Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you guys think of AXS Red?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 01:01 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts

I just bought the 2020 Roubaix with the Red AXS 12 speed drive train. I'm loving the gearing, which gives me more low end range for climbing and one more high gear for fast descending. So far, the shifting is more or less flawless. This is my first non-Shimano drive train on a road bike. I would say the only downside of this groupset is the ergonomics on the shifters. They're bulky and not terribly friendly to small hands. More importantly, however, they've increased the size of the shifter paddles. Ordinarily, that would sound like a great idea. However, with the reach adjusted to my preference (pretty far in), my knuckles his the shift paddles when I'm in the drops. The only way to remedy that is to either file down the paddles (obviously, not desirable) or increase the reach (also not desirable). It almost seems like SRAM didn't bother to test the ergonomics with the reach adjusted in.

My Di2 Dura Ace groupset is much better from an ergonomics standpoint. Smaller hoods and none of the goofiness with the levers when in the drops.

Anyone else out there experience this? Or am I the only one who has pulled the reach in?
Old 06-16-19, 01:46 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
I just bought the 2020 Roubaix with the Red AXS 12 speed drive train. I'm loving the gearing, which gives me more low end range for climbing and one more high gear for fast descending. So far, the shifting is more or less flawless. This is my first non-Shimano drive train on a road bike. I would say the only downside of this groupset is the ergonomics on the shifters. They're bulky and not terribly friendly to small hands. More importantly, however, they've increased the size of the shifter paddles. Ordinarily, that would sound like a great idea. However, with the reach adjusted to my preference (pretty far in), my knuckles his the shift paddles when I'm in the drops. The only way to remedy that is to either file down the paddles (obviously, not desirable) or increase the reach (also not desirable). It almost seems like SRAM didn't bother to test the ergonomics with the reach adjusted in.

My Di2 Dura Ace groupset is much better from an ergonomics standpoint. Smaller hoods and none of the goofiness with the levers when in the drops.

Anyone else out there experience this? Or am I the only one who has pulled the reach in?
So why did you "upgrade" to SRAM 12speed?
Old 06-16-19, 07:54 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
It came on the bike?

Its lighter, has another gear, is American like the bike? All possible reasons.

But the question isn't exactly fair; upgrading wasn't mentioned.

I say bust out the Dremel and trim those paddles. The cut edge will be barely visible.
Old 06-16-19, 08:00 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
It came on the bike?

Its lighter, has another gear, is American like the bike? All possible reasons.

Calling SRAM(or Specialized) American is a stretch.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-16-19, 09:00 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I have the eTap Red on two bikes and really like it. One bike I converted from Ultegra Di2 when AXS came out because the price was so great and I wasn’t ready to hop on the 12 speed bandwagon yet.

I was a little disappointed that SRAM came out with casettes with a 10 tooth cog. I don’t really want the higher gearing, I’d have preferred the lower 11 tooth cog instead and then tightened up the spacing a little bit somewhere else in the middle to end. I’m going to wait this out and see if either SRAM or some third party comes out with a cassette with the 11 speed top end first. Other than that, I think it looks pretty good. Wireless makes for a very clean set up and for air travel with a bike, it’s the way to go.
Old 06-17-19, 01:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have no Actual opinion (use-based opinion) on this drive train. I have a lot of issues with the drive train based on engineering (efficiency loss, unnecessary gear range) and think it is more a gimmick than a breakthrough, but that is not based on use.

However ... here we have someone who actually laid ou the cash for this expensive new drive train ... who doesn't like it.

I don't know if Sram didn't test the ergonomics or merely made possibly awkward choices .... maybe people with larger hands love the shifter.

But this person doesn't like it---which makes me wonder why the OP bought the bike, knowing the shifter didn't fit ... or if there was no or insufficient test-riding?

In any case, OP ... you bought it, you own it. No point in asking how it works for others----it doesn't work for you.

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I say bust out the Dremel and trim those paddles. The cut edge will be barely visible.
Old 04-23-20, 11:14 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

I actually think the gear ranges are much more sensible than conventional ranges, but I spend most of my time in the hills. I’m the OP. I got the levers adjusted to the point where they’re comfortable in terms of clearance in the drops. Having used the drivetrain for a year now, I’d say for the most part it’s great and an overall improvement from Di2 because of a gearing that works better for me. I don’t like the hoods as much as Shimano, but that’s the primary trade-off. I also have this drivetrain on my Canyon Ultimate, but with larger chainrings on the crankset.

As for efficiency, my guess is the science here is more complicated than simply looking at the isolated variable of chainring size. Regardless, there are so many other variables that ultimately influence how much of your body’s power ends up in the road. I’m not going to sweat chain efficiency much.
Old 04-24-20, 07:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
So why did you "upgrade" to SRAM 12speed?
That's what went through my mind as well. One must sometimes learn the hard way I wouldn't say it's an upgrade though, DI2 is clearly bettah.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-24-20 at 07:32 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-24-20, 07:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Asking for opinions after the purchase has already happened. That's the 41 way.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-24-20, 08:52 AM
justonwo

Originally Posted by eduskator
That's what went through my mind as well. One must sometimes learn the hard way I wouldn't say it's an upgrade though, DI2 is clearly bettah.
Originally Posted by seypat
Asking for opinions after the purchase has already happened. That's the 41 way.
Read post #7. It’s my opinion after riding AXS for a year. Also, if you read my OP I was asking specifically about the lever reach issue. And, yes, sometimes it’s difficult to fully assess this kind of stuff in test rides at local bike shops. But thanks for your comments.
Old 04-24-20, 09:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
OP, was your DI2 hydraulic disc? I ask because that is a large part of the increase in hood size.
Old 04-25-20, 08:40 AM
justonwo

Originally Posted by topflightpro
OP, was your DI2 hydraulic disc? I ask because that is a large part of the increase in hood size.
No, it was the rim brake version. I have tried Shimano’s disc brake Di2, and they’re still smaller than SRAM. Overall, I like the functionality of AXS more, however. The hood size is my only nitpick.

The clutch on the RD is also quite effective at eliminating chain slap. Another nice perk.
Likes For justonwo: