dog” of a tire.

For a 21mm brake track (external measurement) disc wheel. Yes, train on the disc. Gotta learn to stay in the power in conditions.

Same for a front 19mm tire for a tri-spoke.

Tufo?
Old 12-17-18, 12:48 PM
topflightpro

Sprinters are pretty good. I've raced and trained on them. They're not too pricey either.

I may have a couple extras I could let go at a reasonable price. PM me if you're interested.
Old 12-17-18, 02:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
@mattm I also have some tubeless ready Spinergy's that are absolutely awful to get tires on and off. Fortunately they're just trainer and wheelpit/follow car wheels
Old 12-17-18, 06:14 PM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bro. Rollers.
you ever ride a tt bike in the sticks on rollers?

me either!
Old 12-17-18, 06:18 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
yes I've broken 4 tire irons... (enve + schwalbe(pro-one))

HED+Schwalbe (g-speed) I can do by hand.

I won't even use latex tubes on "tubeless ready" rims anymore... ruined too many tubes.
Old 12-17-18, 10:15 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Opinions on an affordable and reasonably “quick” tubular for time trial training?

I would prefer not train on a $130 tire but also not train on an absolute “dog” of a tire.

For a 21mm brake track (external measurement) disc wheel. Yes, train on the disc. Gotta learn to stay in the power in conditions.

Same for a front 19mm tire for a tri-spoke.

Tufo?
Gonna be a pain in the butt to keep two sets of tires around if you're gonna train and race on tubulars and want to have nicer and not nicer tires. Just being honest, but it's gonna not be a fun time. In your shoes I'd just train on alloy clinchers and switch to the nice wheels with nice tires for the couple of days before race day for shake outs and the actual race.

Key with the front will be finding a source for a narrow enough tire for racing that is still good on the rolling front. If you can find the conti gp supersonic in a narrow enough width, it'll be your best bet... good luck.. Once you get a tire wider than the rim, you're really sacrificing your gains aerodynamically. I pretty much only race my nice tires for my tt rig (supersonic on the front tri spoke, vittoria corsa speed on the disc). I'm too afraid to flat on em because they're expensive, nice and hard to find. I do take em out for a couple of dry runs before race day though to get the feel back. Other than that my tt bike just sits on the trainer.
Old 12-17-18, 10:18 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Yes. It's hard, but they're easier to get off than on. Especially once you've warmed em up riding. Conti's are notoriously hard to mount cold, let alone on a tubeless rim. Soap and water does help to get tubeless tires seated, but I've never had to use it to mount clinchers. A bead jack is the farthest I've gone and that was with wide tubeless tires on a decently narrow tubeless rim.
Old 12-18-18, 07:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Gonna be a pain in the butt to keep two sets of tires around if you're gonna train and race on tubulars and want to have nicer and not nicer tires. Just being honest, but it's gonna not be a fun time. In your shoes I'd just train on alloy clinchers and switch to the nice wheels with nice tires for the couple of days before race day for shake outs and the actual race.

Key with the front will be finding a source for a narrow enough tire for racing that is still good on the rolling front. If you can find the conti gp supersonic in a narrow enough width, it'll be your best bet... good luck.. Once you get a tire wider than the rim, you're really sacrificing your gains aerodynamically. I pretty much only race my nice tires for my tt rig (supersonic on the front tri spoke, vittoria corsa speed on the disc). I'm too afraid to flat on em because they're expensive, nice and hard to find. I do take em out for a couple of dry runs before race day though to get the feel back. Other than that my tt bike just sits on the trainer.
I'd just ride the disc/trispoke in shorter and fast training rides to get the hang of it. But, that'd still be enough mileage to warrant not toasting some 100 mile TT tires. I'd only probably swap the tires twice per year. Coordinate it well enough I'm not swapping tires all the time.

Otherwise, for rides longer than a 10 mile training ride I can swap over my 50mm roadie clincher wheelset. It's an older Giant SLR wheelset that still rolls nice.

I wouldn't roll the tubulars on rides longer than 10 miles, for risking a flat. I know people carry a pre-glued spare tire, or a patch kit, but whatever.
Old 12-18-18, 09:08 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you ever ride a tt bike in the sticks on rollers?

me either!
i have. but on the e-motion ones, which aren't as penal as other more typical/standard rollers.
Old 12-18-18, 09:15 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I'd just ride the disc/trispoke in shorter and fast training rides to get the hang of it. But, that'd still be enough mileage to warrant not toasting some 100 mile TT tires. I'd only probably swap the tires twice per year. Coordinate it well enough I'm not swapping tires all the time.

Otherwise, for rides longer than a 10 mile training ride I can swap over my 50mm roadie clincher wheelset. It's an older Giant SLR wheelset that still rolls nice.

I wouldn't roll the tubulars on rides longer than 10 miles, for risking a flat. I know people carry a pre-glued spare tire, or a patch kit, but whatever.
To do a glue job well enough that it won't give you horrendous CRR is going to take a day or two plus. Very unpractical and rife with potential issues.
Old 12-18-18, 09:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
To do a glue job well enough that it won't give you horrendous CRR is going to take a day or two plus. Very unpractical and rife with potential issues.
Yes, I’ve seen 3 days rim prep and another day after that for applying the tire and having it rest. As per google search anyway and Park Tool demo.

That is fine with me. I have the Crockett and Propel I can ride. It’s Crockett season right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.